• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who makes a good rain suit out there and what works?

We have BMW two piece Goretex suits. Dry and cool in all day rain, downpours for hours, etc. We used to use NorthFace Goretex mountain light suits and the BMW ones are equal or better for protection. And cool in the summer.

+another 1 for the Froggs

What he said, best suit I have ever used, light, compact, waterproof and BREATHS!!! Many suit keep the rain out, but soak you with sweat, If I am going to get wet, I would rather have rain it smells less.

They also make a great windbreak to wear over a mesh suit for chilly mornings. I've used them for years and LOVE them!

Overpant

I've been using a Darien set-up for a few years now. I've done hours in heavy rain and not got wet. There was one extended ride when my bottom was getting what felt like dampness after water ponded on the seat for an hour or so.

Anyhow, I was just in the dealer on Monday looking for commuter suits. They had a shiny, new BMW Overpant suit on display. Looked very nice. It seems to go over your street clothes. To me it looked more of a city over-suit vs full touring. Also, the front zipper did not have a storm flap, so i suspect light rain only. Good looking suit though.....

J cloth???:doh
The only source I came up with for the Proof overgloves is in UK and their website doesn't mention USA shipping?
I wear a hein-Gerike jacket and I have never been wet on the inside with it-"IF" I had the liner installed-same goes for BMW Kalhari pants,"IF" the liner was worn. The biggest hurdle I have found with MC rain gear is the fit. I have a 39-40 waist and a larger chest but short legs, so everything I have tried that goes over the other stuff-as in protective clothing- is waaaaayyyyy too long in the legs and what with the design not easy to alter at the cuff-any ideas out there in this respect?

Last edited:
The only source I came up with for the Proof overgloves is in UK and their website doesn't mention USA shipping?

No worries; similar overgloves and overboots are available in the US as well. You'll have to hunt down the source, but I know I've seen them listed in catalogs here.

I got mine at either Louis or Hein Gericke in Germany...wait a minute...you now have a reason to take a trip. :laugh

But will they last 10 years? The stuff looks like J-Cloth material.

If you never take them out of the package.

They have kept me dry riding, but they are not very tough. IMO they are not worth the money.

I ride and fish in the rain. One word "Gortex". I have a Cabela's gore tex rain suit and have never gotten wet. I just spent 3 days fishing in downpours and remained dry. Usually I buy low cost (cheap) stuff, but $250 is the minimum for a good rain suit.

Ralph Sims

Frogg Toggs. Go to their web site and look at the close outs. Got one for $20.00. Wore it about 2 hrs this weekend and was very satisfied.

Ed

Gee thanks ed, it's not like I'm trying to sell my extra one or nothin' !! :stick

Nelson Rigg

My vote is for Nelson Rigg.
I forgot the model number, but it is relatively new (came out last year) and it has vents under the arms so you do not fry.
Very high quality construction.
I rode through light rain, heavy stuff (I had to pull over for 40 minutes), and a torrential pour (chaos) and the suit worked flawlessly.
you will not be disappointed.

I will arbitrate the Frogg Togg situation! I went to the site and looked and there are many models so how can you argue over price not knowing the model offered?:violin
As to the fishing in the rain and the $250 comment-I don't think so! I wear army ponchos to fish, ride tractor and pay around $3 for one-also my/our football game attire in the rain or if cooler I wear the newer army gortex parka(replaced the old heavy field jacket)-it is the best medium weight coat I have ever owned.I had to cough up $10 for the parka. They are dense weave cloth, velcro wrists,hoods,big pockets,light weight to wear and to tell the truth probably better stuff than what a lot of people ride in.
If you watch what the commercial fishing people wear you get an idea what works in lots of rain.

rain suit

I agree that the Frog Toggs are the best bang for the buck. Buy the Bib Pants setup. If I know I am in for an all-day, Floriday Hurricane type rainstorm I put the Frog Toggs UNDER my Aerostich because the 'stich will eventually leak if you ride fast in heavy rain. Put the hood on the Toggs jacket up, put the helmet over the hood--NO WATER DOWN THE NECK!!! Arrive dry and comfortable.

Your basic Tour Master rain suit under $100.00 and I have never got wet in it. Also use it as an extra layer when cold. It has kept me warm and completely dry in all day down pours packs small and can go over any gear and did I mention it keeps you really dry!

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Tour Master Defender :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Haven't gotten wet yet!

Good reflective material so you show up at night.

A real value.

This is the Frogg Toggs suit you want. It is the Elite model, not the Tyvek material used in their low priced suits.

http://www.graniteoutdoors.com/id42.html

It breathes and the jacket is very fashionable looking, if that is how you want to appear.

I have owned an older model of this suit for about four years and it has never failed to keep me dry, even in the most torrential downpours.

Just want to say thanks for all the great information. Looks like it boiled down to three main sources: Nelson Riggs, Tourmaster, and an overwhelming passionate shout out for Frogg Toggs. Either you Frog Togg owners are really share holders involved in some kind of conspiracy or that stuff really works great. I remember holding a Frogg Toggs set in my hands at the Vermont Rally and thinking they felt more like a set of flannel pajamas. I'm certainly a believer and hope to check out a pair at the Tennessee rally in July.

On thing I like about the Polyurethane-backed nylon type suits are the hooded collars which for some reason I've never deployed my own jacket to try under my helmet. I will next time in hard rain. One other advantage to the Tourmaster/ Nelson Riggs type styles are the bright colors and the extra reflective trim pieces for high visibility.

Also mentioned was Nick Plenzick's 2 piece suit from his web site and also sold at Road Gear. High quality and pricey compared to the massed produced lines.

Oddly enough I ended up buying a pair of those Proof brand rain gloves which Alex (GlobleRider) showed on the 6th post. They don't ship to the US so I had them sent to a friend in London just so I could get a pair. Only place I could find them.

Keep in mind the rain suit I own works pretty good overall, however you don't know how good your suit works until you ride in a downpour for a few hours. I will definitely try one of the new brands in the next month or so.

During the summer months I ride with a beaded seat from Beadrider.com and that makes a huge difference keeping your butt off the seat and dry.

Thanks again for the great info.

My vote is for Nelson Rigg.
I forgot the model number, but it is relatively new (came out last year) and it has vents under the arms so you do not fry.
Very high quality construction.
I rode through light rain, heavy stuff (I had to pull over for 40 minutes), and a torrential pour (chaos) and the suit worked flawlessly.
you will not be disappointed.

Sounds like someone who appreciates the complexity of our weather here in the midwest.

Thursday, my son and I went on a little 'Six State Jaunt' that covered 1,400+ miles by Saturday evening (4/25). We only made it to the Wittenburg area of WI Thursday morning before we were treated to 36 degrees and rain. Rain lasted all the way to Wausau (Thunderstorm at that point!), and our Nelson-Rigg raingear performed flawlessly, so two thumbs up for this brand.

By the time we were heading northwest from the twin cities of MN towards ND, it hit 90 degrees, and we were stripping off layers faster than a pole dancer at Bike Week.

Friday brought wind advisories, as we headed south thru ND and SD, and then on into IA, with 40+ mph gusts as traveling companions. By the time we had lunch in Nebraska, Mother Nature had actually settled down and the day was pleasant.

Saturday has us digging out the Nelson-Riggs again, the day never getting over 46 degrees as we traversed a wet MN and WI to get home.

The right gear makes all the difference!

Back