• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I Have Some bad JUJU Comin Down

redclfco

Two months ago I put in a request for the National, Two months ago I am approved.

Then for some reason (like my rental communities out performed 60 other communites in my class of property management) I found out this week that I'm nominated for Property Manager of the year MADAC awards.

My interview is set with these guys for thursday before the rally, and I found out tonight that they won't budge. wont swap, wont move it. There goes my leisurly ride to the National with friends. There goes my NAtional. poof! I'm pissed!

To even be nominated is pretty good thing on the resume, but to win this hugei award could help keep the long term retirement goal alive and kicking! I have to do this no matter what!

My question for you all, this great electronic room of smart guys and gals:

If I pull out of downtown Saint Paul Minnesota locked and loaded, hit !-90E say Thursday at 12:00, is it possible I could arrive at the national Friday evening? I have done this before from MN to Colorado, but thats roads I know in my sleep, western roads with no traffic. to go east is a new thing to me, never ridden east past chicago.

Map Quest says 1006 miles, but thats not on a GS, and this means doing this alone and on the slab, which was not the original plan.

Does this make sense?

Help me brothers1 I need advice!

I'm goin to bed...

Congratulations on the nomination for the honor, and good luck at the interview.

If you think you'd not be too wiped out from the ride to enjoy the rally, I'd go if it were me.

Sounds like you'd regret it if you didn't.

Yes, I think so, if you were well rested. My advice, come down I90 to Rockford (there will be construction from the WI/IL state line to I39 interchange at Rockford, no huge deal but have to keep it down to at least 55, it is marked 45). Then get on I39 south in Rockford to Bloomingtom, then whatever I that is that takes you east to Champaigh/Urbana, then south to Paducah KY, then you're on your own to eastern TN, I don't think it would take that long. You should be around Rockford area if your luck is good on the first day, if you are still feeling OK you could even press south on I39 a ways, there are places along the way to stay if you get too tired.
Either that or hey I'm not going, so I can just come up and take that interview for you, what is it again I do?????

Gilly

Two months ago I put in a request for the National, Two months ago I am approved.

Then for some reason (like my rental communities out performed 60 other communites in my class of property management) I found out this week that I'm nominated for Property Manager of the year MADAC awards.

My interview is set with these guys for thursday before the rally, and I found out tonight that they won't budge. wont swap, wont move it. There goes my leisurly ride to the National with friends. There goes my NAtional. poof! I'm pissed!

To even be nominated is pretty good thing on the resume, but to win this hugei award could help keep the long term retirement goal alive and kicking! I have to do this no matter what!

My question for you all, this great electronic room of smart guys and gals:

If I pull out of downtown Saint Paul Minnesota locked and loaded, hit !-90E say Thursday at 12:00, is it possible I could arrive at the national Friday evening? I have done this before from MN to Colorado, but thats roads I know in my sleep, western roads with no traffic. to go east is a new thing to me, never ridden east past chicago.

Map Quest says 1006 miles, but thats not on a GS, and this means doing this alone and on the slab, which was not the original plan.

Does this make sense?

Help me brothers1 I need advice!

I'm goin to bed...

CONGRATULATIONS! I wanted to get that out of the way cuz to be "anything" of the year by a professional peer group is quite an accomplishment.

So.... on one hand you got gold and on the other you got lemmons.

Let's make lemonade!

The 1000 miles in 24hrs (otherwise known as a Saddle Sore 1000) is with a little planning a pretty easy ride. You only need an average rate of advance of 45mph. Considering that slow highway speed is 70 and your route is on the slab here is what I suggest.

Leave Saturday at noon as planned. Get gas and make sure you get a printed receipt.

Bang out the first tank without stopping, reful as effeciently as possible and bang out another. On the slab you should be covering around 200 miles every three hours so by 6:30 you could be 400 miles closer to the rally than you were at noon.

Have a light "supper" of granola bars, a banana and coffee / soda if you normally drink it, do this at your second gas stop but be quick about it, no sit down meal here.

Run another tank (I'm calling 200 a tank) and it is now around 10pm and you are now only 400 miles from the rally with 14hrs to use.

Get a hotel room. Go cheap and look for a place that still has exterior doors on the rooms at parking lot level. This way if you want to bring stuff into your room it is quick and easy.

Sleep six hours, get up at 4 or 5 if you can get up and get moving quick. Ride the remaining 400 miles in six hours. Get a gas receipt after you have gone 1000 miles as verified by a mapping program, not your odometer.

Check into the rally st up your tent and if you need it take a quick power nap.

It's now 4pm on Thursday, yesterday you aced an interview to be Property Manager of the Year *and* you did a Saddle Sore 1000 to the rally!

If at any point you just get too fatigued blow off the Saddle Sore and you'll still be at the rally Thursday afternoon.

Check out the archive of wisdom at the Iron Butt site. Don't fear the powernap!

I did 1003 miles between last Friday at 6 AM and last Saturday at 5 PM. Maybe 100 of it was on dirt roads and I wasn't pushing for any distance awards.

CONGRATULATIONS! I wanted to get that out of the way cuz to be "anything" of the year by a professional peer group is quite an accomplishment.

