• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Highway Pegs for K1200GT?

Ralph

Does anyone know if somebody produces highway pegs for the K1200GT? I just bought an '06, and love it, but my knees don't like being bent too long without giving me the royal devil. Used to have Hawk Hiway pegs on my R1200RT, and that's about the only thing (and the more comfortable seat) I miss on the GT.:stick

Never seen anthing like that, most cures for the "GT bends" involve lower kits for the pegs or a taller saddle. You have the seat adjusted to the high setting correct?
Gilly

Thanks, Gilly. I was hoping somebody would have seen something... I have the seat set on the high setting, and, for the summer, my wood beads clipped onto it - raises it about a half inch more. Got bar-backs and peg lowerers ordered via my Beemer dealer (European MCs of Pittsburgh) from Suburban Machinery, so I figure they'll help, but being able to ride with my legs straight every so often keeps my funky knees from feeling like somebody's drilling a hole in my kneecaps (Doc sez "it's arthritis" -- doesn't help a *&^%* bit as I have no idea what that means. I only know they hurt like blazes after about 3/4 hour in the saddle.) The saddle's the other thing BMW coulda done a more comfortable job on on this bike--everything else about it, I just love! :heart

I haven't seen any for the '06 K12GT either and I have been looking since '06. Keep an eye on piratesk12site.net or suburban-machinery.com. You never know when someone may come up with them. They would make a good bike darn near perfect. I have looked at the frame behind the lower plastic and don't see any nice place to try and attach some home-made ones. Then there is the problem of the lower fairing itself. One has to decide if one is going to drill through it to have pegs. I have also considered running something from rear peg mount to front peg (two attachments for support) and then forward and put highway pegs on that. The problem I saw with that is the brake pedal and shift, especially when putting your foot below the shifter for upshifts. By the time you would get something low enough that it is out of the way of feet and brake pedal, you would have to have a big upswing on the bar to get it up away from the road. The other problem with this arrangement is the kickstands on the K12GT.
The only thing I have come up with is to change the seat height at each gas stop, so the knees aren't always at the same angle.

Thanks for the heads up on the search! I just put on the Suburban machinery barbacks this morning. One problem solved. the changing of the seat height each gas stop is a good suggestion, but boy, the highway pegs would be an even better solution to the aching knees if some could be located. Trouble is too, with you, I can't see any place one could easily attach them. The one thing the BMW engineers didn't think of on what I too consider an otherwise perfect bike!

...Trouble is too, with you, I can't see any place one could easily attach them. The one thing the BMW engineers didn't think of on what I too consider an otherwise perfect bike!

Ralph, good idea but the bodywork would seem to be a problem

I can't imagine German engineers EVER considered highway pegs for the GT. You are talking about the country that really resisted putting cup holders in automobiles (their thought- autos are for driving not for drinking).

John

I hear you, John. Betcha you're right on the German Engineers, too! And the bodywork really doesn't lend itself to highway pegs.

I do kinda wonder whether BMW ever considered K-GTs for police bikes as they have the R-RTs. The latter even can come with hefty crash guards to which could be attached highway pegs. And of course, there, Hawk products and others produce pegs that can be attached to the boxer's cylinder heads. Ah well.

That's what I noticed about the bike too. After this was brought up I was driving down the road and wondered how that would work, and put my legs out in a "highway peg" sort of location, and yeah, just no way with this fairing.
Gilly

There really is no feasible way to put highway pegs on the GT. I really wish there was a way, because that keeps me off the bike.

I ride a lot of trips that bring on 600 mile days. I don't use hwy. pegs a lot, but just need to stretch out every once in a while for a few minutes. Can't get pegs on the GT, so my 6'4" frame just won't work on this bike... :cry

I'm in the same ballpark, Brian, except I fell for the GT and that's what's in the barn. Right now I 'get by' by taking my feet off the pegs on straight stretches and sticking them out to the sides far enough so the road isn't eating my boot soles. It at least relieves the pain in the knees, which is my problem for LD rides. My former RT's fairing wasn't exactly great in that regard, but at least you could put highway pegs on and use them. Even LTs have such pegs available.

Of the bikes I have owned and no longer have, the K1200RS is the one I miss the most. I had a brick K bike, and it was killed by a Suburban in Feb. 2008. I did a BBG1500 (1500 mile day) on it, among other longish trips and rides, and just LOVED it. Not having highway pegs (which I do have on my RT) is a small price to pay for such a machine!

+1 for using the passenger pegs. I do that on my RT even with highway pegs.

Last edited:
Never tried that on the GT. I've got old cranky knees for sure, though. Don't know whether I can reach back as far as the passenger pegs. No problems with 2 up though, ...never do it--the wife likes cages only.

Here is what I do when I need to stretch my legs a little on my K1:

I fold out the passenger pegs before I start and then move the feet on these for a while. It does put more load on your arms and shoulders but it sure feels nice on these old, cranky knees and gives them some relief. Of course, you can only do this as long as you don't ride two-up.

I did that on my old K75S too, I actually relocated the rear pegs (really for my wife who is altitude impaired) and found the perfect spot where I could put the heel of my shoe on the rear peg and the front of my shoe was still on the front peg, worked great for LD position option and i used it a lot even on short hops.

BUT this just won't work, at least for me, on the GT, the rear pegs are just way too high to give any kind of comfort. I still find myself moving my feet back for those rear pegs and they are just NOT there.

Gilly

From the looks and feel of things on the GT, both sets of pegs are farther back than they were on the RT. I could probably put my feet back on the lil' Royal Enfield I have, but there's generally no need to on it as the foot and knee position there is the basic 'begging doggy' or 'dining room chair' position-90?? knee bend instead of 45 or worse.

Hi Ralph,
so you went to the dark, dark side and bought a wedge?
Anyway, I looked at the German sites of Wunderlich and Touratech - no luck.

Where would you mount those pegs? The fairing does not lend itself to any good possibilities unless you find a solid anchoring point underneath.

Twisted Throttle offers a crash bar for the naked wedge models, see
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2240/479/

Of course, this will likely interfere with the fairing but you might want to check with Twistedthrottle anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open - be safe

Hi J??rgen,
...Yeah, I bought a wedge. And the fairing indeed doesn't really lend itself to mounting anything on it... The RT with Hawk pegs wasn't the most comfortable either, but I was thinking that invariably police bikes have crash bars and that if the wedgies were also made in a police model (they'd be terrific for running down speeders even on the Autobahn) something like that might be available. But, it appears the RTs are the bike of choice there that BMW sells at a great rate of knots.

Love the bike, but the only two things I can complain about are the seat and the inability to straighten my legs,and the old knees let me know about that after an hour in the saddle... I've got a Sargent ordered at European. So the butt should be fine. I'll live with the knees, I guess. ...Ah well.

Back