• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Challenge... Let loose your roost!

Visian told me earlier that I could participate with my Funduro (pre-GS F650), but does this mean I can't compete because it's not a GS? What if I just write "GS" on the tank???:dunno
Maybe my father-in-law won't notice his r12 GS missing for an hour here and there!:whistle
Please let me know if I can't compete so I can free up that spot for someone with a GS to compete.

you can compete, but get ready... it ain't gonna be easy!

ian

Great fun! Thankyou organizers and volunteers!

This event was awesome. It was a chance to try some offroading under supervision (the training sessions) or show your skill under pressure in the competition. I only went to the rally because there was a chance to play in the dirt. Not that camping, seminars and vendor stores are boring but this event was the kicker.

Ian, Myrna (spelling?) and the guys from the BMW performance center (Ray, Ross, Billy (i think?)) together with other support people and volunteers put in a huge amount of effort to pull this off. I saw Ian driving the tractor for hours trying to deal with the result of some heavy rain. I'm sure every rider who did training or the competition appreciates their effort. THANKYOU!

The Thursday training sessions were a big hit. It was cool seeing people with no offroad experience get started. A lot more GS riders should have been down there to overcome their fear of loose surfaces!

And the competion course... geez... it was set out by the BMW performance center guys. I can still see them grinning and saying it would be 'Challenging' - that was an understatement. They had test ridden it on an R1200 GSA though and proved that it was possible.

Hope everyone got home safely!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out..

Matt Evans

Big Thanks!

Big Thanks

Ian and all the rest..thanks for putting this on :thumb

The BMW performance school was impressive.

I was struck by how many folks with GS's passed up the opportunity to learn and play in the dirt.

The GS was/is my first dirt bike ...:scratch and yes now I have smaller ones. This experience really gave me more inspiration to really ride it like a dirt bike.

It was also a great bonus to see "teach" run the challenge course with the 800. OK so it still did not look easy, but it was cool they way he did it...

Geat time...and also a big thanks to the local BMW riders who put on the bon fires...:clap

I had a blast just sitting on the hill with my $4 cantaloupe and watching - thanks to all who made this happen!

I had a great time!!

Thank you Ian for setting this up and putting all your time into it!

Now, if I could only find someone who was taking pics of the time(s) I fell down.

:laugh

I also would like to thank all those who helped put on the GS Challenge. They did a great job!

I took part in the training on Thursday night and didn't have any problems. But when I saw the guy topple and slide his GS down the hill I decided that it would be too risky for me to try that the Challenge. Perhaps a bunny slope challenge next year in addition to the double black diamond?

Thanks Ian

Sure hope this becomes a regular part of the National. Seems like all the spectators really enjoyed watching it. And I wanted you to know Ian how much we appreciate all the hard work you put in this to make it happen. I just wish I could have made it over the D____ HILL, well there's always next year.

Thanks Again,
Dan

Many Thanks!

ditto here.
Thanks for all your time and efforts Ian, performance center and MOA!

What a great time had by all at the GS Challenge.

I made it over the hill (sencond chances are great) but not much else! LOL

Kevin

Great time

Ian and BMW folks

GS challenge was highlight of rally for me. Had a great time in training and freeplay, and helping out.

Super effort and I echo the hopes this becomes a mainstay of the rally.

Hey, if you GS, you should give it a go. Training and experience worth a ton.

s/f
Mark

you can compete, but get ready... it ain't gonna be easy!

ian

Apparently...

596473666_Lvigt-M.jpg

:laugh

Thanks Ian:)

A wonderful time by all I know, doing this GS dirt event at the rally:). Lots of smiles by all, I thought. Pictures are nice, indeed. I am still road bound out of Pensacola today, heading home for California. One more week out here on the road. Its been a long ride for me and soon over. Jessica/Tim live here now(US Navy, Pensacola)...Happy Trails to you, Ian.....Randy...See ya in Redmond:)

Back