• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Easy motorcycle camping cooking?

While doing my trip out west I had the Mountain House freeze dried foods with me and they were very tasty, especially after a long day in the saddle.
I did try them all out at home to find out about the taste etc.
You don't want to be hungry and find out about an meal that bites:eek . I primarely used them as back up food if I was in a remote area or after restaurant closings. Mostly I ate local food and was very happy with that. I use a MSR whisperlite multifuel stove that boils water really quick and as a bonus the gasoline in the fuel bottle can be used in the bike too :idea
All I had was a pot to boil water in, a spoon and a mug. The mug came in handy to bum a cup of java from my friendly campground neighbors:bliss

Camping Meals

I'm a little weird when it comes to camping foods.

I will eat canned stew and chilli cold out of the cans and like it. Got started during many years and miles of ocean sailing. I also like the litle containers og pudding etc. that my wife buys for my kids lunches.

Bought a little folding Swiss stove that uses a little sugar cube sized fuel thing. It is good enough to boil water on one cube and another will heat up canned food. I've actually boiled water for coffee while lying in my sleeping bag in my tent because this stove system is relatively safe with a small flame.

You can get self heating MRE's that taste prety good and dehydrated food has become SO MUCH BETTER over the years.

It seems as I age gracefully, that there is usually a place to eat that makes better food than I can, within riding distance of the campsite, although isn't everything??? I've been teased about how much I bring camping so I have been trying a minimilist thing lately.

One thing I can recomment heartily is the Folgers coffee bags. Really easy way to make an excellent cup of joe.

I will boil the water for ramen noodles, but before I put them in, I add a tuna can sized can of chicken, and let it return to a boil. Then do the ramen noodles with the chicken and the water. It is cheap and easy chicken and noodles. You can take bisquick in a plastic bag, and substitute dumplings from bisquick for the noodles. Oh season as desired.

I usually carry some stew (late night hungries) and a couple of things of Zatarains black beans and rice. Real easy to make and cheap. Oh and of course beer, nothin is better cold right out of the can.
Mark

BradfordBenn said:
I just program in the location of every McD's and Domino's Pizza into the GPS before I leave the house.:p
:yow :yow :yow Where is the adventure in that Brad, unless you count that eating at Mickey D IS an adventure:evil :lol

No chemicals in MREs??? Wow, things really do change! The earlier generations were designed to induce a gentle sort of mild constipation. Why, you ask? The fewer traces you leave behind, the less able the enemy is to track you. Even if you bury your waste, the disturbed leaves or dirt can be a clue that troop movements have happened. And the less the troops have to relieve themselves the more agile and mobile their unit will be.

Sorry if that was TMI for some of you- just tellin' it like it is, or was...

Camping and cooking

Ditto what most people said about Mountain House meals. Most are pretty good. There's also Alpineaire and Backpacker's Pantry. If you are on a tighter budget, there's always 5min brown rice, with extra water, and add Mrs. Grass's noodle soup.:yum
Also consider Stovetop stuffing. I take it out of the box, for space consideration. If you stay at KOA's, they usually have Dinty Moore beef stew, pork n beans, etc. I mix brown sugar, cinammon, raisins and crushed pecans in a baggie for a couple of servings of oatmeal. I have the Peak stove. The heat is pretty centralized, so anything you cook without water, would have to be watched closely, and stirred alot. You can also pick up frozen veggies in a service station, heat those and add chicken breast from a can for stir fry.
Check your supermarket for little pouches of mashed potatoes (different flavors) w/a side of chicken breast (in a can), and it's still easy to pack. If I'm going to be out for a week or more, I pack my foodstuff in a seperate small duffel or pack, and after a few days, stop at a grocery store to replenish. Tortilla shells pack flat, and can be used as bread. (spread with P.B) for breakfast or snack.
Folgers coffee bags work well. Or you can buy tiny coffee filter bags, complete with a small stick for placing over the cup. Ground coffee can be added to the bag, and pour boiling water slowly through. Allow to steep....a voila! :coffee

Now I'm in the mood to rough it. Hmmm maybe I'll try it again in WV :bliss

Back