• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EZ-Pass

Fritzc

I live in Michigan but plan on travelling out east this summer in between the two big rallies. I've been trying to enroll in ez pass to avoid all the stops at toll gates. It is confusing to say the least. Must you live in New Jersey to get an EZ-pass? I did go to their web site. It seems the only way for me to get one is to live there or visit a retailer when I get there. It looks like I would want the "On-the_go" type of pass but it says the only place I can get one is at the Atlantic City Visitor Center. Fine but how many toll roads do I have to go over to get to Atlantic City?? Help!!!

I live in Michigan but plan on travelling out east this summer in between the two big rallies. I've been trying to enroll in ez pass to avoid all the stops at toll gates. It is confusing to say the least. Must you live in New Jersey to get an EZ-pass? I did go to their web site. It seems the only way for me to get one is to live there or visit a retailer when I get there. It looks like I would want the "On-the_go" type of pass but it says the only place I can get one is at the Atlantic City Visitor Center. Fine but how many toll roads do I have to go over to get to Atlantic City?? Help!!!

Before my state started issusing E-Z passes, I purchased mine from Maine, all on line and phone. They were very friendly and I had the pass in a week or so. Good Luck

It appears that you could also apply thru Pennsylvania:

http://www.paturnpike.com/ezpass/personalenroll2.htm

(at least the online application includes all/ any States in the address field)

or even thru Indiana
https://www.getizoom.com/aboutIzoom.do

Or in Illinois.

It is called I-Pass, (this is the enrollment link) but it is part of the same system.

My EZPass is from NY, at the time I got it, I was living in RI. Getting the account set up was completely hassle free, it took more time figuring out how to mount the transponder to my windscreen than anything else.

After the account is set up, you can request as many tags as you want (I've got four on mine) and have them all linked to the same card.

With the MC tag, you pay 1/2 tolls in NYS, other states give a discount for using the transponder at all.

The transponders used to be free in Delaware but now cost $25 each. We have four of them, one for each vehicle. Not sure how it is in other areas but they are vehicle specific here - or at least TYPE of vehicle specific. I grabbed a transponder out of my pick up to use on the bike one day and received a souvenier in the mail.

Also, check your statements! Since we tend to travel together, I can tell when there are two bikes going thorough a toll on the statement. There have been a few instances where one would read correctly and one would read as a tractor trailer with a $25+/- toll.

The transponders used to be free in Delaware but now cost $25 each. We have four of them, one for each vehicle. Not sure how it is in other areas but they are vehicle specific here - or at least TYPE of vehicle specific. I grabbed a transponder out of my pick up to use on the bike one day and received a souvenier in the mail.

Also, check your statements! Since we tend to travel together, I can tell when there are two bikes going thorough a toll on the statement. There have been a few instances where one would read correctly and one would read as a tractor trailer with a $25+/- toll.

Yes. AFAIK, there are three transponder types:

The internal mount you see on windshields
An external mount available for those with specific vehicles whose windshields block the signals
and the Motorcycle, which in NY's case looks like the internal but has a huge black and white M on the back.

Each vehicle should get a transponder of its own, as the transponder SN is linked to your license plate. I have used mismatched transponders before without incident, but at a price of free, there isn't any reason not to have one for each.

Today!

Yes. AFAIK, there are three transponder types:

The internal mount you see on windshields
An external mount available for those with specific vehicles whose windshields block the signals
and the Motorcycle, which in NY's case looks like the internal but has a huge black and white M on the back.

Each vehicle should get a transponder of its own, as the transponder SN is linked to your license plate. I have used mismatched transponders before without incident, but at a price of free, there isn't any reason not to have one for each.
I received my transponder and instructions which refer to an automobile and the sheet says I have an INTERIOR tag. It is white and has a sticker saying it is for a motorcycle. The instructions say to stick it to the inside of my windshield with the arrows pointing up. There are only two Hook & loop fasteners to stick it to the shield. Hopefully it will stay in place and is waterproof. Is it easily removed using the hook & loop fasteners? Sorry for being such a wimp about this but the paperwork has mucho threats of big fines and fees for misuse. Also when finished with device it must be sent back with a letter asking to unsubscribe. Are there any other pitfalls associated with these devices? Thanks for helping out this small town boy!

