• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One Week to first SS1K attempt...

empeg9000

One week to go for me. I will be doing it as part of the MM1K.
I am planning a long-ish ride tomorrow through Vermont. I wish I had added so extra lights to the RT before going for my attempt but at least the RT lights are fairly bright. I plan on making quick post to my blog during the run just updating my progress. Mostly for family members but if you are interested in following along, the link to my blog is below in my signature. I will also be attempting to use my spot but I seem to have a problem getting the tracking to work but I will at least hit the OK button at the corners.

I am planning a long-ish ride tomorrow through Vermont. I wish I had added so extra lights to the RT before going for my attempt but at least the RT lights are fairly bright. I plan on making quick post to my blog during the run just updating my progress. Mostly for family members but if you are interested in following along, the link to my blog is below in my signature. I will also be attempting to use my spot but I seem to have a problem getting the tracking to work but I will at least hit the OK button at the corners.

I have only done one SS1000 so I am no expert; however, I do know that you do not need to hurry like you may think you do. I think you only have to average around 47 mph overall and keep in mind the certificate is the same whether you complete it in 17 hrs or 23 hrs. If you are planning on using a credit or debit card at all of your gas stops make sure you take a few cards or call the card company ahead of time. They will shut you off after 5 or 6 stops. Happened to me fortunately I had several cards in my wallet that day! I would also advise some sort of camelback system to stay hydrated! Just ride safe and good luck!!!! :lurk

I was planning to do the SS1K, but unfortunately a business trip was scheduled, maybe next year.

Good luck and have fun!

Good luck with this Steve. SS500 :laugh is more my style but I wish you luck. Slow and easy wins the race.

I have only done one SS1000 so I am no expert; however, I do know that you do not need to hurry like you may think you do. I think you only have to average around 47 mph overall and keep in mind the certificate is the same whether you complete it in 17 hrs or 23 hrs. If you are planning on using a credit or debit card at all of your gas stops make sure you take a few cards or call the card company ahead of time. They will shut you off after 5 or 6 stops. Happened to me fortunately I had several cards in my wallet that day! I would also advise some sort of camelback system to stay hydrated! Just ride safe and good luck!!!! :lurk

Yeah I did the math and its only 42 mph to finish in 24. I am hoping to do it in a little less, more to just get it done. I am trying not to sweat it too much. I do plan on using a Camelback. I went out for an 8 hour test ride just to get some routines down. I did pretty well. It started out badly but I averaged 45 mph so that would get me there in 22 hours. I do plan on using debit cards but I will bring about a hundred or so in cash just in case.

Thanks for the well wishes Semper_Fi and terham. Be sure to check my blog on Saturday. I will make quicky blog posts at stops just to update my progress. I think it will be interesting for me to go back and read about how I was feeling as it happened.

Good luck, have done the SS1K twice myself.

FYI, in 2006, i think, one of the riders finished in the top 5 (he may have won, i can't remember) after doing something like 450 miles. both times i did it, i just used brute force, no GPS, long miles with a few easy to find bonus locations, going for overall "themes" and not a million small bonuses. i grabbed the little ones that were convenient. came in 17th and 13th or something like that out of about 70-80 each time if memory serves. my first year was 1205 miles, second was 950ish.

Good luck, have done the SS1K twice myself.

FYI, in 2006, i think, one of the riders finished in the top 5 (he may have won, i can't remember) after doing something like 450 miles. both times i did it, i just used brute force, no GPS, long miles with a few easy to find bonus locations, going for overall "themes" and not a million small bonuses. i grabbed the little ones that were convenient. came in 17th and 13th or something like that out of about 70-80 each time if memory serves. my first year was 1205 miles, second was 950ish.
How do the bonuses even work? I got the sheet last night and there are times and a place, and a points value. It's just a city though and that's it. That's not very specific. Do they give more info later?