So.... on one hand you got gold and on the other you got lemmons.

Let's make lemonade!

The 1000 miles in 24hrs (otherwise known as a Saddle Sore 1000) is with a little planning a pretty easy ride. You only need an average rate of advance of 45mph. Considering that slow highway speed is 70 and your route is on the slab here is what I suggest.

Leave Saturday at noon as planned. Get gas and make sure you get a printed receipt.

Bang out the first tank without stopping, reful as effeciently as possible and bang out another. On the slab you should be covering around 200 miles every three hours so by 6:30 you could be 400 miles closer to the rally than you were at noon.

Have a light "supper" of granola bars, a banana and coffee / soda if you normally drink it, do this at your second gas stop but be quick about it, no sit down meal here.

Run another tank (I'm calling 200 a tank) and it is now around 10pm and you are now only 400 miles from the rally with 14hrs to use.

Get a hotel room. Go cheap and look for a place that still has exterior doors on the rooms at parking lot level. This way if you want to bring stuff into your room it is quick and easy.

Sleep six hours, get up at 4 or 5 if you can get up and get moving quick. Ride the remaining 400 miles in six hours. Get a gas receipt after you have gone 1000 miles as verified by a mapping program, not your odometer.

Check into the rally st up your tent and if you need it take a quick power nap.

It's now 4pm on Thursday, yesterday you aced an interview to be Property Manager of the Year *and* you did a Saddle Sore 1000 to the rally!

If at any point you just get too fatigued blow off the Saddle Sore and you'll still be at the rally Thursday afternoon.

Check out the archive of wisdom at the Iron Butt site. Don't fear the powernap!

Now that is making lemonade! Sounds like a good plan to me. congratulaions and I hope we do see you at the rally!

Dale - The way I read this --> you can't leave until noon on Thursday, so Rob's scenario wouldn't apply. (sadly)

If you are anything like me, it's hard to start a long trip like a saddle-sore at noon, so you will probably need to stop for a few hours at a motel. Depending on when you stop and how long you sleep, you could roll into the rally before dark on Friday.

So - the next question would be how badly do you want to make the trip, for 28 hours of hanging with your buddies, before turning around and heading back?

Tough call, my friend.

On the other hand - HOW COOL IS THAT, that you are up for the award! :clap

Whatever you decide, don't ride beyond your limits.

I know you want to go but, there will be other rallys...

Congrats. I don't know about anyone else but I had to Google to find out what it was.

I rode my first saddle sore yesterday and this morning. Left home at 9 a.m., rode 800 miles, stopped for 5 hrs rest at a motel, then rode the remaining 200+ miles at 4:30 this morning, a short breakfast stop and arrived back home with an hour to spare. And I'm old!!! I think you should be able to do it.

Dale - The way I read this --> you can't leave until noon on Thursday, so Rob's scenario wouldn't apply. (sadly)

Oops... :laugh

Ritalin Boy says Thursday, schmursday, come on down for Friday!

Contact your employer and get them to give you Monday off. Your award will be good for them too and since you're modifying your trip the least they can do is sport you an extra day to get home.

Make sure they know they will be mentioned in trade publications and such.

Decision made!

Oops... :laugh

Ritalin Boy says Thursday, schmursday, come on down for Friday!

Contact your employer and get them to give you Monday off. Your award will be good for them too and since you're modifying your trip the least they can do is sport you an extra day to get home.

Make sure they know they will be mentioned in trade publications and such.

This is done! I have Monday and Tuesday off as well!

I'm coming on Thursday! I'm just now planning the best route, and right now, it involves south to Des Moines IA and hang a big left turn!

I forgot to mention for anybody who has interest, that the OTHER reason to come involves meeting up with my three 90 something year old Aunts on my Mothers side, who just happen to be in Johnson City at Auntie Leora's house! I've arranged to go spend the day with them on Monday after the rally. My Mom passed away three years ago, and this may be the last time all three of these fine ladies are together in one spot!

I have other GREAT reasons to attend this years Rally!

I'm sorry to have to differ w/you but it all sounds good to me.

Good JuJu !!!

Ride safe!

This is done! I have Monday and Tuesday off as well!

I'm coming on Thursday! I'm just now planning the best route, and right now, it involves south to Des Moines IA and hang a big left turn!

I forgot to mention for anybody who has interest, that the OTHER reason to come involves meeting up with my three 90 something year old Aunts on my Mothers side, who just happen to be in Johnson City at Auntie Leora's house! I've arranged to go spend the day with them on Monday after the rally. My Mom passed away three years ago, and this may be the last time all three of these fine ladies are together in one spot!

I have other GREAT reasons to attend this years Rally!

Beautiful.

If you decide you want to go for a Saddle Sore 1000 certificate and have any questions at all feel free to ask here or in a PM.

check your routing going through Iowa,we get off 35 at Mason City and take 218 to 80 just west of Iowa city.(our son lives in St. Paul) then catch 80 east or 74 to indy.This is shorter than a trip thu des moines.However you do it be safe rest when you need it.Ed

Be sure to let those so-and-so's know that screwing with your vacation means that THEY OWE YOU BIGTIME. :deal

Back