Thread: tank bags

davidwelstead

tank bags

Need some advice on a tank bag.2009 1200Rt. Don't want one too high, just for small items. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwelstead View Post
    Need some advice on a tank bag.2009 1200Rt. Don't want one too high, just for small items. Any ideas?
    There have been a couple of recent threads for tank bag suggestions -- here's one:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....ight=tank+bags

By high -- do you mean too "tall" or "expensive"? I bought the BMW tank bag for my RT -- but it was expensive -- occasionally you might find a used one on ebay, but they go fast. Does a great job and is easily removed for fueling. It's expandable, too. Seemed tall and bulky at first, but I got accustomed to it and appreciate how much stuff it carries.

There are lots of other tank bag suggestions -- give the forum search tool a try if you don't find what you're looking for in the thread I provided..
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Quote Originally Posted by davidwelstead View Post

Hi Dave, I'm going to move this to the Gear section where it will get more attention.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

RTFlyer
    I really didn't want a tank bag at all because they look out-of-place to me. But after a few weeks of riding, I realized the pure utility of them. I checked every forum and looked at dozens of web sites. Then I just sucked it up and went with the BMW bag for my '09 RT. In the end, I felt like nothing else would attach as simply, look like it belonged there, and remove easily for fueling. It was more expensive that any other option, but I'm happy with it.

I'd love to hear about other options and how they work out.

I really like my Wolfman Enduro, although I ride a GS. It is fairly small but still holds the necessities.

ARTHURSHORT

Tankbags

I own a Marsee tank bag and think it suits me just fine. Not too expensive, not too tall, turns into a backpack, came with a rain cover and a small bag that attaches to it for electronic items (cell phone, I-pod etc.) Bag can be attached to your belt, easy to move for refueling etc. etc.. Great quality. They have a variety of models, so you would be smart to check them out.
    www.marseeproducts.com
    Good luck! Have fun! Ride safe!
    Last edited by arthurshort; 06-18-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: missing word

+1 on the BMW Tank Bag - it is very versitle.

YMMV
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I really like my Marsee 6L Caio Borsa tank bag. I ordered it from the factory installed with the Powerlet option. I've run a Powerlet cable up from the bike's accessory port, under the seat, under the fuel tank and cable-tied to the front. the bag plugs in there, and inside I have a split cig. lighter adapter, one for power to the cell phone and one to power my Garmin.

I ordered it with the Corona mount, so nothing is touching the gas tank except the locking ring around the fuel filler port. The bag is just right for carrying the small essentials, cell phone, a can of Plexus and a bottle of water. Also keep a cable in there to lock up my helmet/jacket/pants to the bike when I'm away.