• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Challenge... Let loose your roost!

What will the volunteers be doing? My rally schedule is really filling up, but I may be able to lend a hand.

Oh, and do I need to put on something gnarly than the BattleWings to do the course? :burnout

I sent a PM and have heard nothing :(

chris - i did not receive a PM from you, but did answer your original question in this post.

basically, the Performance Center guys are going to load a few of their bikes on a trailer and haul them to the rally. that's about it for what's going on down there.

really wish you could come.

ian

What will the volunteers be doing? My rally schedule is really filling up, but I may be able to lend a hand.

Oh, and do I need to put on something gnarly than the BattleWings to do the course? :burnout

good tires will help, but the bulk of the course will be designed for street-biased dual-sport tires.

if it rains, though, it will be muddy and those tires will be almost useless.

the volunteers will (hopefully) sign up of 2-hour stints. i want to make sure that volunteering does not come at the expense of participating.

• during the competition, they could be section observers (counting dabs, which add points) or doing timing, or scorekeeping, or helping control the flow of riders, or help riders pick up bikes.
  • during training, they could be picking up bikes. :ha

• depending on the level of interest in this, i think we're going to need some help with signups/scheduling.

i'll be thinking on this over the weekend and plan to put up a web page with the plan and the volunteer list asap.

it'd be great to have you come play, ben.

ian

if it rains, though, it will be muddy and those tires will be almost useless.

Watch it Ian...rain??? that is not in the forecast...at least not in the one I have placed an order for!

Man, this is going to be fun...I wish I could participate...but I think I am busy then??? :laugh

I'd be interested in participating, is there a need to sign up early to save a spot or anything like that. I'm very new to off road and this should be good for getting educated.

Volunteer here:)

I'm in for helping, so ADD me to your list for anything needing done...Randy Owens#13233, alias"Polarbear" GSA1200Red/White....This sounds so good and may well be quite bigger than our first effort at this last year in Gillette. I hope the riders come out in droves, beginners and the best. Its for all riders:). Tennessee, being where it is, may draw a very large rally attendance, I'm hoping. I ride from California again and wish some of these West Coasters would chime in too here. Lets GET some Western GS's/GSA's head'in EAST:), as we can beat those far east riders at this, yes! Randy:thumb :dance :usa

chris - i did not receive a PM from you, but did answer your original question in this post.

basically, the Performance Center guys are going to load a few of their bikes on a trailer and haul them to the rally. that's about it for what's going on down there.

really wish you could come.

ian

Thanks, oh well...

I will tentatively say I'm in for volunteering. I have a growing list other activities between Board stuff and helping co-chair Registration, none of which I have much any actual set schedule for as yet...

Hehehehehe:)

Polarbear is "roaming" East for sure:). I'm a lost Hillbilly from Virginia, but been gone so long, I forgot my roots. I'm sure that'll come back soon enough. Ya'll better practice them dirt skills. The Polarbear cometh to challenge them smaller cousins of the Hills back there....You'll bet on it:)...Randy,Happy Trails:thumb :dance :usa

In!

Ian

I am in for helping out and riding, as well. Sent you a PM as well. SOunds like you need folks there ready to go Thurs AM. I think I can do that. Coming in from NOVA area and should be able to push to Weds departure.

see you there and thanks for setting this up.

s/f
Mark:usa

Another Volunteer

Hey Ian, son of mine is coming and said he'd help for a shift both days. He's young and strong, good candidate to help pick up downed bikes, not mine of course.

LtDan

Updated information

We're continuing to plan the event, this post is to update you all on progress.

First, a nod to our volunteers, we have 13 people (including guys who are brining their sons) but we could still use a few more. Don't forget, if you volunteer, you qualify for a chance to win some really sweet prizes.

The event is 2-days long, split into Training and Competition activities.

Training Day is open to all motorcycles, and it comes with the opportunity to glean advice from the same BMW Performance Center guys who teach the Enduro School in Spartanburg.

Competition Day is open only to BMW GS motorcycles, and will feature four sessions with a shootout between those for winners for the final prize.

Final prizes are some excellent items from the BMW Motorrad goodie bin. You will be pleased. :nod

Here is the track plan we've laid out:

track.jpg

And here is the tentative schedule of events.

Thursday, July 16 - Training Day

9am ÔÇô 10am Train volunteers
10am ÔÇô 11am Training Session 1
11am ÔÇô 12 noon Training Session 2

12 noon ÔÇô 1pm Performance Center Exhibition

1pm ÔÇô 2pm Break, track repair, if required
2pm ÔÇô 3pm Training Session 3
3pm ÔÇô 4pm Training Session 4
4pm ÔÇô 5pm Break

5pm ÔÇô 6pm Performance Center

Friday, July 17 - Competition Day

9am ÔÇô 10am RiderÔÇÖs meeting

10am ÔÇô 11am Competition Session 1
11am ÔÇô 12 noon Competition Session 2

12 noon ÔÇô 1pm Performance Center Exhibition

1pm ÔÇô 2pm Break, track repair, if required
2pm ÔÇô 3pm Competition Session 3
3pm ÔÇô 4pm Competition Session 4
4pm ÔÇô 5pm Break

5pm ÔÇô 6pm Final Challenge ÔÇô Ride-off between sessions 1-4.
Awards Ceremony

VERY IMPORTANT

We're not sure how many riders will participate, so we are in the process of creating a Registration/Sign-up form on the BMW MOA web site.

While this event is FREE to all BMW MOA rally attendees (courtesy of the fine people at BMW Motorrad), space is limited.

I will post again when there is a link to the form and it is strongly advised that you sign-up prior to the rally.

Thanks, and we look forward to riding with you.

Ian

Hey Ian,

How experienced does one need to be to partake in this event?

Is this a basic rider thing, or does one need to have logged 1000s of miles of dirt to enjoy it?

raz

Hey Ian,

How experienced does one need to be to partake in this event?

Is this a basic rider thing, or does one need to have logged 1000s of miles of dirt to enjoy it?

raz

hey raz - this is for you, especially the training part.

this is an excellent chance to practice and learn skills in a controlled environment.

the whole concept involves "challenge by choice" so you decide what you want to try or wait until you're more experienced.

to that end, doing the training doesn't mean you hav to enter the competition, unless you want to for more practice!

and... there's people to help pick up your bike! :thumb

hope you can make it.

ian

hey raz - this is for you, especially the training part.

this is an excellent chance to practice and learn skills in a controlled environment.

the whole concept involves "challenge by choice" so you decide what you want to try or wait until you're more experienced.

to that end, doing the training doesn't mean you hav to enter the competition, unless you want to for more practice!

and... there's people to help pick up your bike! :thumb

hope you can make it.

ian

Cool, sign me up. I'll see what I can do about volunteering as well.

Think this too;

Sometimes removing your "mirrors" and possibly your "windscreen" will save you some grief, if you do topple over:). TAKE as much off your bike as you can, "easily" and the fall(s) will be less painful on your wallet! I've fallen a lot from my GSA1200 and its been slow, first gear getoff's with little to no issues. One broken windscreen however:(. FUN times are coming in Tennessee, so here's a tip I've learned that I hope helps, TAKE IT OFF:):usa Randy

Hey Ian, look forward to helping out , use me wherever you need:usa

jim - thanks, and i am looking forward to meeting you.

for those who don't know, 126229 is the "old" guy who made the cut for the GS Challenge Tunisia. :thumb

the big dogs are coming... woof, woof, WOOF!

ian

Back