• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photoshop

upgrade to CS4? :doh
You have specific questions? or just starting a conversation?

3469191912_ea0da60d1b_b.jpg

I use CS3. My photos are easy to date. They tend to show what button I most recently learned. That's not a good thing!

Noel

Not to hijack...but is anyone using Photoshop with Windows Vista? When we purchased the new desktop, Photoshop (and many other essential programs) was not compatiable.

upgrade to CS4? :doh
You have specific questions? or just starting a conversation?

Just looking for ideas and examples. No specific questions yet. I'm just starting to play with layering. As you can see I've not got the cutting out neat enough yet, it's just time and patience and experience.

t9O0mbXECB8GwackdoIVQQ

and taking out things like power lines:

aOrJGsf7c-Ng51ZtIXxasA

Have you learned about masking for taking things out?

I will use the device to draw a border, or the wizard if there's enough definition, copy that as a layer, command J, then I know I can alter that new cut out layer if I want, is that what you mean by masking?

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

Did you know that you can open two photographs and, using the clone tool, click on one photo, as the source, then move the clone tool to the other photo, and clone in objects, etc. from the first photo? Make sure both photos are at the same resolution and you can have some real fun.

I've done this with skies and clouds where an otherwise decent photo has a blown out sky/ clouds. Just pull up another photo, make sure resolution is the same, then clone in the good sky into your keeper to make it even better.

Also, if you shoot RAW, you can make HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos that are all the rage, by just creating three different exposures from the original RAW, then combining them, to bring detail out of darkness. Google HDR techniques

And, my favorite tool is the liquify filter, which actually allows you to make big stomachs disappear, double chins, hips, thighs, etc. Do it judiciously and folks won't notice it and they will love how slender you make them look :kiss Google Liquify filter

Have fun !

So I don't need to diet, I can just liquify?
Will my clothes still fit?

Thanks Munchy, I'll be sure to try those tips out. I didn't know I could "cross clone".

First thing I did was load in two pics and cross cloned...that'll save ages cutting and layering and I can see some interesting montages coming from that function too. Thanks Munchy.

So I don't need to diet, I can just liquify?
Will my clothes still fit?

Thanks Munchy, I'll be sure to try those tips out. I didn't know I could "cross clone".

No, no diets necessary !

And your clothes (in the photo) will fit just fine ! :D

Cross cloning, and using layers, will get you some pretty nifty creations. You can also purchase many of the Photoshop, third party filters and use them in PS Elements !

Steve, there's a lot of good information on Photoshop to be found at the website of the magazine Popular Photography (ahem, your's truly designed that magazine's logo--still in use--back in 2003).

In terms of silhouetting, masking and outlining objects in images, read up on and practice making paths with the Pen Tool, which enables you to create pixel-bounding and near-perfect "silos" and shapes using bezier lines and points.

I've been using Photoshop at least 35% of my work-day, every day for the past 16 years. Its an amazing and powerful tool.

Steve, there's a lot of good information on Photoshop to be found at the website of the magazine Popular Photography (ahem, your's truly designed that magazine's logo--still in use--back in 2003).

In terms of silhouetting, masking and outlining objects in images, read up on and practice making paths with the Pen Tool, which enables you to create pixel-bounding and near-perfect "silos" and shapes using bezier lines and points.

I've been using Photoshop at least 35% of my work-day, every day for the past 16 years. Its an amazing and powerful tool.

I'll take a look see and have a play around. It's not a priority right now, but I'll dabble as and when.

Thanks.

PS.....about time you pitched them for a revamp!

Lamble is gone (no comments) so this is for anyone wanting to pick up some info...

If you have access to iTunes/podcasts there are many free podcasts on tips and tricks.
For that matter YouTube as well.
There is also Lynda.com for those really wanting to 'learn'.

I too have been in Photoshop since 2.5.1 and the single most important tool IMO is quick masking.
That is, the ability to isolate areas to work cleanly.

The best upgrade Adobe did for PS was incorporating layers from 2.5.1 to 3. (not cs3)

If you are new to PS there is no need for CS4.
CS, CS2 are more than enough to learn while 3 and 4 all have minor tweaks in areas you won't be involved in for awhile.
Then again, if you shoot "raw" you will want at least CS3.

I still use PS-7 at home. If your cpu is older or memory disadvantaged, the older version usually run faster.

Back