• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shopping for a K1300GT

wz882j1

Occasional Adventurer
After a brief time of being caged (about 3 years) I am finally shopping for a bike. When the new K12 GT was announced, I then knew I was destined to get one. Now, the K13 GT is luring me in.

I had a GS previously and I loved it, but due to a carpal tunnel problem, I had to give up riding but now that problem has cleared, so I am ready to ride again.

Any tips or hints for me as I shop around?

I've registered to come to the Rally in July so I'll see you all there.

No real tips, "find the best deal you can". Would be nice if someone in your area could chime in on the "good" dealers in your area, so we can hope for that.
I see it's your first post, so welcome to the club. I love my GT, will really make you smile. I do find I get a bit numb in the palms (from forward pressure). I haven't done anything, so you might want to consider barbacks. Any other questions be sure to ask. I am not big on accessories, there are lots of things you can do to make the bike suit you.

Gilly

Hello Gilly -

This is my first post with my new ID - I've been here before, but I forget how I signed up originally. I stayed away from bikes totally so I would not become depressed about not being able to ride and that included even forums.

Glad to be back, and ready to get on the road.

One thing I learned with the GS was that while it was fun to ride on short trips, it was not much fun when on super slab rides. The fuel economy was bad when going fast enough to stay out of the way of 18 wheelers, and the acceleration was not there at high speeds.

I think the K13GT will be perfect in that environment.

Thanks!

No real tips, "find the best deal you can". Would be nice if someone in your area could chime in on the "good" dealers in your area, so we can hope for that.
I see it's your first post, so welcome to the club. I love my GT, will really make you smile. I do find I get a bit numb in the palms (from forward pressure). I haven't done anything, so you might want to consider barbacks. Any other questions be sure to ask. I am not big on accessories, there are lots of things you can do to make the bike suit you.

Gilly

I've test ridden both the new K1300GT and the former K1200GTs pre-and post '06, and for my money I really couldn't tell the difference between the newer K1200GT and the 1300, though professional bike journalists claim to be able to. I wound up buying the K1200GT--traded an R1200RT in on it, and just love it. Power to blow by 6 18 wheelers and 20 Hardley Ablesons in a single bound, Smoooooothe engine/gearbox/shifting/ride; Hossack fork and paralever makes stops and starts lovely. Only complaint I have is that I have yet to be able to find anywhere that makes highway pegs for it so I can straighten my legs out from time to time on long (all day +) rides. Because BMWs last and last and last, I bought mine used (pre-owned in the present 'spin' palaver of the auto industry), and saved a bunch of bucks. But do check with different dealers on the new bikes, as often you can get a better deal one place than another. Personally, I've always found our Pittsburgh dealer (European MCs of Pgh.) terrific in that as in other regards. Good luck and have fun with the new bike when you find it!

Back