• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Smokies National Park Unpaved Roads

texanrt

I just received my road guide for the Smokies National Park and noticed there are several unpaved loops within the park -- from the pictures they look like well-maintained gravel roads. Anybody ridden these roads? Do they have any steep grades?

Last edited:
I just received my road guide for the Smokies National Park and noticed there are several unpaved loops within the park -- from the pictures they look like well-maintained gravel roads. Anybody ridden these roads? Do they have any steep grades?

There's a road on the northeast side of the park running from around the Big Creek Campground to the Catalochee section of the park in NC. Nice gravel road. No steep grades. Follow it all the way to the east end and you end up around Maggie Valley, NC.

check out my article "putting the t's in twisities"

in there you will find a GPS file that contains a few of the better roads, including parson's branch.

on the portion of the route that follows the northeast corner of the park, there are several roads that go deep into the park. you ultimately will reach gates, but they are really nice rides.

most of the roads are your typical graded gravel forest service roads.

parsons branch is more primitive, but not overly challenging.

note: parson's branch is currently closed due to the huge amount of rain received over the winter. it is *supposed* to be open in time for our rally.

ian

I've ridden a good number of these roads over the years, almost always on street bikes. While they are in good condition generally, a good hard rain can wash them out in places and it takes some time for them to be repaired. This is especially true in today's reduced staffing era.

By all means, enjoy any of these roads but don't expect perfectly groomed roads early in the riding season.

Thanks for all the great information -- I'll be heading that way in May and plan to spend a couple of days in the park.

I've riden Cade's Cove on my R1200RT. Part paved, part not -- no problem getting through, but expect a lot of people in cars, on bicycles, motorcycles, hiking, etc.

My brother in law just opened a KLR rental business in Townsend. Back entrance to the park / Cades Cove. Check 'em out. You can rent a KLR and ride all the gravel you want.

www.GSMmotoRent.com

Kevin

Back