• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going to the National?

Are you going to the National?

• You betcha

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • If my wife/husband will let me

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • If my parents will let me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sorry, but no

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
KBasa-
The only thing I know about martinis is that I like mine extra dry
with a twist.

I'm hoping to get there if only for 1 day...it would make an easy day ride for the wife and I and serve as an introduction to rallies for her....we'll see.

Re: Re: Goin to the National

Ian said:
I'm heading up from Atlanta, but let me tell you about a very cool road if you're coming in on a GS from across Virginia.

Get your map and find Blacksburg, VA... just southwest of Roanoke off of I-81.

US460 heads west out of town... look for a little road called Craig Creek Road heading off to the right. ( N37?? 17.158' W80?? 27.665') If you reached VA42 you went too far (but that road will work, too.)

<snip>

Ian

311 is a nice road up over Potts Mtn. and Peters Mtn.

If you're coming from the south and you want a "twisties" experience on the way, allow me to recommend VA 16 , which turns into WV 16. (And, actually, it's NC 16 before it's VA 16.)

Anyhow, beginning at Marion, VA, you've got three nice mountains between Marion and Tazewell, VA -- Big Walker Mtn., Brushy Mtn., and Clinch Mtn.
Good surface, very little traffic. Beautiful view of Thompson Valley from partway down Clinch Mtn.
Follow VA 16 toward Tazewell and take rt. 16 bypass to avoid "downtown" Tazewell. You'll then
have a nice twisty descent down to Bishop VA/WV (on the border), and beginning in Bishop, the scenery changes dramatically. You are now in coal country, and you'll be going through some coal camp towns. Continue on through Welch, Pineville, Mullens (devastated by a flood last year) to Beckley. You can jump on the turnpike there to get to Charleston faster, or you could take US 19 north, over the New River Bridge, to US 60 at Hico. Go west (left) on US 60 to Charleston.

Weeble
(anybody remember what a "Weeble" is?)

KBasa said:
I think we're going to have to organize a forum meeting at the beer garden or something to put faces with all the names.

Ya know, you've mentioned this a couple of times before, and I think it has now become a must. What a great way to meet and greet, not only for the veterans *cough*, but for us newer-flavor types too. And yup, I'm happy to contribute to whatever gin-induced debauchery ensues.

Also, I just printed off the order form for my Presidential name badge from IBMWR so I can get it made before Charleston, too. It'll sure beat walking around with a Magic Marker and a pack of those "Hello! My name is..." stickers! :)

Of course I'm going. I want to see how this rally format works. Yeh, it's new and untested. But that doesn't make it bad. I will reserve my judgement until after the rally. Hope everyone else does the same. And give us some feedback afterwards...

Hawk Hawthorne
Vice President
BMWMOA:clap

Don't forget all those great roads in Eastern KY, just a quick hour away. It's always fun being chased by a coal truck down a two directional single lane road. Just as a warning to those from other states, if you see a sign that shows weight limits and says "Except Coal", that means that overloaded undermaintained coal trucks run this road, and they have the right of way.:wow

Wouldn't miss it for anything. Where else can you find so many BMW specific vendors, seminars, and most importantly riders!!

:newtoy

Midwest_Travel said:
Don't forget all those great roads in Eastern KY, just a quick hour away. It's always fun being chased by a coal truck down a two directional single lane road. Just as a warning to those from other states, if you see a sign that shows weight limits and says "Except Coal", that means that overloaded undermaintained coal trucks run this road, and they have the right of way.:wow

That's where I live!! Great roads, but the trucks suck!

yep....I'm go'en, last year was my first national ,and I still get a smile on my face just thinking about the good time I had. I think I'm camping at the university. was a little confused as to where to stay at first ,but then thought , where is the beer garden going to be? and that's were I'm camping . I'm hoping there will be more venders this year than last ( I guess being in Canada made it a little harder for some vender to come last year). a meeting at the beer garden would be good to meet other forum writers.
can't wait

yes, i am planning to come to the event- my first time to any moa event.

This will be my first rally. All of my expectations "were" based on my readings of past rallies. This will be a "new " experience for all of us.

Going to rally

I can't wait to go to the rally. This well be my first rally since 1987. I hope this will be a good time. :bliss ... I am counting the days.. But most of all , I hope to meet some really nice people down there. Hope to see every one there. Kevin Frantz.. Warsaw In.

Heading to another National

You know, the very first rally that I ever went to (heck, it was my very first overnight bike trip), was to the 2nd MOA National at Table Rock,SC.in 1974. That rally was not the super-organized operation that the Nationals have become now-it more resembled a informal local rally or an old'RA national. The beer tent was a keg sitting in a bucket with a bunch of people standing around,not a whole lot of vendors, not a whole lot of activities, not a whole lot of food available, and not a single hot shower. It was rough, but the spirit at the Rally was good. This is what started my BMW experience for me.

I have made the pilgrimage to the MOA National 12 more times since then, and they all have become experiences that I will always remember. Not all of them good memories, but they all have been major experiences in my motorcycling life. I plan my summer around Rally plans. I think that a lot of folks in this club are like me.

I have my reservations about this rally--we never have had separated campgrounds,beer tent,and seminars/vendors before. All the Nationals that I have gone to were in one, centralized location. This "urban rally" concept is more like a Wing Ding than a MOA National. I know of a lot of long-time members that don't like the format and will miss the Rally. I also know that I cannot judge a Rally until it has started, so I tell people that the jury will be out on this National until it starts in July. I am working to keep a positive attitude about our '03 Rally, and I hope that it will be a positive first National experience to all those new members that we have collected. It should be a mission for us "old-timers" to put a positive spin on this Rally for our new members. While we might not like some of the changes, we need to keep this a wonderful experience for the people that have never participated in a BMWMOA National. I'm going to try to have fun in Charleston, and I hope that you can too. Remember,there is NOTHING like a MOA National! :thumb

Re: Heading to another National

Rev.Willie said:
I am working to keep a positive attitude about our '03 Rally, and I hope that it will be a positive first National experience to all those new members that we have collected. It should be a mission for us "old-timers" to put a positive spin on this Rally for our new members. While we might not like some of the changes, we need to keep this a wonderful experience for the people that have never participated in a BMWMOA National. I'm going to try to have fun in Charleston, and I hope that you can too. Remember,there is NOTHING like a MOA National! :thumb

And we all know that attitude is everything. I'm going to have a ball - I know it!

:D

Going to the rallu

I was just wondering if there is someone from Indiana going to the rally? :confused: If so just drop me an email and let me know when you are planning to go. I might want to tag along if possible.:D .. The only other person I know that belongs to the club is my father and he is not going this year. Thanks for the responses... Kevin

Been to all but one of the last ten Nationals. The two things I need the most with imediate availability are morning coffee (without a 1/2 hour wait) and afternoon shade. :snore . Everything else I can ride to. Trenton was good for both the coffe and the shade.
Regarding Charlseton, I'll save my judgement for Sunday, July 13. Like Trenton, It will be nice having food and drink nearby. We do overwhelm some of the smaller communities we have visted.
The riding should offset any of the negatives caused by the seperation factors.
Let's all go there with a good attitude and let it happen.

Back