• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Garmin Zumo 660 Arrives!

660 came with 2.8. No issues with the Mac Web updater. In fact, I haven't had any issues with it for a long time.

If it says 2.80 on main screen after Software Version, you are good. But if it says 2.70 there and 2.80 after GPS in sub-screen, it needs an update,

So, assuming your 660 came with Software Version 2.80, you got the latest version of the 660 and you are good. Still, your version of Mac Webupdater is known to look like it works but after a 660 check, yet it does not communicate with the 660 correctly, just as the new PC version mostly works now, as well. Both say they have correctly updated the voices and such but sometimes does, and sometimes does not, after the 660 is checked.

OK, you've had your 660's for a few weeks now. Good & bad points and what should I know?

Just bought one from Garmin (with the AMA discount :clap ) and waiting for it to get here. It's replacing a old Garmin Quest, which has been a great unit, but that screen is just getting way too small for my eyes. No to mention those little tiny buttons.

Did I waste my money and should send it back, or did I get a good unit, that will last as long as my little Quest did?

Mine's been great, loaded it with an 8 Gb San Disk micro SD card with 228 songs, so far, and two 7.5 hour audio books (it's only 1689 miles to Johnson City, anyway).

BT with wired stereo headset good to 85 + even on phone, and as a navigator it's been perfect. There is a MapSource routing glitch awaiting a soon to be released firmware patch (v. 2.81 or 2.83), but I like setting addresses of a few destination places better in favorites before a long ride, then delete them after. I have a place in Amarillo, another in Little Rock, and the Super 8 in Kingsport I am staying at, plus the Rally coordinates already entered.

There is a great independent review here. Enjoy!

I must be living in the dark ages. $700+ for a GPS? I got a 2820 for $150 on-line. That and a map (Heaven Forbid! :laugh) and I'm all set.

Having said that, I'm totally jealous of all of you with the latest GPS units! ;)

Rubber Down
Rich

Last edited:
I must be living in the dark ages. $700+ for a GPS? I got a 2820 for $150 on-line. That and a map (Heaven Forbid! :laugh) and I'm all set.

Having said that, I'm totally jealous of all of you with the latest GPS units! ;)

Rubber Down
Rich

My Zumo 660 is loaded so far with 223 songs, an MP3 book, and 4 Audible books about 5-7 hours each, waiting for 0300 or so, 7/10 when I leave for the '09 MOA Rally.

Rather than routes, which are less flexible than navigating, I have a motels in Amarillo, Little Rock, and Super 8 near the Rally site in as Favorites using the Lodging site pointed to the various Cities, States. The Rally site is in, in coordinates. Fuel gauge set, and BT connectable to phone.

Well mine arrived and I'm glad I read this thread first. Because of your help, I knew to pair the phone to the 660 and pair the helmet to the 660. Otherwise I might still be in the garage trying to get this working. As it was, only took a couple of mins.

Now uninstalling the old hard wired Quest and routing the new wires was another story. But I needed to service the air filter anyway, so I just got it done.

(one thing I don't like about my K is the air filter location and having to disassemle half the bike to get to it!) :bluduh

Yea I know I spent to much money for technology I might not need, but....

I love mine. Now have on 8 Gb micro sd 235 songs, 1 mp3 audio book, 4 Audible books, and a few pics. In car, don't use 'em, on bike, use songs in town sometimes, and they and the books are for the trip from here to Tn 7/10-7/12. We all know why...

Oh, and if you want to get an 8 Gb or 16 Gb micro SD card (the 660 can handle either with aplomb) BUT get a San Disk micro SD card and don't let me tell you how know this.

BTW, get the latest Garmin webupdater (download it) and then update. Mine was 2.70 out of the box, and w/in a day was flashed to 2.80 as 2.70 was buggy, indeed. Now, just last week, Garmin released firmware 3.10. Sweet, it fixes some route calculation issues, BT for more phones and headsets, and who knows. But the unit is clear and fast. It also has gorgeous MSN features in the car if you have the MSN antenna.

FYI 660s are finally available through AMA discount on Garmin site again...

just ordered mine today!

Well mine arrived and I'm glad I read this thread first. Because of your help, I knew to pair the phone to the 660 and pair the helmet to the 660. Otherwise I might still be in the garage trying to get this working. As it was, only took a couple of mins.

Now uninstalling the old hard wired Quest and routing the new wires was another story. But I needed to service the air filter anyway, so I just got it done.

(one thing I don't like about my K is the air filter location and having to disassemle half the bike to get to it!) :bluduh

you think your airfilter is bad, ask a 1800 Goldwing owner about theirs...

Back