• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oilhead tools for the road: must have, nice to have, don't leave home without it

For both, I just carry the tool kit that came with my motorcycle as well as a pocket-sized DMM and a few simple parts (QR O-rings, oil filler cap and oil sight glass) in a small Nalgene jar.

Oil sight glass?? Are those prone to disappear? What does it take to install a new one?

Oil sight glass?? Are those prone to disappear?

From what I've read, some have popped out. I really can't understand why unless the seal around them is so dried out due to age and heat, or internal engine pressure (why), or a poor fit due to the hole not being machined to specification at BMW.

What does it take to install a new one?

Nothing...if you have one one hand.

The sight glass popped out of my R1100RS sometime after about 150,000 miles. It did it right on startup, so I suppose that was a moment of higher than usual pressure. I put it back in by hand -- it didn't take much effort -- and then used some duct tape to help hold it in place until I could visit a BMW dealer a couple hours later and get it replaced.

HOw about some prevention....such as super glueing it in before it has a chance to pop out!?:bolt

OK, I'll bite...

How do you change the oil site glass?

Doesn't that automatically mean one should carry a spare container of oil, too?

HOw about some prevention....such as super glueing it in before it has a chance to pop out!?:bolt

Superglue won't work. When it sets up, it's very brittle. Every time the motor runs and cools, it expands and contracts. The glue will break up, and it would probably provdie a smoother surface than the rubber sealing surface it coats.

Just bring some duct tape with you. These things rarely if ever occur in a bike's lifetime. Duct tape will hold the old one in, if you should find it, or will keep the oil in enough for you to get to a dealer (or a place with more duct tape). Once the motor is running, there's a slight vacuum maintained and you shouldn't have to worry about the tape coming off.

In my case, I was in rural France and when I started my bike that morning, it was somehow louder than usual, like there was a hole in the exhaust pipe. It was loud enough that I heard it even with my earplugs in. I stopped to check it out and found the sight glass in the bushes next to me. I taped it back in place and got a new one installed that afternoon.

How do you change the oil site glass?

Doesn't that automatically mean one should carry a spare container of oil, too?

Use a machine screw to puncture the old glass and pull. You may need to use something like a screwdriver to lever the glass out. Lightly lubricate the rim of the new glass and push it in. A socket about the size of the glass can help. Keep the glass flush to the case. It's pretty much like installing any other seal.

As for oil, may not be needed immediately. Remember, if the oil level is at the bottom of the glass you're down maybe 1/2 a quart. Assuming you didn't have the bike leaned over or were pumping oil out you're not going to be down much more than that.

And on the hexheads the sight glass is held by a circlip.

// marc

If I ever have mine out, I'll see if there is enough material to machine the hole deeper; all I need is 0.100" . Then I can machine a goove for a circlip.

Duct tape and...a "Harley" wrench! (The one with the red handle.)

Back