• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

220,000 mile K12 LT (99)

MSHELTON146301

Good morning. My 99 K12 has just over 220,000 miles and I've not had to touch the engine. A clutch, exhaust system and a rear bearing, but nothing on the engine. I recently noticed that when I start it in the a.m. it blows a puff of blue smoke, then it clears up and runs great. Is there anyone else out there with this many miles that has the same problem? Thanks in advance.
Modesto Mike

Mike,

I moved your post to the K bike section so you could get more exposure from folks likely to have an answer to your question.

Bud

I put it on the center stand at work..but the side stand at home. I have noticed that that makes a big difference in the "puff" of smoke in the a.m. I'm thinking it might be the valve stem seals??

Good morning. My 99 K12 has just over 220,000 miles and I've not had to touch the engine. A clutch, exhaust system and a rear bearing, but nothing on the engine. I recently noticed that when I start it in the a.m. it blows a puff of blue smoke, then it clears up and runs great. Is there anyone else out there with this many miles that has the same problem? Thanks in advance.
Modesto Mike

WOW 220K!! You get a lot of miles in. NICE.

I only have about 45,000 on my '93 brick and it does the same thing. I go through about a quart of oil in 1000-1200 miles and nothing is leaking. 99% of the time it is on the centerstand.

Modesto Mike

Does use any oil in significant amounts? I.e. quart every 1,000 miles

I think this used to be check for bad valve stem seals on V-8's.
Procedure was to run them at higher RPM's for ways while driving down the road. Totally let off of the gas and decel for aways and then reapply throttle. If they smoked it was drawing oil in around the valve stem seals. Not sure if this would work on a horizontal engine or not.

No I don't have that many miles on my two K-bikes combined

Roy

At 220,000 miles I would not worry about a puff of smoke on start up I have a friend with 2000 Lt that smokes on start up with less than 40K on it.

Id kiss the old girl on the windshield:kiss for starting and ride off into the sunset with a big smile....:)

Thanks for the replies...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It really doesn't use hardly any oil at all. Actually, it's running as good or better than it did when it was new. If I had to guess, it's probably using a quart every 3-4000 miles. I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic 5-30. I think I'll stop worrying about it and just enjoy the ride. What a great machine!!! I commute from Modesto, CA to Oakland everyday. About 75 miles each way, so the miles add up quickly. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It really doesn't use hardly any oil at all. Actually, it's running as good or better than it did when it was new. If I had to guess, it's probably using a quart every 3-4000 miles. I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic 5-30. I think I'll stop worrying about it and just enjoy the ride. What a great machine!!! I commute from Modesto, CA to Oakland everyday. About 75 miles each way, so the miles add up quickly. Thanks again everyone.

5-30 is a bit light for the factory recommendations which is 15-50. Try the correct oil viscosity and see if that makes for an improvement.

15-50 especially from Modesto to Oakland in the summer, that is a warm ride for 30 wt. When I commuted from Fiddletown to Sac, I would sometimes go to a 5-40 or so in the winter when temps were at or below freezing, but always a 50 for summer temps. But, heck, if you have 220K, why change?

Back