• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who makes a good rain suit out there and what works?

RTRandy

I've certainly had my share of rides in pouring rain while wearing rain gear, however I just don't think my gear has what I need.

Riding in high summer heat and having some water get through might actually be welcome, while on the other hand, riding in cold weather really demands staying dry.

This past weekend I had to get home from Hot Springs, Arkansas on a Sunday so I had no choice but to ride in bad weather. The first hour was light rain, however we ended up in hard driving rain for about 3 hours on the interstate. The kind where drivers had their windshield wipers on max. By the time we stopped for fuel, I just felt damp in places like my butt, super wet gloves, and just parts of my rain suit as well.

Currently I'm using a First Gear jacket and bib rain pants, but I'm not sure these cut it.

I'd really like a suit that can be put on easily. Yes the pants on mine have a zipper at the bottom, however the zipper only goes up to mid calf at best. When you have to pull over due to sudden rain, it would be ideal to have a zipper go all the way up to the mid thigh to get the pants on an off easily over riding boots. It's one thing to set out wearing rain pants, however it's a whole other story wearing riding gear and trying to pull rain pants over riding boots while standing along side a road. Secondly, my pants have no fly. That means you have to be innovative in the rest room. Add a winter touring jacket and a heated jacket liner and the whole scene gets comical.

I realize zippers add more potential leak points, but a Velcro flap should solve that.
Pockets are another must. It's a pain to have to reach underneath your suit to get something like a credit card or glasses.

I prefer the rain suit to fold up easily so as not to take up too much room, yet be waterproof and breathable. Probably asking for a lot though it should be possible.

Anybody have suggestions for anything close? Also after this weekend, I'm in the market for something that covers gloves if anyone can suggest a solution. Haven't seen "Glove covers" so I just bring extras.

I've certainly had my share of rides in pouring rain while wearing rain gear, however I just don't think my gear has what I need.

Riding in high summer heat and having some water get through might actually be welcome, while on the other hand, riding in cold weather really demands staying dry.

This past weekend I had to get home from Hot Springs, Arkansas on a Sunday so I had no choice but to ride in bad weather. The first hour was light rain, however we ended up in hard driving rain for about 3 hours on the interstate. The kind where drivers had their windshield wipers on max. By the time we stopped for fuel, I just felt damp in places like my butt, super wet gloves, and just parts of my rain suit as well.

Currently I'm using a First Gear jacket and bib rain pants, but I'm not sure these cut it.

I'd really like a suit that can be put on easily. Yes the pants on mine have a zipper at the bottom, however the zipper only goes up to mid calf at best. When you have to pull over due to sudden rain, it would be ideal to have a zipper go all the way up to the mid thigh to get the pants on an off easily over riding boots. It's one thing to set out wearing rain pants, however it's a whole other story wearing riding gear and trying to pull rain pants over riding boots while standing along side a road. Secondly, my pants have no fly. That means you have to be innovative in the rest room. Add a winter touring jacket and a heated jacket liner and the whole scene gets comical.

I realize zippers add more potential leak points, but a Velcro flap should solve that.
Pockets are another must. It's a pain to have to reach underneath your suit to get something like a credit card or glasses.

I prefer the rain suit to fold up easily so as not to take up too much room, yet be waterproof and breathable. Probably asking for a lot though it should be possible.

Anybody have suggestions for anything close? Also after this weekend, I'm in the market for something that covers gloves if anyone can suggest a solution. Haven't seen "Glove covers" so I just bring extras.

I too use a First Gear Pants / Jacket set up and find it ok in lite rain for a short time. If it rains harder it will leak. I have used Gore-Tex in the past and while better than the first gear, In heavy rain it to will start to leak at some point. I have a Nelson Rigg rain suit, rubber which will Not leak, but does not breath. It also offers very little insulation from the cold. I guess I'm saying is that I have not found a perfect system and I dought one exist for all weather conditions. Maybe others have found something that works. As for glove covers, I believe I saw some on the whitehorsepress web site. Good luck in you quest for the perfect rain gear.

RT Randy check your private messages .
As for putting on raingear always carry plastic shopping bags for your boots. Slip them on your boots first and your rainpants will just slid through...........don't forget to take the bags off before you get on the bike!

NOT BMW.

When we bought our new (to us) K1100RS, we bought 1 pc BMW rainsuits for both of us.

OK in light rain, not in heavy stuff.

VERY HOT!!!!

Not good for anyone with longer legs- I have to tape the bottom of the suit legs to the top of my boots.

Take a look at the Nelson-Rigg line.

