• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping in/around Mononghela National Forest, WV?

deitscher

Schwetzt du aa Deitsch?
Headed down to the Monongahela National Forest area in WV over Memorial Day weekend. Looking for tips on camping spots in or near the National Forest. Three motorcycles and two to three tents will be making the trip. I am looking for somewhere remote where all of the tents can stay close to each other. After looking online, a lot of places that I came across say only one tent per site. Any help is greatly appreciated.

How 'bout the Cass Rally?

Headed down to the Monongahela National Forest area in WV over Memorial Day weekend. Looking for tips on camping spots in or near the National Forest. Three motorcycles and two to three tents will be making the trip. I am looking for somewhere remote where all of the tents can stay close to each other. After looking online, a lot of places that I came across say only one tent per site. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well... you could always stay here: http://mountaineerbmw.org/cass2009.html

Mountaineer BMW Riders
Memorial Day Weekend
May 22, 23, & 24, 2009
Boyer Station Campground

-MTS

Thanks for the invite

Mike,

Thanks for the invite, but the other guys traveling with me are not Beemer riders. I don't think they would fully appreciate the event. Now me on the other hand......

Mike,

Thanks for the invite, but the other guys traveling with me are not Beemer riders. I don't think they would fully appreciate the event. Now me on the other hand......

Not to sell you on the event but.............
it is a really nice rally, and the location is tough to beat for riding in that area.
there are many non bmw riders in attendance usually, your friends would be welcome.
All the services you need are near by too, food, beer, gas.
jason

Priorities

Not to sell you on the event but.............
it is a really nice rally, and the location is tough to beat for riding in that area.
there are many non bmw riders in attendance usually, your friends would be welcome.
All the services you need are near by too, food, beer, gas.
jason

...but not necessarily in that order. :laugh

-MTS

Camping in WV?

Are you pavement bound, or can you do gravel and Forest Roads? If you can handle 11 miles of graveled forest road in the Mon, then my favorite campground is the Laurel Fork site. It is about 8 miles west of the top of Spruce Knob (the highest mtn in WV). It is a primitive campsite, with picnic tables, fire rings, and a (modern) pit toilet. Fee is $8 a night, and you can fit up to four tents per site. It is very remote, but beautiful. Still, you have to bring everything you need. :thumb Here is a list of links to all campground in the Mon, from their official website.

If you are pavement bound, then try Yoakum's Vacationland Campground at Mouth of Seneca, where Rt 33 and Rt 28 split. (Seneca Rocks) Here is the link for more information on lodging/camping in that area

Still, I'd take my friends and do the rally at Boyer's Station. I've been to many BMW rallies with non-BMW riding friends and it just isn't an issue. In fact, I've ridden one of my non-BMWs to a rally too. It's a great way to meet other riders, although you'll see tons of them at Seneca Rocks that weekend too. That part of WV is riding heaven.

jeff

Clarification

Thanks for the all the info. I feel that I need to clarify a point...the reason we weren't planning on hitting the rally had nothing to do with the make of our bikes. I always brag to my non-beemer friends the hospitality extended at a typical beemer function. Our plan was a weekend camping trip on our own...it is a test run for our big planned August trip to Montana and Wyoming. The rally sounds great, just going to take a rain check this year. Again, thanks for the info and we can do off-road riding, so the first place sounds great!

Thanks for the all the info.

Our plan was a weekend camping trip on our own...it is a test run for our big planned August trip to Montana and Wyoming......

Sounds like the Laurel Fork site will be perfect for you. Make sure you ride up the back side of Spruce Knob to the top! It is now paved all the way from the front, so that's no challenge anymore. Oh, and the campground is bisected by the forest road, so go to the smaller side for tent camping. The larger side has an open field, and lots of RV sites. It is first come first served, so get there early that weekend or it may be full. (They don't allow reservations.)

If you want to see some pictures of Laurel Fork, here is a link to a weekend camping trip we did there a while back. Laurel Fork campout

Have fun! It should be a great rehearsal for your big summer trip. If you need any more information about that area, my family place is just south of Franklin on Rt220. I can help you find some really great roads in that area that you might not find otherwise. Just PM me and I'll be happy to help.

jeff

Back