How do the bonuses even work? I got the sheet last night and there are times and a place, and a points value. It's just a city though and that's it. That's not very specific. Do they give more info later?

yes

spend this week planning a "concept"

spend no more than 3 hours friday night revising that concept into a ride.

be asleep by 11pm the night before the start.

first year we spent so long planning, we weren't in bed till 1am and we didn't hotel at the rally, so we had to ride 35 miles at 4am to get to the start from my place!

second year, stayed down the street from the rally, got six hours sleep in and it made a HUGE difference.

yes

spend this week planning a "concept"

spend no more than 3 hours friday night revising that concept into a ride.

be asleep by 11pm the night before the start.

first year we spent so long planning, we weren't in bed till 1am and we didn't hotel at the rally, so we had to ride 35 miles at 4am to get to the start from my place!

second year, stayed down the street from the rally, got six hours sleep in and it made a HUGE difference.
Okay Bubba thanks for the tip. I guess I will just take a peek at a map and see what's along the way that I could bag easily.

Okay Bubba thanks for the tip. I guess I will just take a peek at a map and see what's along the way that I could bag easily.

Hey now,

That is absolutely the right approach.

The Minuteman 1000 is specifically designed for the first time SS1k or rally rider. We "score" the SS1K riders just like the folks in the 24hr rally, i.e. each mandatory corner is worth points.

Remember that to accomplish your goal all you need to do is satisfy the requirements of the Saddle Sore as listed on the website, i.e. get syrup and three gas receipts.

If you are feeling good and want a shot at a trophy add in a fuel log and rest bonus and you get more points. Make one or two stops along the mandatory route and get even more points. If you are feeling really good add a few miles for even more points but don't forget your goal is the SS1K.

We will spend some time on this after dinner Friday. I'm not going to say it is easy but I will say that our success rate is very high. It is usually a mechnical issue that causes the few DNF's.

You will receive the same rally book as the 24hr riders and chances are you may see a rider from the 24hr open rally at one of your mandatory stops, the points are there for them too.

Our goal is to not only help you obtain your first Saddle Sore 1000 Certificate and membership to the Iron Butt Association but to also introduce you to the sport of IBA type rallies.

I will say that for your first ride "on the clock" to give up on instant messaging and updates. Even if you are fast it is going to be 10 minutes per, if you update at every stop that's 50 minutes of nothing that helps you accomplish your goal.

Plan on one update at around 7-8pm (you might just be at MAX BMW in NH) but don't sacrifice a nap if you need it.

Rob - EXCELLENT advice and information.

It is too bad i can not make it :banghead :banghead - definately next year.

Good luck to all the riders and have a great time :thumb :thumb

Hey now,

That is absolutely the right approach.

The Minuteman 1000 is specifically designed for the first time SS1k or rally rider. We "score" the SS1K riders just like the folks in the 24hr rally, i.e. each mandatory corner is worth points.

Remember that to accomplish your goal all you need to do is satisfy the requirements of the Saddle Sore as listed on the website, i.e. get syrup and three gas receipts.

If you are feeling good and want a shot at a trophy add in a fuel log and rest bonus and you get more points. Make one or two stops along the mandatory route and get even more points. If you are feeling really good add a few miles for even more points but don't forget your goal is the SS1K.

We will spend some time on this after dinner Friday. I'm not going to say it is easy but I will say that our success rate is very high. It is usually a mechnical issue that causes the few DNF's.

You will receive the same rally book as the 24hr riders and chances are you may see a rider from the 24hr open rally at one of your mandatory stops, the points are there for them too.

Our goal is to not only help you obtain your first Saddle Sore 1000 Certificate and membership to the Iron Butt Association but to also introduce you to the sport of IBA type rallies.

I will say that for your first ride "on the clock" to give up on instant messaging and updates. Even if you are fast it is going to be 10 minutes per, if you update at every stop that's 50 minutes of nothing that helps you accomplish your goal.

Plan on one update at around 7-8pm (you might just be at MAX BMW in NH) but don't sacrifice a nap if you need it.

Thanks for the tips Rob. I am really looking forward to it. I will be arriving around 12-1 on Friday. The weather is looking good so far.

Good luck with this. :thumb Hope the rain we've had in Philly all night and day is headed out to sea rather than north.

When Derek rode his firs MM1K event I was riding with ( or behind him)

Here is a copy of what I wrote.

