• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet Question

msnden

A friend stopped over with a new Bell M-4, He didn't need one but said the price was such that he couldn't refuse. and said the fit and comfort was very good. Anyone have any opinions on Bell helmets? I can get one at a good price, but no price is good if the product isn't. I took a short ride with the M-4 in place, and it did feel pretty good but I am no authority. Thanks,
Den

If I remember right, the Bell line is not the highest rated helmet. However a Bell helmet is better than no helmet.

Look for a DOT and SNELL label on the helmet. The DOT label endorses the helmet by the Department of Transportation for highway use. A SNELL rating is more stringent, and ok's the helmet for sanctioned racing. A Bell Helmet PROBABLY has both, but it should be easy to find.

I'm kinda with Brad on the brand, however I don't know that as a fact. There's alot of choices available. Bell USED to be a dominate force 20+ years ago, and was one of the first ( if not THE first) to offer a full face model, the Bell Star. I THINK they got completely out of the motorcycle helmet business for a few years to focus on the bicycle market, then re-entered the motorcycle market a few years ago.
I'd look over the ventilation system, and visor availability.

Bell

Everyone who once had an orange or white Bell Star full-face, raise your hand.

((This will determine your age and year's riding))

I will say that I had two Bell V-1 Bicycle Helmets and both of them functioned properly keeping my head from serious damage when the cars decided to turn into me.

However I don't think any of us ride "Schwinn" motorcycles. Every brand has their specialty.

In the late 60s/early 70s, Bell Helmets were considered the best protection money could buy and carried a premium price tag to back it up. In fact, their advertising slogan was, "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet." With a growing number of motorcyclists on the road, product liability became an overriding concern for management and they ceased production of motorsports helmets to focus on the growing, and much larger bicyle helmet market. The company was bought and sold a few times in the process; production was moved to Mexico for a time and product quality all but disappeared. More recently, new ownership, an infusion of capital and dedication to the original company's mission have produced the Bell helmets we see today.

While in college, (late 70s) my work gig was the parts department at the local Honda dealership. (Please don't throw blunt objects...I was young and needed the job.) Bell was THE helmet at that time. I've owned a Bell Star and Magnum, and found both to be excellent and comfortable helmets. I also drive a sports car road course track using a Simpson 3/4 helmet which I'm fond of. Right now, the cycle helmet is a full face KBC VR-1. Pluses on the KBC are: Snell rated, fiberglass contruction, very comfortable, excellent venting, adjustable foam interior, very attractive, and an excellent price of only $150.00. The only minus is that it gets wind noisy at highway speed. If you're wearing one on a long trip, don't forget the earplugs.

Thanks for all the input, I did purchase the Bell helmet, it was a good price and the fit seems very good. It is both DOT and Snell rated, athough I will have to read up on the snell ratings, it would appear as though there are different degrees of snell ratings The bell has the snell M 2000 rating, I will have to find out just what that is. Thanks again for the input.

Den

The "2000" means it was met or exceeded Snells year 2000 standards, which is pretty current . I have a new Shoei RF1000, and ran out to check IT, but the year wasn't on the sticker. I don't know if EACH and EVERY year is updated ( I'm sure someone out there knows). I was checking them out on ebay, and there are many NEW( maybe UNUSED is a better word) the dated back to 1985.

By the way... someone has a slightly used Orange Bell Star for sale, current bid is $8.50. Better jump on it before TomMcIntyre sees it!:)

Boomyer sez:
"By the way... someone has a slightly used Orange Bell Star for sale, current bid is $8.50. Better jump on it before TomMcIntyre sees it"

On EBay?? Heck I'd pay $15.00 just to have it
hanging in my toy room...

Mac

helmut question

My wife and I both had Bell Magnums when we quit riding our Guzzi back in the early 70's. They were just like new and I thought when I started riding I wouldn't be out the expense of
2 helmets.

Wrong, the foam inside both of them had crumbled, what a mess.
Then I read when a helmet gets 5 years old it should be re-
placed so that ended that.

I had kept the helmets in there original boxes on a shelf in the
closet. I never dreamed they would disintegrate like that.

Gerald

boomyr said:
The "2000" means it was met or exceeded Snells year 2000 standards, which is pretty current . I have a new Shoei RF1000, and ran out to check IT, but the year wasn't on the sticker. I don't know if EACH and EVERY year is updated ( I'm sure someone out there knows). I was checking them out on ebay, and there are many NEW( maybe UNUSED is a better word) the dated back to 1985.

The Snell rating is not updated every year. I am not sure when the last one was, but they recently announced a revision due out soon.

For my money the Snell rating is not worth passing on a helmet that i like and fits well. The DOT rating is pretty substantial.

Also, flip-face helmets are never Snell rated, but Snell testing criteria has been met by nearly all flip-face helmets.

Jim:brow

Back