• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tenting area??

Roninfla1

Roninfla1
This is my first International Rally. I plan on arriving Wed afternoon and was wondering where is the tenting area. Do I need to arrive earlier to get a better spot?? Is the tent are within the fairgrounds or off site?? Thanks in advance..Ron:drink

Ditto.

I have had some of the same questions, but couldn't find any answers on the web site, forums, magazine... I just didn't want to be the first to ask. :whistle

This will be my first major rally too.

Do we need to worry about having enough spaces for tents? Are the spaces limited? Do we need to register for the rally ahead of time to get tenting spaces?

A secondary question is about the tenting area itself. From the satellite photos (Yes, I have been really searching for specifics on the tenting areas!) it looks pretty dusty with no shade.
Are there trees in the tenting area(s)?
Is there grass in the tenting area(s)?

THANKS!!

There is always the Sherpa service. Then you don't have to worry about space for your tent or packing your tent, sleeping bag, air matress, pillow, or chair. And, from what I understand, there is some form of shade provided. Just a thought.....

There is always the Sherpa service. Then you don't have to worry about space for your tent or packing your tent, sleeping bag, air matress, pillow, or chair. And, from what I understand, there is some form of shade provided. Just a thought.....

I'll provide 1,200 sqft of awning shade for Sherpa customers, but do not count on tents themselves being shaded.

20+ times, tenting at these;

I've been to so many and I tent every time. Some tips! Every rally seems to be quite different, so getting there is always an eye opener as to what, where and just what to expect, as i've seen it. I always ask too, with a ton of experience for pictures of the rally sites to be posted and once in a while, "someone" of the members gets r done here. I've not seen any pictures this year yet:(. Satelite photos are NOT ground level, good photos, imo. I'm sorry, some tips are; I pack my own shade tarp and a few models are available. Kelty is one company. Camp away from the obvious routes of travel, within the grounds. Makes for messy camping and noise, if you do so. Wed. arrivals are taking a LOT of the premium sites for tents, but frequently many are still available in the sun. Take shade, even if its only an umbrella on a chair! Grass in Tenn.? Probably not a huge issue, as its pretty green back there all the time:). I'm guessing(hoping), as I'm coming from desert country, rare grass. Anyhow, I camp and usually find it peaceful:). Randy...PS; the "Sherpa Camp Org." seems to have a following and they have earned some respect, with their organized tenting at the rallies. You may look them up, for more details. See you there.:thumb

So what's the big deal about shade? Most rallies don't have much and IMO it is not good or needed.

Do you plan to spend the daylight hours in your tent? (feeling sorry for yourself, don't get homesick junior camper).

If it rains, trees keep the drips going long after the rain is over. Some trees have sap and birds dripping on your precious tent.

In a storm sometimes limbs fall from trees. Of course storms never occur at these rallies (W.Va Lima, Gillette)

Camping spots are tough to gauge, an early chosen spot may seem good until many others move in nearby. Sometimes a middle of the road approach is good because you can get a feel for what you are moving into, and fewer can come afterwords to make a major change. I like to try to keep my machine by the tent, leaning away for safety's sake. If you move in too early you may find yourself land locked and have to leave the machine some distance away (if it matters to you).

Lots to do at the rally in the daytime & evening, by late evening your tent will be cool & comfortable. Don't sleep in too late and the tent will not overheat you.

Go see the sights at the sites, buy things from the vendors, ride the local roads if you wish or visit with the BMW MOA breathen. I have seldom found it a problem to discuss riding & bikes at one of these rallies, the members LOVE to chat & BS, I've even learned a few things, even from OLDER riders.

And don't forget that the BMW specific items that many of the vendors will be selling are NOT usually available at the shop around the corner from your house to try on and hold in your hot little paw and be able to judge for yourself if it is worthy of you and/or your bike.

Last edited:
I'll provide 1,200 sqft of awning shade for Sherpa customers, but do not count on tents themselves being shaded.

Yes I was aware that the tents may not be shaded. I meant, from reading others earlier posts, that I knew there was a shaded area provided. I don't plan on spending much time at the tent shade or not.:thumb

Shade...

This is our first rally as well, and I was planning on bringing along my Kelty tarp to set up some shade next to the tent. This would give us a place to sit and chat (in the shade or out of the rain) near our tent. We typically bring it with us when we are camping. Just curious, are you guys who've been to the rally's before suggesting that I should forgo bringing it along to the rally?

check the Rally map for the camping areas. there will be lots of camping space. shaded camping? not so much. I've found a 10' x 10' Easyup works great. if you are not pulling a trailer to put all the shade in, I suggest you arrive early or contact Sherpa Ted...

tenting early

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on getting ther early YOU WILL NEED TO volunteer. And I think if you show up next week the best sites will be gone (this is a joke).
Bring shade or get out of the tent early. There will be places there to get out of the sun or rain.
Please do enjoy yourself. My First National was in the CA desert and I found enough cover not to be cooked.

Brian Fisk

Pack it;

If you've got it, pack it along, as its a valuable tool. Shade is worthy of the effort. Just remember, IF storms do approach, most shade assemblies will be coming down as they usually don't do well in high wind, stormy stuff. I've seen it all and Know from where I speak:)...I cannot stay away from my tent all day and the shady spot is some real relief, so pack it. Randy:thumb:usa

Back