• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sprocket sizing questions

roadcrave

PRAY BEFORE RIDING
My daughters has a 1993 yamaha seca 2, it tachs out at 5000rpm at 60mph, 4000 at 50, need info on calculating sprocket teeth to drop the rpm, it currenty has a 48tooth rear sprocket????? i think i want 2500-3000rpm at 60 mph....
this will be of great help to me, so that we can go on longer distance trips together, planning a trip around washington state...matthew

sprocket sizing questions

Years ago while racing dirtbikes, droping a "one" tooth on the countershaft sprocket (front or the one on the trans) would be like adding 4 teeth on the rear sprocket,giving more pull from the bottom end,but sacrificing top end speed. Engine will still put out the same power, but the speed/power will vary.
So, if you "lessen/drop" the teeth on the rear sprocket,I believe you'll achieve a higher "top end" speed,and or lower the RPM's,for the same speed, but you of course will suffer the loss of bottom end power,thus she;ll probably ride the clutch more at startup from a stand still/stoplite.
When you take from one, the other usually suffers....
The dealer should have a chart to help "balance" what your after.

Mathew - What's redline on the Seca 2? 8 or 9K? Dropping the rpms from 5K to 2500 would take the bike WAY out of it's power band & require a massive change in gearing. What is the frt sprocket size? If it is 15 teeth then going to a 16 with your 48t rear would drop the rpms from 5K to 4650. A noticible difference on the highway.

Bikpaintr, went with your suggestion,had no idea what i was asking.... i phoned the motorcycle shop and they had a breakdown of recommended sprockets, im attemting to gear the bike up so she can keep up on the hwy's....temporarly till we step her into a r1100s next year.... thank you matthew

Back