• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

jacket for late summer/fall

Usedtopilot

This is only my second post, having posted once before with regard to the MSF's BRC course- which I took about a month ago.

With a view to comfortable and safe riding apparel, I wanted a few recommendations on a jacket for late summer/fall (in AL). I have a leather jacket/pants, but believe right now I need something more than a long-sleeved shirt for protection.

I've only been riding for about a week (no... I didn't purchase a BMW, but three days ago I did purcase a used Honda Shadow 600 from my local dealer). All of you on this forum have been so supportive of my entry into this wonderful sport, though, so I was hoping to get your input on a reasonably priced jacket.

Thanks...
Julia

The only jacket I own is a Joe Rocket "Ballistic". Non-leather with a zip out lining. It has armor on the elbows and shoulders. I got it a slightly oversized so I could wear multiple layers in the colder weather, and in the warm weather I can un-zip it slightly for air circulation. There are lots of similar types of jackets available. Some have zippered vents for air flow.

I have the BMW AeroFlow 1 Suit and am pretty happy with it. What I like about it is that the material is designed to break up the wind so that windburn does not occur.

Re: Mesh Jacket

Spider said:
I got a FirstGear Mesh-Tex from www.newenough.com at a close out price. Fits very well, and is very comfortable in the summer weather.:D

Thats what I got, too! Great jacket at a great price. I had a Spidi Net which I returned and ate a 20% restock - I hated it so much.

Only thing is mesh jackets are good only over 75 deg or so. I find in the evening I'm chilled a bit when the sun sets.

MarkF

I looked at the First Gear mesh jackets on line, but they don't appear to carry an extra small, so I've emailed the company to clarify that. The Joe Rockets, however, do come in an extra small- and there are a couple of those on ebay. Would you recommend purchasing one that way?

The risky thing about buying a jacket on line is not getting to try it on. I bought a Motodress leather jacket from a private party on e-bay a few years ago, and when it arrived it was too short in the back. I bought my Ballistic from an individual who had posted on IBMWR and it has worked out very well. The most important thing is to get detailed measurements for the garment and try to match it to your measurements as best as you can. Bottom line, it can save you a big pile of cash, but you have to do your homework.

Re: Re: Mesh Jacket

MarkF said:
Only thing is mesh jackets are good only over 75 deg or so. I find in the evening I'm chilled a bit when the sun sets.

MarkF

The zip out lining helps somewhat. I took a ride up to Mt. Mitchell a couple of weeks ago. Temp above 5,000 was in high 50s, low 60s, and I wasn't real uncomfortable for the short time I was riding. If I had been riding very long in those temps, I would switch to my leathers.:brow

Re: Re: Mesh Jacket

MarkF said:

MarkF

Yep, gotta agree with that comment, but boy, are they nice when it is 95 degrees out. I have worn leather all my life, but bought the First Gear Mesh Tex II at the rally. I can't believe the difference. I always wondered how those guys rode all bundled up when it was so ungodly hot. I'm learning.

Usedtopilot said:
I looked at the First Gear mesh jackets on line, but they don't appear to carry an extra small, so I've emailed the company to clarify that. The Joe Rockets, however, do come in an extra small- and there are a couple of those on ebay. Would you recommend purchasing one that way?

Hey Usedtopilot: check out this link, www.she-rides.com
Judy is very nice and she knows her stuff! I'm sure she can help you in your decision.

Some more advice (like you want more advice right?): you will find that many motorcycle apparel manufacturers fail in tailoring to women (although some are beginning to understand women ride and want to be treated as such). Be careful what you order online and try to find a local dealer who has stuff to try on. It will always be helpful to fit it first and order it secondly.

Actually.... I appreciate any advice from this great group. I checked out the website - very nice. I've emailed about the XS sizes. Thanks for your input!!

I'm happy with my Tourmaster jacket <www.tourmaster.com> as an all-season jacket. It has a zip-out liner for cold weather and plenty of vents you can open and close for cooling when needed. It's also water-resistant and has armor pads on the back, shoulders and elbows. I've worn it comfortably in weather as warm as 95 degrees, and down into the 20's in the spring and fall riding seasons.

Last weekend I was a couple hundred miles from home, checking out a BMW dealership, and just generally looking around the area. I had my Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket with liner. I hit temps in the mid 60's, and raining hard. Stopped at a dealership and found a Nitro Tourance Jacket. It is waterproof (as far as that goes in heavy rain for 2 hours). It has a zip in thermal liner, which I didnt need, and CE approved armor. It was 125.00, and well worth the money. I think it may beat out my leathers when rain is forecasted. A long sleeve coolmax shirt would improve comfort when it gets warmer.

I got a First Gear Trekker jacket from this site: www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

They have a no return policy but you can exchange for a different size/style if you don't mind paying for shipping back and forth. First I bought a size XL but I exchanged it for a L. I had first gone to the local dealer looking for jackets, and tried on a BMW airflow jacket ($299/textile) and a Hein Gering Urban something-or-other ($199/textile). I took a 46 in the Bmw jacket and an XL in the Hein. First Gear however seemed to run alittle big--in the end a large fit perfectly and a great price at $127. The jacket has vents and a zip out lining and feels like it will be perfect for 50-70 degree riding.

When wearing a mesh jacket forget about liners. They won't protect anything in your pockets and you have to take the jacket off and get fiddly with installing the liner. Just pack Frogg Toggs in your tankbag. The Toggs pull on over the mesh and will keep water at bay and provide a good windbreak while remaining breatheable. For trips that seem like both a regular and mesh jacket will be needed, I just take the mesh and Toggs and a sweatshirt to put under the jacket if it gets a notch chillier.

Summer/fall jacket

What I use is a Technic mesh jacket and a windbreaker.

The mesh jackets are versitle and the windbreakers from Russell Athletic or other good ones really keep the wind out and add warmth.

Back