• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Challenge... Let loose your roost!

See ya there

I just signed up for the Thursday afternoon training session. I'm a TOTAL NOOB at this...don't hurt me!

Another Noob and Volunteer

OK, after thousands of street only miles (and a few hard packed double track roads) I am game. Registered for Thursday afternoon session to allow time for the twisties earlier in the day. I can volunteer as well for Friday's event (Thursday YBs are already working the gates and pouring the suds) - question - can these events be run on street tires or should we mount up knobbies???:dunno

I'm in, TOO:)

Signed up for training and competition....Got my confirmation:). I hope I got in quick enough to get a shirt! Randy"Polarbear"GSA1200:thumb:usa:dance

I'm in!

This n00b will be on Tourances- no knobbies for me.

I signed up for a morning session, in an attempt to "beat the heat."

Also, I'm hoping for less spectators at the first session!:p

Tires

the course is being built so that it can be negotiated on street tires. of course, the more aggressive dual-sport knobbies like TKC80s or Karoos will be an advantage, but you will be able to have plenty of fun on the more street-biased Tourances, Distanzias, etc.

however, rain will be a challeng. the dirt is that red clay like in georgia and does get slippery when wet.

to help that, we'll have a tractor with a boxblade on-site for the week. i am hoping that it's the kind of boxblade with ripper teeth. we should be able to scrape things into reasonable shape if it rains.

the course is being built so that it can be negotiated on street tires. of course, the more aggressive dual-sport knobbies like TKC80s or Karoos will be an advantage, but you will be able to have plenty of fun on the more street-biased Tourances, Distanzias, etc.

however, rain will be a challeng. the dirt is that red clay like in georgia and does get slippery when wet.

to help that, we'll have a tractor with a boxblade on-site for the week. i am hoping that it's the kind of boxblade with ripper teeth. we should be able to scrape things into reasonable shape if it rains.

Sucks i have to work... and cant make it out since we all know my cycle likes the mud so much:laugh

Not good:(

Way too bad you cannot come out and play, UFO! You'll be missed. MUD, will there be a reasonable place to get it OFF the bikes later? Large hose or car wash nearby? Some of that stuff makes a real mess of the bikes. I have NO issue making a mess, but like to get it off afterwards, "sooner" than later down the road. TIRES? I use Battle Wings by Bridgestone and off road a lot with'em. A LOT less air makes a huge difference, so bring your compressor:). Tractor? Need a tractor guy? I have a recently new tractor at home with years of time driving'em. If ya'll need someone to excavate, scrape, etc.., let me know. I love my tractor, its sexy, the girls say:),Randy:usa

I just registered. :dance
This should be fun, and I hope to learn a lot. I was over to the fair grounds a couple days ago just to look around. The motorcross track looked like a giant mess! Recent Monster Truck mud bog event it looked like. But I trust you guys will have it worked on before we get there.
See y'all soon. :thumb

Way too bad you cannot come out and play, UFO! You'll be missed. MUD, will there be a reasonable place to get it OFF the bikes later? Large hose or car wash nearby? Some of that stuff makes a real mess of the bikes. I have NO issue making a mess, but like to get it off afterwards, "sooner" than later down the road. TIRES? I use Battle Wings by Bridgestone and off road a lot with'em. A LOT less air makes a huge difference, so bring your compressor:). Tractor? Need a tractor guy? I have a recently new tractor at home with years of time driving'em. If ya'll need someone to excavate, scrape, etc.., let me know. I love my tractor, its sexy, the girls say:),Randy:usa

i got lucky to find a job in Janurary with Hertz at the Aspen Airport... it pays some but not enough... Lucky to have 4 days a week...but my other job just vaporized with the economy...there is not much up here in the mountains right now taht pays more than 12per hr and Winter and summer are the buzy season... so only day rides and commuting to work for me. Though most would like the commute o 70 miles i get to do in the mountains...

I just ride through a rain storm to wash my cycle... though it gets hosed off before any maintaince:laugh

Second on the lowering you tire pressure... on the TCK80s you can go down to 20lbs without a load on the cycle... i do this with sand dune riding on my 1150gs... the tourances can low like that also to get those side wall tread to dig in... or just bring some snow chains:laugh:p and some go-go girls to push you out.:whistle:heh

the worst thing is that i lost all the images from my harddrive of last year when it crashed... so Russ is having to get some copies to me

If anything changes?

Come anyways:)...I do my tires to 16-18 unloaded and 25+ for a fully touring packed offroad GSA in the dirt. The compressor is the most useful tool, or one of them on my bike. If I'm on hard packed trails, I leave all the air in, at 38-40. Like riding on marbles with a full load of air though, on gravel roads. My road miles, the bike is usually quite cleaned up nicely, but one never knows where the next dirt road/trail is going to mess it all up again. Find another car wash:), next town. Happy Trails, UFO, see ya around, Randy PS; my favorite is River Crossings:), I love the wet....:thumb:usa

all signed up and ready to go

Ian

Already on the volunteer list and now registered for the Thursday training. Looking forward to it.

Hey, do we need motorcross-style boots or will a set of prexport boots work. I have some Thors but don't want to pack them unless I need them.

s/f
Mark

I was over to the fair grounds a couple days ago just to look around. The motorcross track looked like a giant mess! Recent Monster Truck mud bog event it looked like. But I trust you guys will have it worked on before we get there.
See y'all soon. :thumb

yeah, i was there a little over a week ago, the day that monster truck event started. i thought for a moment that all those crushed cars would make for great obstacles, but then figured it *might* be a little tough on the tires. :ha

we're going to start building on monday ahead of the rally, and doing the rest of the prep on tuesday and wednesday.

ian

Ian

Already on the volunteer list and now registered for the Thursday training. Looking forward to it.

Hey, do we need motorcross-style boots or will a set of prexport boots work. I have some Thors but don't want to pack them unless I need them.

s/f
Mark

i think normal gear will be ok. boots with ankle protection and traction-oriented soles would be better.

Well, I just registered for the competition.

Anybody besides me goofy enough to ride 500 mile (plus) to get to the rally on TKC80's?
Hope I have some meat left when I get there! :ha

Well, I just registered for the competition.

Anybody besides me goofy enough to ride 500 mile (plus) to get to the rally on TKC80's?
Hope I have some meat left when I get there! :ha

you should be fine. those TKC80 fronts last forever, the rears go about 3500 miles.

ian

ps => love your avatar!

Grand prizes

ok... still waiting to totally confirm before releasing details, but the grand prizes for this event are looking to be SWEET :dance!

Just signed up! I have a road pilot on the front, anakee rear. May need to get a matching anakee front this week. I have some TKC80's in the garage but I know they won't last the 4k round trip.

Back