• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chain of Rocks Bridge

godfather

My bro-in-law and I will be doing Route 66 in September, Chicago to LA. One of the sites we do not want to miss this time is the Chain of Rocks Bridge. I have read stories both good and bad about the safety:bolt of this area.

Is there anyone in Southern IL that knows the area and would be willing to show the way? We plan on being there on Fri Sept 16, 2009.

Thanks.

I stopped there (Illinois side) in last year on my partial Route 66 trip. As the parking area is a good walk from the center of the bridge, I just made sure everything was locked up. Saw a few tourists, but no ner-de-wells milling around.
The lot is out in the open, no buildings or streets around, so no passerbys. I was there around 4:30 in the afternoon on a Monday. Most of the research led me to believe the problem was on the Missouri side, and I didn't go all the way across.

Yes, probably more trouble on the Missouri side. That side is closer to the trouble. :)

Thanks for the replies...we will be there on WED (not Fri) the 16th. If any one is in the area and wants to see/walk the bridge, PM me.

Back