• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skidding through the weekend!!!

rtdirks

We took our first ride of the year on a whim this past weekend (starting in Milford, IA...riding a 74 R90/6 and a 97 650ST) and decided to go to the Polk City Ride In....On Saturday the chain came off on my 97/650/ST while we came to a stop sign...Many cagers and motorcyclists stopped to ask if we needed any extra help or tools...Got the chain on just fine, or so we thought until earlier today (Sunday) when we went to go exploring our old haunting grounds of the Boone Ledges State Park, IA...I was going down the county road, and heard something "not right" and started immediately to brake and slow down, my chain had come off and locked up my rear wheel....All I could think of was to keep the bike upright since I had broken my ankle January 3rd and wanted to ride this summer....I was able to keep the bike upright and we got the bike on my parents truck and they are going to take it to Gina's in Iowa City to get the necessary repairs....We did go to the ride in on the R/90, 2up, and went home afterwards....Not done that in many years, riding 2 up, and hope to never again, just in my opinion......Terry....Will figure out the picture attachment when son is awake to help me....

Attachments

• skid marks May 3, 2009.jpg
    skid marks May 3, 2009.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Glad you kept it upright! This was a great weekend in MI for riding. Assume you had the same great weather in Iowa.

With all the bad stories going on in the news it is good to hear about people stopping to help. This past weekend 3 of us were riding in SW WI and my good friend and really good rider had a get-off on a county road in Amish country. All that stopped helped in great ways like picking up the parts, storing his bike and taking him to the hospital. Glad you avoided that!:thumb

There just HAS to be a better way to get power to the rear wheel, lets start a focus group, hmmmmmmmmm.:stick

Gilly

The bike is fixed and ready to go, now how to figure out how to get it from Iowa City! I guess the better question would be how to find the time! I got new tires and sprockets, etc... which of course cost some $$$....but will enjoy riding for the rest of the summer once I pick the bike up...Terry

I was riding at Boone's Ledges today! Great scenic ridin' for sure. Glad all turned well.

Our son has Wed. and Thurs. off and the weather looks good, so will pick up the bike and ride it home then....Terry

Rode the bike home today in what started out as cool cloudy weather and then turned to warm and sunny by the time I got home...Terry;)

There just HAS to be a better way to get power to the rear wheel, lets start a focus group, hmmmmmmmmm.:stick

Gilly

Lets see........

Belt.............Nope too practical

Chains........Too ordinary

Cardan shaft/bevel drive...............Hmmm, weird enough, expensive enough, unlike belts or chains they're not available through other suppliers, rider can't carry a spare making them hostage to the mother ship............PERFECT:p

Regards, Rod.

Back