• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

For What It's Worth

LRider

"Road Worthy"
Last year I did a ride report on my first long ride, a swing through western Canada (where I was born and raised). I had been riding less than a year at the time, and started riding after reading Neil Peart's book, "Ghost Rider". This thread is posted on Advrider.com and is called "Hittin' the Note" , after the title of the Allman Bros. latest release.

This year I decided to call my trip report "For What It's Worth", after the Buffalo Springfield song written and sung by Stephen Stills (I am probably giving away my age somewhat).

Most simply, I departed Ottawa, drove south to Syracuse, and turned right. And kept on going. The states pass very quickly on the I-80. The tolls were a little inconvenient, however I kept a few small bills in my tankbag at easy reach, which I used several times. Every state seems to have its toll portion, at least until you get to about Iowa or so. The posted speed limit reaches 75 mph once into Nebraska.

I was very impressed with Cleveland, and the nice drive along the waterfront, Lake Erie. I also really enjoyed crossing the Mississippi at Davenport. Later in my trip, on my way back east, I met a nice couple from Davenport, at Foothills BMW in Denver. They were each riding their own bike. And it seems that the Presidential runners seem to like Davenport too!

Next time I would avoid Chicago during the morning rush hour. It reminded me of my experience driving in downtown Birmingham, England, in rush hour, on "their" side of the road! That feeling of hoping that you will make it, and asking yourself why you are really doing this. Buffalo was similarly a challenge.

Being from Canada, a rider without a helmet is unheard of. But from about Pennsylvania on, thats all I saw. Harley riders, hundreds of them, not a helmet amongst them. As an ATGATT type, this really took me aback. I'm not passing judgement, it's just that it reminded me of when I moved from Saskatchewan to Ottawa, Ontario in 1969, and saw helmetless riders in Hull, Quebec. It had never crossed my mind up until that point that you could actually do such a thing.

I didn't see a BMW until much later. But I did see some great wide open vistas. As a prairie boy, the big sky feels like home. On a bike, you really are part of the "frame". Big sky just pulls you that much further into it, like being in your own movie. Here are a couple of shots from Wyoming, west of Laramie.

Last edited:
Yes I love the BIG SKY too,you described it very aptly.
I grew up in Manitoba and have crossed the prairies from BC to the east by bike a number of times.People dismiss that drive as straight and boring but there is a majesty and subtlety there that is not like any other place.

I stopped for a coffee in Laramie Wyoming at a little spot called Granny's, attached to a service station. I was proudly wearing my new Savanna II gear. Granny (must be 80), looked me up and down, then asked, "you goin' fishin'??".

So much for vanities. BTW, I heard on the news last night that there had been terrible accidents on the I-80 east of Laramie, I remember that 8K elevation pass very well.

It wasn't until nearly Salt Lake City that I saw any beemers. In fact I saw 6 GS's
in half an hour, over that spectacular descent from Evanston to Salt Lake. It was hot, high 90s. My RID, which hadn't been over 5 bars, jumped to 7 bars, even at freeway speed.

On my way to Moab, the scenery was spectaular.

Last edited:
That ride to Moab sure cleared my mind. My job, and its pressures, were the last things on my mind.

It was hot and humid in Moab. I checked into the Super 8 and set out to do some exploring. But not before having the best peanut butter and jam toast in a little bakery on the Moab main street.

I found this road along the Colorado river. There didn't seem to be anyone else on it. Perhaps some sort of service road?

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I am a prairie boy. Big dents in the earth, or big things sticking out of the earth, really impress me. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks have lots of these.

Even in this hot weather, I was still ATGATT. It was a bit of a challenge constantly getting on and off the bike, walking or hiking to see things. I'm sure anyone who saw me thought I was crazy.

Last edited:
At the bottom of this photo, at about 6 o'clock, you can see a red dot which is actually a person.

This photo doesn't contain any object that gives a sense of size. Let me just say it was real big, the top boulder being maybe 100 feet across.

The formation is called 'Balanced Rock', which is, it seems to me, self-explanatory. I though about it balancing long before I was on this earth, and that it would be balancing for many years after I am gone. So, in comparison, do my daily challenges, balancing many things, seem so daunting?

I had a good 20 minute hike to see this formation. Without the respite of an air conditioned vehicle, and with plus 90s heat, I was losing lots of water. I always carry a liter or two of water on my bike, which was a lifesaver, given there are no services here. I drank this water quickly, and new that I couldn't safely stay out too much longer.

The "Delicate Arch" adorns many Utah vehicle plates. You can see a few dots to the left, which are people.

This is one of my favourite shots. Most of my photos are about 1-2 megs in size, so I have downsized them significantly to satisfy the 160K upload limit. I would be pleased (and flattered) to send a full sized photo should anyone care for one.

Here is a a vista from Arches park, near the Fiery Furnace viewpoint.

It was time to take stock and handle some administrative matters. My wife, who graciously supports my cross country "walkabouts", managed to get a last minute air ticket from Ottawa to Denver, where she would be in 36 hours. We would spend a few days in Denver together. I had been to Colorado Springs (Cheyenne Mountain), but never to Denver. Nor had Sheila.

Georgia Sue (my GS) was now clocking almost 5K kms on this trip. Given faithfull unflinching service in all temperatures and altitudes, I figured an oil and filter change was the least I could do. I called Foothills BMW-Denver and arranged to come in the next day. They are on the west side of Denver in Lakewood. Knowing I would approach Denver from that side, and that it would be new territory for me, I wanted to keep my routing simple.

Last summer I had a very unfortunate and frankly unsatisfactory experience with the BMW dealer in Calgary, Alberta. I'd had an oil leak in southern Saskatchewan, and needed help. Without going into details, let me simply say that the dealer didn't want to help me, and in fact refused even to change my oil.
(I ended up changing it myself at my brother-in-law's home in Canmore. I always carry the tools, filter ratchet, and filter/crush washers in case I get stuck just like this.)

So when Murray at Foothills BMW said "no problem, come on in, we will make room for you" , I was both relieved and impressed with the service orientation.

Last edited:
I like to get up and ride early. When I am on the road, every morning feels a little like Christmas morning. As soon as I am awake, I get excited by the thought of pushing that starter button and getting into gear. So sleeping in is almost unheard of for me on the road, I just can't do it.

Generally I am an early riser anyway. This trip I was usually on my way "out of town" by 5:00 to 5:30 AM. To do this, I would be out of bed by 4:00 AM. The daily preparations are the same every morning. Do my personal routine, check the weather channel, pack my duffel and side bag, clean and ready the gear, pack the bike, check fluid levels, tires, lights, log entry, zero the GPS, final check of maps etc., gear up and go. All in the same order, at least I tried to (good advice from Ron Ayres in his book "Going the Extra Mile").

I love watching the sunrise, especially from the back of my bike. Particularly from 30 minutes before the sun actually appears. If lucky, I would see lots of colours. At that time, you also own the road.

Here are a few shots at sunrise, around 5:45 AM, just north of Moab. The first appears quite lightful, but it was really very dusky.

Last edited:
The rock formations seemed to abruptly butt up against what I would call semi-desert. Here is the sun just peeking over a rock formation.

Nice photos rider......:clap :clap :clap

Southern Utah is one of my favorite places to kill time on the bike, no matter how many times you go, there is always something you haven't seen yet

Thanks for taking the time to share your ride with the rest of the asylum

Back