• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going to the National?

Are you going to the National?

• You betcha

Votes: 65 81.3%
  • If my wife/husband will let me

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • If my parents will let me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sorry, but no

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
I guess I'll be going, haven't been to my ancestral home since we buried Dad's ashes 16 years ago. I'm told my grandfather was once the City Manager of Charleston. I might even still have a couple of cousins there. Riding down with the YB gang will be great.

Colt03 said:
Nice Job on the Board, Dave.

The lovely wife Susan and I will be there.

Should be lots of fun, :clap

Well, there's a whole team of folks making this happen, I'm just one of them.

We're glad you're on board and look forward to seeing more of you!

One location!

Last year's National at Trenton was my first national, and being in one location was great. I'm still undecided about going because of the idea of having to choose to be away from the beer tent & food and regular camping just to have quiet camping, and having to commute across the city to the convention hall to attend a seminar are all very negative. I enjoyed just walking around the rally site (note site, not sites), taking in a seminar without much planning, getting some food at a vendor whenever. I think this disjointed arrangement will not make a good rally environment.

One of the beautiful things about Durango was the shuttle bus up and down the main drag and right to the rally site.

I checked and our hotel has a shuttle bus to the convention center. Right on!

Re: One location!

Greetings,

I can definitely understand your concerns about the rally set up. I am a camper and when I first heard about the "new" rally I was very concerned.

This was before I attended a rally planning meeting in Charleston. The vendors, seminars, awards and registration will be in the Civic Center. This is a wonderful air-conditioned facility easily accessible from the interstate or local roads. We have arranged for a dedicated floor of an attached parking garage for secure parking.

The primary camping is at the University of Charleston. They have excellent facilities and will be providing food service and showers. The beer garden will be located here. There is nice camping and there are areas away from the river front field that will be pretty quiet (but not as quiet as the quiet camping area).

There will be evening shuttle bus service running between the University, civic center and quiet camping area.

While not as easy as walking a fairground, my suggestion would be to ride over to the Civic Center when you want to attend a seminar or see vendors and use the shuttle to visit the beer garden.

One of the bright spots of having the rally in this setting is that services are much more accessible. For example there is a food court in the mall between the parking garage and the civic center along with plenty of restaurants. Finding food without an hour wait will be easy.

One thing for sure is that this rally will be different. I hope you will attend and make sure to let us know what you liked and disliked so we can incorporate this into future rallies.

GS Cooke Mnster said:
Last year's National at Trenton was my first national, and being in one location was great. I'm still undecided about going because of the idea of having to choose to be away from the beer tent & food and regular camping just to have quiet camping, and having to commute across the city to the convention hall to attend a seminar are all very negative. I enjoyed just walking around the rally site (note site, not sites), taking in a seminar without much planning, getting some food at a vendor whenever. I think this disjointed arrangement will not make a good rally environment.

Yes indeed. This will be my first National Rally and I am looking forward to it. After this event, I am leaving for Colorado for the Top o the Rockies rally the following weekend. I plan to camp, but have not decided between the "family" island park camping or the University "beer garden" camping. Any input would be welcome.

Dan Greene said:
Yes indeed. This will be my first National Rally and I am looking forward to it. After this event, I am leaving for Colorado for the Top o the Rockies rally the following weekend. I plan to camp, but have not decided between the "family" island park camping or the University "beer garden" camping. Any input would be welcome.

Beer Garden camping, for sure! :beer

Just get you some earplugs... and voila! instant quiet camping! :rofl

Ian

Hoping for hot fun in the summertime! Riding with a friend or 4? From Mid-Mich. to camp out but the provisional room at the motel sounds good! :brow

Goin' to the National

Oh, yeah! Be there with bells on. Bringin' my shower shoes.
:jester

Sure its a "in town Rally" BUT.........

THE ROADS, MAN, THE ROADS....No place on earth has roads like West Virginia! And such interesting little communities, river towns, mining towns, and twisty lightly travelled roads! Miles and miles of great dual sport roads too. Rivers for fishing, white water rafting, swimming. If you let the fact that the rally is centered in Charleston deter you from coming, you will really miss out. Sure it will be different than other rallys, but hey! its in WEST VIRGINIA!:wow

Yup, this will be my first one. I hope to h-e-double toothpicks I meet a whole lot more folks between now and then, too. It'll be nice to have friends to visit with while there, rather than wandering around like a tourist in, say, Schenectady. Not that there's anything wrong with that fine city, but you know what I mean. I'm working on it, forcing myself on my local club, and the K12LT folks. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0393.JPG
    DSCN0393.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0394.JPG
    DSCN0394.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
ctthayer said:
Yup, this will be my first one. I hope to h-e-double toothpicks I meet a whole lot more folks between now and then, too. It'll be nice to have friends to visit with while there, rather than wandering around like a tourist in, say, Schenectady. Not that there's anything wrong with that fine city, but you know what I mean. I'm working on it, forcing myself on my local club, and the K12LT folks. :)

Rest assured. You're going to make a whole bunch of new friends at the national. You put a bunch of people with beer in the region of a bunch of parked motorcycles and you can't help it.

To quote a friend of mine: "You're among friends".

Besides, we're probably going to have to set up a Forum meeting point and time so we can all meet each other, right?

Back