• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slimey Crud Cafe Race Run video and story in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

markfreebie

For nearly two decades, the Slimey Crud Cafe Racer Run has attracted riders from across the Midwest to south central Wisconsin hamlet of Leland, Wis. The ride, which primarily attracts owners of European and unusual motorcycles from all over the Midwest, was started nearly two decades ago by a pair of Madison friends and motorcycle enthusiasts. The ride starts at the Dane County crossroads of Pine Bluff and ends in Leland, where the the epicenter is Sprecher's Bar.

Here's the link to the story and video:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/44272777.html

The video link is on the lower left column of the story.

Mark Hoffman
K1200GT
Fond du Lac, Wis.

Nice video! Classic limes, schnitzel, spaghetti, rice ...

I was a SCR virgin this year. Sunday was an absolutely perfect day. What a great time.
I think next time that I do this I would like to camp or motel in the area with a bunch of friends. The ride there and back wasn't bad but I would like to spend at least the weekend exploring the area roads.

some pictures

:bikes

Last edited:
Just curious.... are you the Mark I ran into on Saturday at a gas station on route 15 between Appleton and New London?

Kirby

For those who missed it this spring , there is also one in the fall. Sunday, October 4th, 2009.

for the next SCR in October

I am going to try to stay in Middleton at a hotel the night before.
If you google slimey crud ride, you will find tons of info, routes, and pics.
By the way, I understand that Peter Egan from Cycle World is a regular participant (I think he lives somewhere around Stoughton) and rode his older Brit bikes in recent years on the ride.

I know the guy on the Ducati in the Journal picture.
He restored that bike at Thoroughbred Cycles in East Troy, WI.
I wish I had gone this year, but I visited my father in the hospital and bonded with my son. Can't put a value on that.

It was a really nice day though, and my R50 is running well.
Dangit.

I got my picture taken with Egan, a couple of the guys I was with are a bit braver than I and asked him if it would be OK, there were 4 or 5 of us plus him. I haven't seen my copy of it yet. I didn't see what he was riding. Nice guy. Didn't see what he was riding, it's usually pretty cool. Lives a few miles from me, I been by his place. He comes into the town I live in once in awhile, he wrote once about where he gets his gas here because it has no ethanol in it.
Gilly

Last edited:
Pete was riding his Ducati.

He has that and two Triumph's right now.

He's easy to talk to. Try it! I see him a few times a month at the Crud meetings.

This year the weather was perfect. Always the first Sunday in May and October. Junior was under the weather (no pun intended) and not behind the bar at Sprechers. Two of my favorite Must-rides evey year. I go to ogle the bikes-if you don't see it in Leland it probably doesn't exsist.

That's very cool. I'm new to this whole vintage euro bike thing (just acquired a '56 R60), and I'm looking for rides to do. If anyone here is interested is doing the run in October, and is willing to ride with me from the twin cities, let me know.

I didn't mention much about the picture. It was taken on the "south" end of the run, what is considered the starting point (if you're going to be formal) in Pine Bluff, WI. You see things there you don't see at the end point of Leland, WI as Pine Bluff isn't far from Madison WI. Some leakers will come out to Pine Bluff only. OTOH you will get people say from the Twin Cities area as an example who can really just barely get to Leland in time to check things out there for an hour or two, then leave in time to be home by dark.
On the picture, I am ithe one in the "Munch4" shirt, the guy behind me is my brother Tom. Egan I assume all would recognize but maybe not (the illustration in CW to me doesn't really much resemble him too much), he is the one towards the middle with the short beard and lederhosen.
Gilly

Looks like Egan is wearing his old Hein Gericke V-Pilot jacket with matching pants. I have the same set up. Was it a vintage Duck he was on ( 900 SS) ?

"jasonTDI" indicated that yeah he was on a Ducati. If I am getting this right Jason bought the XLCR Harley that Egan was just writing about last year or so? That he tracked down as it was his old bike? Or did Jason buy the one Egan sold to get the, oh man this is getting confusing already. That dude goes through bikes..........

Gilly

I bought the bike he spent all the time trying to get back. He had to get an identicle one to trade to get HIS back. Following me?:doh Yes, Peter goes through bikes like...insert whatever here.

Did you know Peter before buying that Harley, or did he just advertise it for sale? Seems like the kind of bike that would sell just by word of mouth.
What kind of Ducati was he riding, I think he has several, just by reading his column.
I did meet him one other time in Evansville, at a restaurant.
Gilly

I have know Peter from the weekly Slimey Crud meetings for about the last 2 years. A lot of the bikes in the group stay in the group and swap back and forth. 3 of my 4 are from other cruds.

That Ducati is.....I actually don't know the year. 90'? maybe? Has the cam bevel gear window so you can see it spin up and anxiously wait for oil to get there to lube the gears. Scary how long it actually takes. He has just 3 bikes right now. He'll have more....

Back