Have had very good success (i.e. dry) with these garments in more rain than I'd like to remember riding through.

Good Luck!

I prefer the rain suit to fold up easily so as not to take up too much room, yet be waterproof and breathable.

My 2-piece Teknik rainsuit, rain boots and rain gloves roll into my custom made 6" diameter x 15" long stuffsack and reside in my topcase.

I prefer a PVC/rubber coated nylon rainsuit with welded seams which keeps me dry in my 2-piece Aerostich on extended (over 30 minute) heavy rainfalls.

The only dampness you'll feel after many hours of riding in heavy rain is your own perspiration and rain entering by the neck area. Gore-Tex is useless under those conditions. If the relative humidity is 100% outside of the Gore-Tex suit, why would any water vapor from inside the Gore-Tex membrane migrate outwards?

Edited to add: by breathable, my rainsuit does have an overlapping flap across the back.

These are the rain gloves and rain boots that I use...

205006_260_LI_03.JPG

205099_260_03.JPG

Last edited:
I've been using a two-piece Tour Master rain suit for about 3 years. It breathes well, has zippers on the legs and jacket with a velcro flap on the jacket. Very soft collar. Only time it allowed me to get wet was the first time I used it and failed to get the velcro flap properly secured.

I had a two pice Hein Gericke rainsuit for several years that worked great at keeping out water but was not breathable. I now have the two piece Tourmaster and it also works great.

Maybe they are not technically considered a rain suit, and are quite expensive if used only as a rain suit, but my Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants have kept me dry in a couple of very hard and extended rains. I wear the jacket all of the time for protection/warmth and keep the pants in the paniers for rain/cold. No problems so far.

Frogg Toggs

What he said, best suit I have ever used, light, compact, waterproof and BREATHS!!! Many suit keep the rain out, but soak you with sweat, If I am going to get wet, I would rather have rain it smells less.

My 2-piece Teknik rainsuit, rain boots and rain gloves roll into my custom made 6" diameter x 15" long stuffsack and reside in my topcase.

I prefer a PVC/rubber coated nylon rainsuit with welded seams which keeps me dry in my 2-piece Aerostich on extended (over 30 minute) heavy rainfalls.

The only dampness you'll feel after many hours of riding in heavy rain is your own perspiration and rain entering by the neck area. Gore-Tex is useless under those conditions. If the relative humidity is 100% outside of the Gore-Tex suit, why would any water vapor from inside the Gore-Tex membrane migrate outwards?

Edited to add: by breathable, my rainsuit does have an overlapping flap across the back.

These are the rain gloves and rain boots that I use...

205006_260_LI_03.JPG

205099_260_03.JPG

"Gore-Tex is useless under those conditions. If the relative humidity is 100% outside of the Gore-Tex suit, why would any water vapor from inside the Gore-Tex membrane migrate outwards?"

Exactly what I tell anyone who will listen. I can see it working as advertised for a short time, but not if you are out all day in the rain.

regards,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
Frogg Toggs

What he said, best suit I have ever used, light, compact, waterproof and BREATHS!!! Many suit keep the rain out, but soak you with sweat, If I am going to get wet, I would rather have rain it smells less.

AND......I just happen to have a BRAND NEW black XL Road Toad for sale for the low low cost of $45.00 shipped. :deal

pm me if interested

I ride year round in a First Gear Kilimanjaro and First Gear pants. Works great in the rains of Western Oregon. With the number of vents on it and take out the liner I've road in 104+ temps in it last summer. I can't say enough good things about it. The only thing I wish was that it as high-viz color. I got mine in black at the dealer as that was what everyone in town carried at the time. Oh, and I might add I ride about an hour to and from work in it.

Agree, Frogg Toggs will keep you dry even in a downpour. New line for motorcycling has reflective piping and longer boot zippers, storm flaps, etc.
Only downside is they make you look like the Michelin Man (or woman).

Agree, Frogg Toggs will keep you dry even in a downpour. New line for motorcycling has reflective piping and longer boot zippers, storm flaps, etc.
Only downside is they make you look like the Michelin Man (or woman).

But you will be a warm and dry Michelin Man. :laugh

Frogg Toggs do the job and take up very little space. Have used them for years.

Maybe I don't get it but I don't even own any rain gear. I wear British Motorcycle Gear, upper and lower, and my wife wears Olympus jacket and Harley (gasp!) pants. We've ridden in hard rain all day long and have not been wet.

Frogg Toggs. Go to their web site and look at the close outs. Got one for $20.00. Wore it about 2 hrs this weekend and was very satisfied.

Ed

Back