• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Article in May ON

GILLY

What, me worry?
How many have read the K1300 article yet?

No offense to Mr Winkel, but just like the previous article (April ON) it comes off as just another BMW produced writeup.

I also take several items to task (of course I am defending my K1200GT but so what). (PG56)
Desmodromic operation of the throttle, I believe we had that on the 1200.
Adjustable seat and handlebars, I believe are a direct carry-over.
Optimized aerodynamics, oh the Buick ventiporttm?
Electrically adjustable windshield, is noted in the article that it is a carry-over, why it would be listed in the technical highlights is beyond me.

In the third column on page 56, concerning cosmetic improvements, says "inner surfaces of the fairing are now fully painted and no longer in the conventional grain touch", the pics make it look identical to my 07, see page 58 upper left. Also mentions instrument panel painted a dark metallic color, again I see no change, how slight was the color change?
The part after that REALLY has me scratching my head about the integrated protectors in the fairings. I had read this before, in BMW material, and Vince seems to be just repeating this info, WHERE again is this fairing protection?? The fairing seems identical to the prior 06-08 models save for the ventiport, the article even seems to allude to this, but nope, it has fairing protection. ohhhhhkayyyy.
Moving on, page 57, above that VERY attractive night shot of the red GT, refers to the "newly designed speedometer and tachometer with an even more dynamic layout". WTH, the next page shows the cluster, what little you can see around the specimen jars (heh), and sure look identical to a certain 07 I have in the garage! What is different about the instruments??

Other than pointing out the tricky typo on top of page 89, I'm getting off the soapbox now.

Gilly

Which brings me to a thought when I read the article...
What if a test ride and report were done by an owner-rider of the previous same model?

You mean the pre-06 model??
By the pictures you can tell a test ride was taken, but the whole article, except for a few paragraphs, sounds like BMW wrote it, either that or Vince should write sales brochures and press releases for BMW. NOT that there is nothing good to say about the bike. And I'm sure MOA doesn't want to tick BMW off. He could at least say that other than performance and handling improvements, the changes in styling, controls, and reservoirs are a subjective thing, instead of how these changes are a hands-down improvement. (and mentioning changes that I don't think even exist)
Gilly

Didn't know your K 1200 GT needed defending. What's the matter, it can not defend itself? :laugh

Anytime, anywhere, any place, BABY:thumb

The new "tipover" fairing protectors are concealed by the vents.
seriously???

Which brings me to a thought when I read the article...
What if a test ride and report were done by an owner-rider of the previous same model?

Oh, I see what you mean now, it was kinda early before. Yeah, that would be a good thought. I'm no writer, but other than a few paragraphs (and the pictures which proves there actually WAS a roadtest done) the article just seems to read like a BMW brochure, like the K13X3 article (or whatever it was called) in the previous issue. There are things i would definitely like about the 1300 (did I mention the torque:brow ), there are other things I know I definitely would NOT like about it.

Gilly

I'm guessing the tipover fairing protectors are the frame sliders...I'm not sure how that protects anything.

When I read the article, two things came to mind...

1) this must be the first PERFECT object ever produced- not one negative aspect

2) where's Billy Mays?

C'mon, guys...

I'm hoping that the K1300 models will be sooooo much better than the '06 through '08 K12 series that the bottom will drop out of the K12 pricing...

...meaning that I'll be able to pick up a used one for a veritable song.

Relax, folks, it's a MOA sponsored magazine. Of course there'll be huge amounts of cheerleading for the new models. I remember when the first K1200GT's came out and there was a comparo in the Owner's News to an FJR1300. No matter how they tried to spin it, (and spin it they did), I thought the article was the best ad for an FJR that I'd ever read.:bolt

I'm hoping that the K1300 models will be sooooo much better than the '06 through '08 K12 series that the bottom will drop out of the K12 pricing...

...meaning that I'll be able to pick up a used one for a veritable song.

Ok here's the logic on that one...if the '08 and earlier were so inferior, why would you want one? And if the low price made them attractive anyway, then they would be in demand and demand higher prices. Then you would not want such an inferior bike at such a high price.

Ok here's the logic on that one...if the '08 and earlier were so inferior, why would you want one? And if the low price made them attractive anyway, then they would be in demand and demand higher prices. Then you would not want such an inferior bike at such a high price.

Anybody want to buy a new Chrysler?

With due respect for faithful Fiat owners, Fiat having ownership of a significant share of Chrysler does not give me warm fuzzies.

With due respect for faithful Fiat owners, Fiat having ownership of a significant share of Chrysler does not give me warm fuzzies.

Having owned a 60's 124 Sport Coupe, I agree. 1000 cc, and when working, ran like a bat out of hell. When not working ............

However, it seems Fiat has been working hard at improving quality and have several newer models that we will see in the US, including a small turbo diesel that gets excellent mileage. Now if only it doesn't turn out again that FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony, they may do well here.

The fiasco for Chrysler was their being bought out by Daimler-Benz. Like may takeovers, Sprint/Nextel etc, the "synergies" never materialized. And D-B lost millions when they sold.

Oh well, time will tell. One more thing for us to talk about. :D

Back