• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fargo to Duluth

alzyck

Hello All,

I'm doing some traveling on my RT this summer. One of the legs will be from Fargo to Duluth.

Any opinions on U.S. 2 vs. U.S. 10? It looks like they both are about the same distance.

Thanks

Al

Highway 2 swings you further north and into more woods and lakes. Highway 10 doesn't go all the way to Duluth, so you'd have to swing off on other highways, so no big deal.

10 may take you through more small towns and stoplights and stop signs, but you'll get to see them, at least. I've gone up 10 a few times from here in the Cities. I think highway 2 may have a bit more character, woods, lakes, etc.

I have ridden both several times between your destinations. Both have four lane sections (10 perhaps more) and have by passes for many of the small towns. Truck traffic on 2 has struck me as different than on 10. I am not certain if it is the number of trucks or the way you encounter and deal with them.

What about using a circle route? Use one going and the other returning. Reverse the two on another trip and you will see the same route from a different perspective.

If you're into Bob Dylan at all, one of those gets you pretty close to Hibbing, MN, Dylans hometown. They have a festival every year. Other than that I don't know if it would be worth an intentional side trip. There is a Zimmys restaraunt, I think related somehow. Also the Greyhound bus museum. Yeah I know, it's just me....

Gilly

Truck traffic on 2 has struck me as different than on 10. I am not certain if it is the number of trucks or the way you encounter and deal with them.

What about using a circle route? Use one going and the other returning. Reverse the two on another trip and you will see the same route from a different perspective.

Thanks for the info. The circle trip would be great idea, but I'm not returning home through Fargo. After I leave Duluth, I'm heading down through Mpls and Des Moines.

When you mentioned truck traffic, did you think the truck traffic was worse on US 2?

Thanks for the info. The circle trip would be great idea, but I'm not returning home through Fargo. After I leave Duluth, I'm heading down through Mpls and Des Moines.

When you mentioned truck traffic, did you think the truck traffic was worse on US 2?

I don't think the volume is worse on 2. Ten has the leg up on 2 by more 4 lane miles making passing less of an issue.

Forced to make the choice between them I would pick 2 for touring. It is much prettier.

Every Monday I leave Duluth and head to Fergus Falls on Hwy 210,very good road, wide brushed back shoulders very little truck traffic,hardly any animals on the road,maybe a turkey every once in awhile.The only downside is on the weekends everyone headed to the cabin,this might be a little longer but a lot better road,rolling farmland west of Staples.

Just did a Duluth - Fargo - Duluth segment and took Highway 200 that parallels 2 for most of the distance. Two lane, good surface, trees. Weekdays less traffic.

Back