• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Olympia gear versus First Gear

bandman

I am in the process of buying my wife new clothing. Although I have Aerostich, she likes both Olympia and First Gear. I just need to know which one my buddies prefer. I would like it to be good in rain and comfortable. It should also keep my wife looking female versus a set that fits her like she was an all out road warrior. It would also be nice if it had a removable liner. Last thing, protection is still most important. Any opinions?

My wife wears an Olympia Jacket. She likes it a great deal and it's proved to be quite waterproof under some tough conditions. It also has a liner that looks very attractive when worn as a light jacket while walking around; good product. She looks like a girl to me. She did not like the fit of the Olympia pants and after much searching wears both Scorpian mesh pants and Harley heavy duty pants.

I've got first gear pants and they are comfortable; haven't tested the waterproof aspect yet.

I am in the process of buying my wife new clothing. Although I have Aerostich, she likes both Olympia and First Gear. I just need to know which one my buddies prefer. I would like it to be good in rain and comfortable. It should also keep my wife looking female versus a set that fits her like she was an all out road warrior. It would also be nice if it had a removable liner. Last thing, protection is still most important. Any opinions?

For quite some time I've been wearing an Olympia AST with Firstgear pants. Both have been good pieces of equipment, and I don't think you can really go wrong with either, though I would still lean a bit more towards the Olympia gear - it just feels a bit more substantial. I'm actually torn between getting an Olympia suit or getting new Firstgear pants since they offer waterproof pants that have zip-open vents which Olympia doesn't seem to offer. Neither brand has leaked on me, and both offer removable liners.

As for "look" - I'm not sure how much riding gear you'll find that keeps a good "female form" appearance. Possibly Rev'it would fit the bill, as I find it's a tighter Euro-style fit (also a good brand, BTW). As you said, protection is important - probably more than how form fitting the gear is.

Your wife needs to make this decision, not your buddies. Both brands are great choices, but, they will not fit her the same. She needs to try each brand. Another good option is Tour Master. Again, she needs to wear the product to determine which is going to be the best match for her.

Your wife needs to make this decision, not your buddies. Both brands are great choices, but, they will not fit her the same. She needs to try each brand. Another good option is Tour Master. Again, she needs to wear the product to determine which is going to be the best match for her.

+1 good point, and if it turns out bad, she can't blame you or your friends...lol

Just my two cents....I bought my wife a Rev'It coat a couple of years ago, and I put the quality right up there with my Olympia gear. They tend to run a little snug, so try on sizes at the dealer before you buy. They have many different models, but I got her a waterproof textile one with a zip out quilted lining. They are definitely cut for a woman's curves, and it fits her like a glove. High quality, but far from inexpensive. P.S. Plenty of adequate armor in elbows, back and shoulders.

First and foremost, not all women are built like Barbie dolls and the color pink does not mean an item was designed for a woman.

I purchased a First Gear jacket and vented pants a few years ago before I had any understanding of what was good for me and what wasn't. There was nothing wrong with the First Gear items other than I just didn't like the fit. I later sold them both on Craig's List.

I've been riding in my Olympia Airglide jacket and pants for three years now. I can't say enough great things about them! What I love most is that they really are true to size. My jacket is an older model and the liner is not waterproof. The jacket is comfortable, suitable in length, well made, and versatile enough to layer underneath, wear the liner or a Gerbing. The pants are equally well made and I wear them year round. I've ridden in the coldest, nasty weather with the liner and stayed dry. I often remove the liner and wear them over a pair of jeans or shorts or if the weather is really warm, I wear only the outter pants by themself.

I have a friend who is vertically challenged and she cannot wear the pants due to their length but she loves her jacket as well. When the time comes for me to replace them, I'm definately going for the Olympia again.

Back