It seemed like a great idea 24 hours ago! I was riding in the Minuteman 1000 and executing the ride I had planned out. Sure, I have done a few Saddlesore 1000ÔÇÖs before, but this was different. I knew it was going to be a long day and night as the route that I had chosen was going to bring me up to northern Maine and into New Brunswick, Canada. The last time I rode in Northern Maine was on Fred BurgessÔÇÖ Black Fly Rally. Street Atlas said it was do-able but I had to estimate time and distance in Canada since the mapping software only covers USA. After reviewing all the bonus options and routes, it became apparent I was going to ride the ÔÇ£simple routeÔÇØ, ride to Bangor, then Eastport, Me into New Brunswick toward Saint John and beyond to a little lighthouse in W Quaco. Then back to Houlton, Me and maybe up to Presque Isle if time permitted.

I used my ÔÇ£LifelineÔÇØ and called Fred for his input - Fred gave me a few pointers and directions, and said it was easy. Now that I think back, I donÔÇÖt think he said ÔÇ£easyÔÇØ, but he did confirm you could make the ride in 24 hours or less.

Saturday was a wonderful but hot day. I stopped in Lexington and Concord for a few early bonus points and continued up to Yarmouth Me for another bonus stop. Things went great, and although the temp was pushing 95, I was in great spirits and it was good to be on the road! Leaving Bangor and heading towards Eastport, the temp dropped 20 degrees. The cooling effects of the Atlantic Ocean were working their wonders. It was then I saw three riders getting gas and having a smoke. These riders had naked sport bikes, not farkled out Iron Butt type bikes. I went by them to take a bonus picture of the Coast Guard in Eastport. They arrived when I was leaving; later I was topping off my gas tank before going into Canada and they rode by. We waved. I arrived at the W. Quaco light house and decided to walk down and take a close up picture of the lighthouse and my rally flag. Unfortunately the wind would gust every time I went to snap the picture! While I was trying to take the picture, the three sport bike riders had arrived and being a little smarter, took the picture from the parking lot. A line in an old Redford and Newman movie kept popping into my head - ÔÇ£Who are those Guys?ÔÇØ

On the road again, I headed towards Houlton, Me., another bonus location. A few questions at the border, ending with a final question.Are you with all those BMW guys?. allowed me passage to the good old USA. It was about 8:00 pm and since I hadnt really stopped all day or eaten anything but granola bars, I decide to just relax a bit before my ride back to Greenfield. I met fellow Yankee Beemer Kyle Hanlon on his R75/6. The 45 minutes I lounged at the gas stop proved to be a mistake. Soon after I left Houlton, I hit rain which was almost welcome as it was still hot! That was the good news, the bad news was fog rolled in, and stayed with me until I hit Massachusetts. I planned on being back around 3:00 AM. The fog coupled with the early morning hours was taking its toll. Quite a few stops were made to keep me alert. Jumping Jacks, Tom Petty on the IPOD and plenty of water from the Camelback kept me going. (I drank almost 6 liters during the ride!). I finally arrived in Greenfield at 4:20 AM, obtained my starting rest bonus receipt and parked in the hotel parking lot. It seemed like I was the last person to arrive, as bodies were scattered on the ground like people were gassed. I chose a place toward the back of the hotel and set my Screaming Meenie for an hour and one half. It never went off, I woke up after and an hour and 1/4. When I looked over towards the hotel, I saw Sandy Becker, who left just in front of me about 24 hours earlier! He was wide awake and getting ready to get scored. At the post rally meeting, I found out who those guys are : YB new member Derek Hiron, and his friends Robert Connor and Ian Roberts. Some pretty impressive riding, covering 1200 miles on sport bikes in less than 24 hours! Rally Master Rob Nye nicknamed them the Three Hooligans! I am glad to have the chance to ride with you guys, a great job. It should also be noted that YB Secretary Fred Kolack placed first in the Saddlesore 1000 scoring and Kurt Schmucki placed second in that category. It was a lot of fun and a great way to see New England (and New Brunswick) in 24 hours! Check for details for next years event! Special thanks to Rally Master Rob Nye for his tremendous efforts and Max Stratton for the financial support MAXBMW Motorcycles gives to this and many other events.

Firing on all four plugs,
Craig

I hope all you guys and gals have a great ride this weekend.

I'm only part way through your final blog entry, but am enjoying it. :thumbI'll finish it tonight but I think I know how it ends. :)

Back