I received my transponder and instructions which refer to an automobile and the sheet says I have an INTERIOR tag.
... as opposed to a license plate mounted tag for certain vehicles with windshields that interfere with the transponder.
It is white and has a sticker saying it is for a motorcycle. The instructions say to stick it to the inside of my windshield with the arrows pointing up. There are only two Hook & loop fasteners to stick it to the shield. Hopefully it will stay in place and is waterproof. Is it easily removed using the hook & loop fasteners?
If the fasteners are the same as on the I-Pass, they most certainly will keep it there. You can almost hang a small child from that Mondo Velcro. That said, getting it off is somewhat more difficult. You will want to be fairly careful so as not to break your windscreen. I would consider some other mounting method if you want to take it off daily. Either a less tenacious hook & loop fastener or maybe held up there by some kind of tape whose residue you can get off the screen. I noticed no water-permeable openings on my units.
Also when finished with device it must be sent back with a letter asking to unsubscribe. Are there any other pitfalls associated with these devices? Thanks for helping out this small town boy!
Why bother? Keep it around. You might use it again some day. I do not believe they refund any deposits toward tolls, but they don't expire, either. So if you travel anywhere you can use it in the next decade, you can probably use the same one.

I received my transponder and instructions which refer to an automobile and the sheet says I have an INTERIOR tag.
... as opposed to a license plate mounted tag for certain vehicles with windshields that interfere with the transponder.
It is white and has a sticker saying it is for a motorcycle. The instructions say to stick it to the inside of my windshield with the arrows pointing up. There are only two Hook & loop fasteners to stick it to the shield. Hopefully it will stay in place and is waterproof. Is it easily removed using the hook & loop fasteners?
If the fasteners are the same as on the I-Pass, they most certainly will keep it there. You can almost hang a small child from that Mondo Velcro. That said, getting it off is somewhat more difficult. You will want to be fairly careful so as not to break your windscreen. I would consider some other mounting method if you want to take it off daily. Either a less tenacious hook & loop fastener or maybe held up there by some kind of tape whose residue you can get off the screen. I noticed no water-permeable openings on my units.
Also when finished with device it must be sent back with a letter asking to unsubscribe. Are there any other pitfalls associated with these devices? Thanks for helping out this small town boy!
Not exactly a pitfall there. Send it back and get your balance and deposit back. Seems fair.

I received my transponder and instructions which refer to an automobile and the sheet says I have an INTERIOR tag. It is white and has a sticker saying it is for a motorcycle. The instructions say to stick it to the inside of my windshield with the arrows pointing up. There are only two Hook & loop fasteners to stick it to the shield. Hopefully it will stay in place and is waterproof. Is it easily removed using the hook & loop fasteners? Sorry for being such a wimp about this but the paperwork has mucho threats of big fines and fees for misuse. Also when finished with device it must be sent back with a letter asking to unsubscribe. Are there any other pitfalls associated with these devices? Thanks for helping out this small town boy!

Hi Fritz! :wave

Living in Wisconsin, we can't get anywhere in the east without a ride through Chicago. Because of that, a few years ago I bought the I-Pass. It works almost everywhere there is a toll road. I actually bought a ram mount for mine, on the GS. The weather does not affect it at all.

On the K75 I just slide it under the clear plastic of my tank bag and that worked too. The receivers for the transponders are pretty strong.

I agree with Carl - don't put it on your windshield. That adhesive is impressive.

In Illinois, I have been told and experience has born this out . . .
If your bike is registered on your I-Pass, you don't have to carry it.
But I do anyway, most of the time . . . .
So far, so good!

The velcro they give you (at least in IL) isn't really Velcro, it's some pretty neat stuff and seems like water wouldn't affect it. It's called Dual Lock or something like that?

Correct. It's a 3M product. The Velcro guys make similar stuff, but this Dual Lock is really good. It doesn't kind of smush together like Velcro; it snaps into place.

Mine has lived on my windshield for two years with no apparent ill effect. I don't think I'd submerge it in water, rain and road spray aren't a problem.

The dual lock it comes with is very impressive, it won't want to come off anything you put them on, nor will your ezpass want to pop off the dual lock.

There are a couple things you'll want to keep in mind:
NYS is VERY strict about toll tag abuse, they will cancel your account for stuff like crashing gates, speeding...

If your tag doesn't read at a booth, don't panic. It could just mean your bike didn't trip the sensor that triggers the tag reader. Because of this, I always try to use the manned booths that are listed as EZPass or Cash, most non-subscribers don't realize they can use that lane also and its almost always empty.

Back