• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

first bmw, now what?

J

jberlin5

Well i have joined the elite. I bought a 2002 r 1100rt. This is my first BMW. I have been riding for over 20 years and i have had several different bikes. Now that i have my Beemer i have a few questions.

How can i get better performance out of the bike, better throttle response would be nice. Do any of these mapping chips work?

What are the best bar risers that will bring the bars out a little to relieve the pressure on my wrist. I have several other questions but i am a newbie here so i will read through the other threads to see what everyone has to say and suggest.

Thanks for for having a great site that a guy like me can learn on.

ride safe
jberlin5 ::ear

Welcome to the Forum!

First off, welcome to the forum. You will find a great group of people and lot's of info here. For your RT the "Oilheads" forum will have the most info but I can help out a little.

I had a 2004 R1150RT and I put Suburban Machinery handlebar risers on it. Up and back about an inch, made all the difference and a real easy install. (www.suburban-machinery.com). I know there are other kits out there as well.

As far as performance, I have heard good things about the techlusion units on the 1 plug RT's (the "04 was a 2 spark plug per cylinder engine).(www.techlusion.com)
I haven't used one so I can only pass on an anecdotal recommendation.

But search around a bit and you should find a wealth of info.

Once again, welcome!:wave

With my tongue firmly in cheek: Now What? Ride, eat, sleep, repeat. :laugh

Congrats on the new ride. I have the risers and they work fine.

You will find that in the BMW culture, there is not a lot of emphasis of increasing performance via chips, pipes etc. Not that it is better or worse, just difference.

Loud pipes are also not very high on Beemer riders list of accessories.

How about posting a picture of your new bike. We all drool when we see them.

I would encourage you to find a local charter club and join up with some good folks who will be a great source of info as well.

Ride Well

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the RT!
First off, I am also new here at BMW MOA and some of the other riders here have much more experience than I do, but I have to add my $0.02 worth anyway...
I would suggest riding the RT for a while (Ride, eat, sleep, repeat) and find out what it needs. My RT already has plenty of power and really doesn't need much. I usually make my upgrades based upon need...
Some of the first things I added were bar risers (I wanted to ride in a more upright position), the largest windscreen I could find (I ride year round and needed a wind screen that would block it all!), and a power outlet to plug in my cell phone and gps.
Before I left for Alaska I added these to help protect my RT: Front Extended Fender and Engine Protection Guards.
Last fall I found myself riding after dark and I added PIAA 1100X Driving Lights.
Just last month I added a rear extended fender. Not that anything was bad about the stock fender, I just wanted to have more room to add more of my stickers. :)
I hope this helps.

How can i get better performance out of the bike, better throttle response would be nice. Do any of these mapping chips work?

as Steve mentioned, a Techlusion might help with any small irregularities you might be experiencing (surging between 3 and 4K is one of them).

you bike as delivered from the factory is about 95 hp. don't expect much more than a sound enhancement from a pipe. there's not a lot of "enhancements" out there that will boost your hp number. not sure what you've had in the past but these flat twins take a little getting used to, they aren't going to feel like an inline 4 or a ducati v-twin. they are slower reving engines with fairly linear torque curves.

as Steve mentioned, a Techlusion might help with any small irregularities you might be experiencing (surging between 3 and 4K is one of them).

you bike as delivered from the factory is about 95 hp. don't expect much more than a sound enhancement from a pipe. there's not a lot of "enhancements" out there that will boost your hp number. not sure what you've had in the past but these flat twins take a little getting used to, they aren't going to feel like an inline 4 or a ducati v-twin. they are slower reving engines with fairly linear torque curves.

The Techlusion is nice. For a while. Then the ECU "learns" it's way back to lean fueling and the surging just comes back.
I've been playing around with surging oilheads for several years now and tried every surging "fix" out there. Most of them do not work consistently or permanently.

If you want to fix lean fueling (which causes the surging) permanently get an AF-XIED from Beemer Boneyard and install it.
Another new wonderful fix for surging 1100s and 1150s is to install R1200 modern injectors. These atomize fuel much better. Reports from the field are very positive. There is a thread here somewhere also but this one has good info and lots of feedback on what balanced modern injectors can do to improve your ride.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1200gs-injectors-in-the-1100gs-vrooom.1181054/

Dang HappyW,

Had me seeing some former posters names from that blast from the past thread you found:scratch

Miss those guys.

Back