• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight modulator

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
My all-white RTP came with a headlight modulator. For some time I thought an all-white RTP with a flashing headlight was overkill. Then this happened the other day, in a nearby town:

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_052709WAB-lakewood-motorcycle-accident-TP.2120578b.html

80 year-old driver claims she didn't see the motor officer on his police motorcycle coming down the road.

Now my headlight modulator is on all the time, overkill be damned.

I have one on my R80. I either need to move it to the GSPD when I ride to the rally, and ultimately buy a second one. I only use it in the city in certain traffic conditions, and then just about always out in the country to help with the "rolling stop" people. I don't use it on the highway, though maybe I should since people still try to change lanes into me on occasion, even with my high-viz jacket on.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, headlight modulators may make some people upset or down right angry but I don't give a d**n. Better for me and my family if I am still alive even with other drivers angry at me or the headlight modulator. So long as they are legal to use any problems the other driver has in regard to their proper use is their problem. If a driver attacks me out of a random violance in regard to my modulator I'll deal with it as it occurs.

I'd rather the other drivers see me and be upset than me dead due to the "I didn't see the motorcycle driver - Honest" routine.

I have put head light and tail light modulators on all of my motorcycles in recent years except where I had a HID head light. They do not take kindly to modulation. I am ceriously thinking of adding a head light modulator to my new RT. I'm tinking of converting the low beam to HID, but leaving the high beam as a standard halogen H7 and modulating it. Just for the additional safety factor.

I'd rather the other drivers see me and be upset than me dead due to the "I didn't see the motorcycle driver - Honest" routine.

OK. Just don't believe that because you've got a modulator that all of a sudden you are no longer invisible. Some still won't see you. Some can't even see big red trucks with flashing red and white lights and a siren.

OK. Just don't believe that because you've got a modulator that all of a sudden you are no longer invisible. Some still won't see you. Some can't even see big red trucks with flashing red and white lights and a siren.

I know that. :) But a modulator certainly does add an additional level of visibility.

I am not doubting the thought process for using a modulator- we each need to do what makes us feel safer in this soundproof 4-wheel, cellphone blabbing world.

But have any studies been done that indicate whether or not they actually increase other driver awareness?

Not trying to be a wiseguy.

John

Conspicuity

I can personally vouch for the big red truck with flashing lights and a siren thing. I drive one, and they do occasionally pull out in front of it. Have you given any thought to Shoei's ORANGE TZ-R helmet? I wear one, and have seen people see me. That is, they start to move and suddenly stop. No guarantees, but it does seem to help.

Modulator vs extra bright headlight

I find the modulator much nicer that the mostly Harley's I pass with those extra bright three head lights. I see the modulator about the same distance, it does not blind like those illegal extra bright head lights.

I turn mine off a long stoplights, but almost all the time its on. I had people ask if it suppose to do that, so I know they notice the attention device.

Sing like no one is listening, Dance like no one watching, and Ride your Beemer for the pure pleasure.

I ride with MotoLights and a Vision Vest (Hi-Viz Green) all the time. I can see a pronounced difference in people's gaze preference drawn to me when I use the head light modulator. It's like a primitive instinct of moths being drawn to light! I've also noticed a few start to pull out in front of me, then pause. I also notice some people changing lanes to let me pass, too...still have a few who pull over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle, too.

Yeah, but he hit her.

Didn't read the article so don't know the specific details, but bike hitting car is what usually happens when an oncoming vehicle doesn't yield the right of way and makes a left turn in front of the bike.

Last time my ABS went off (which was a surprise as I didn't feel I was anywhere close to the traction limits) was when running an errand last week and had someone driving in the opposite direction decide to do a U-turn in front of me. Not a big deal as I saw him slow down and was prepared for the illegal-in-more-ways-than-one action. I think that's why the ABS triggering surprised me.

I find the modulator much nicer that the mostly Harley's I pass with those extra bright three head lights. I see the modulator about the same distance, it does not blind like those illegal extra bright head lights.

My Electra Glide Classic's passing lamps (the side lights) are aimed properly and are on all the time. People pick me out easier than my friend's motorcycles. They turn off if I turn on my high beam. People don't flash their lights at me, nor does anyone find it blinding. Just visible.

My lights are legal in Ontario, not sure about Michigan.
btw, I am adding a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator to my HD. With the wiring harness I got from EasternBeaver, more current going to the bulb should help also.

I am not doubting the thought process for using a modulator- we each need to do what makes us feel safer in this soundproof 4-wheel, cellphone blabbing world.

But have any studies been done that indicate whether or not they actually increase other driver awareness?

Not trying to be a wiseguy.

John

We have a few guys in our group that have modulators....I ride behind them as I personally find them more distracting. I always think they are signalling for help.

Not a slam against them...I'll stick with the triangle approach with MotoLights or my Piaas. I have too many flashbacks of the 70's and strobe lights:groovy

Yeah, but he hit her.

Little Wonder...

"The man was riding his motorcycle westbound when witnesses said a red car pulled out in front of him from an AlbertsonÔÇÖs parking lot.
The officer was thrown over the car after he smashed into the driverÔÇÖs door."

I have too many flashbacks of the 70's and strobe lights:groovy

Wow, did ya HEAR that? ITs the cops! put it away! LOL

on a serious note, the U turn freaks out there just whip it around and then WHAM your'e out...
LOst two bikers last year for that manuevor (SP)... One of the drivers was a 78 yr old at 2 AM in the morning... What the heck!

I like the Moto lites as well.

Isn't there a plug and play modulator?
I really hate tapping into wires.

Well,,,,relatively plug and play. I know in the case of my RT it wasn't too difficult. The modulator box has the appropriate terminations on the wires to plug into the headlamp bulb assembly. But, you must find a suitable ground connection and route the daylight photocell sensor wire to a suitable place on the bike. I had to make one hole in the back of my headlamp cover in order to route the daylight sensor. I believe their instructions wanted to mount the box outside of the headlight and route the three wires to the highbeam inside.

I was able to find a ground on one of the metal bulb frames inside the headlight housing, too.

You can see details with photos here:

I thought I saw one awhile back that plugs in to the lamp socket and the bulb into that.

Hmmm... I do need to get one though. Seattle area drivers suh-uk.
Cellphone use while driving is tolerated in the form of a "secondary offense".
You have to do something really stupid first to be pulled over.
Then they'll cite you for cell use.

Seems to me that there is a paradox.

I thought I saw one awhile back that plugs in to the lamp socket and the bulb into that.

Hmmm... I do need to get one though. Seattle area drivers suh-uk.
Cellphone use while driving is tolerated in the form of a "secondary offense".
You have to do something really stupid first to be pulled over.
Then they'll cite you for cell use.

Seems to me that there is a paradox.

Guy driving a black M6 convertible pulled up alongside me this morning, heading down Cherry St. towards 4th Ave in downtown Seattle, right in front of the Rainier Club. He's texting away on his mobile device. Glances up at me to make sure I'm not a cop, and then goes right back to his texting. Gets honked at by the guy behind him for not paying attention when the light turns green. The guy is likely 5 minutes from his office - what can't wait five minutes?

BTW, texting while driving is a primary offense in Washington. Talking while driving w/o a hands-free device is a secondary offense.

Back