• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sidi Boots: Recommended Sources?

T

TANDEMGEEK

Anyone have any recommendations on where to shop for Sidi boots?

For the most part it appears as though all of the Etailers are toeing the line by showing MSRP here in the states and the only price differential ends up being the cost of shipping, i.e., free vs. fee.

The shops in the UK have the Sidi boots priced very well such that even with overseas shipping the total cost is still below MSRP offered by US dealers hence my search for a domestic source... as someone has to be keeping an eye on the total market price points.

I've not stopped by the local shops but, for the most part, selection is usually not all that wide and inventory not too deep.

Thanks for any leads.

Haven't priced them recently but when I purchased a few years ago http://www.newenough.com/ was competitively priced and they are good about exchanges for different sizes. Even at that time there was little price differential between stores. Previous Sidi purchase was a Honda dealership.

Previous experience with Sidi is MSRP.

Had the On Road very good boot but would have tendency to make my feet sweat and took a long time to break in.

For comparable cost i got the BMW Santiago's - much more robust and they were broke in in about a day

Something to think about

YMMV

I've been wearing Oxtar and AlpineStar Goretex touring boots for my daily commute for the past couple years which have been great from an all-weather / comfort standpoint.

However, I'm now looking at the recently reviewed Crossfire TA as I've been nursing a broken left ankle back to health for the past 10 weeks and am looking for some added lower-leg / ankle protection for when I resume riding. With any luck I'll be out of my cast by the end of the week but already know that it will take a few months before my leg is fully healed and back to full strength.

Wow - those are ROBUST

Are they waterproof? They are full blown motorcross boots.

Aree you going to use them for on or off-road?

Wow - those are ROBUST. Are they waterproof? They are full blown motorcross boots. Aree you going to use them for on or off-road?

Yes, they're definitely MX boots. The various reports I've read -- including the recent review here on the BMW MOA site -- seem to indicate they're fairly water resistant, but certainly not 'water proof'.

My near-term, primary use will be for my year-round daily commute here in the Atlanta, GA area: about 40 minutes to and from work at 6am and 7pm on mostly secondary two-lane roads in good weather and bad, hot and cold.

I looked at some other Sidi models as well, but given my desire for basically an armored lower-leg I'm more inclined to give up some water resistance (Discovery Rain) and weight savings (Charger) to preclude some freak accident that might put me back off the motorcycle and bicycles for yet another extended recovery period.

FWIW: I went nearly 50 years without breaking a bone, including 40 years spent on bikes and motorcycles despite a few shunts on and off the track. The last 10 weeks has been a living hell not being able to ride, hence the desire to go the 'belt and suspenders' way with my footwear. After all, the armored jackets and pants have more than paid their dues over the years... not sure why I never thought twice about not having more lower leg protection on road as well as off.

Haven't priced them recently but when I purchased a few years ago http://www.newenough.com/ was competitively priced and they are good about exchanges for different sizes. Even at that time there was little price differential between stores. Previous Sidi purchase was a Honda dealership.

What he said, great people to work with and great prices.

What he said, great people to work with and great prices.

I've heard good things but checked and slim pickings in the 'on sale' and 'closeout' bins for size 42 boots, never mind a Sidi Off-Road boot. The latter are all listed / sold at MSRP per the gal with the lovely voice who answered their phone.

Last edited:
Checked out the Crossfires at a local dealer today and wouldn't you know, the only size they didn't have in the TA version was mine.

That said, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of the SRS models in a size 43 that was "close enough" as they felt wonderful. I would have never imagined an MX boot could feel that comfortable right out of the box. The SRS are more narrow than the TAs which is the primary source of the difference in fit.

Unfortunately, the SRS sole is clearly not a good choice for all-weather road use so I while tempted because of the very nice fit I opted to pass on the SRS model. To be fair, while the TA's sole also isn't ideal for the street it can be re-soled by a cobbler using Sidi's Discovery Rain boot lug soles or just about any other boot sole you might want.

So, I'll likely pull the trigger on a TA model in size 42, locally if I can find a pair at one of the other two Sidi off-road dealers. Too late to call and check today. Definitely overkill for the street but for my situation and want for lateral bracing it's an amazing design that really doesn't need any break-in period. As for water resistance one of the very nice folks at Pro-Moto in Woodstock noted that he found himself standing in a foot of water in his brand new pair of Crossfires while helping his daughter remount her trail bike after stalling out in stream crossing. No water penetration whatsoever.

Pure opinion follows:

I have had 3 pairs of Sidi boots. After a few years I wore out a pair of On-Roads. Bought a second pair of On-Road boots. A couple of years later I wanted the convenience of the side zipper so bought a pair of Thunder boots. Eventually wore them out too. I still had/have the second pair of On-Road boots, but last summer while spending the summer on the road the Thunder boots were pretty well worn, and stopped being waterproof. I bought a pair of inexpensive boots at the rally in Gillette. Back home over the non-summer (no real winter here) I have been mostly wearing the On-Road boots. Heading out this summer I plan to wear (out) the Concours boots I bought last year - and expect to replace them with another pair of Sidi boots - Thunder or equivalent current model.

I have had 3 pairs of Sidi boots.... - and expect to replace them with another pair of Sidi boots

While I've not yet owned a pair of Sidi motorcycle boots -- Oxtar & Alpinestar only -- I've been using Sidi's cycling shoes for about 20 years.

I think between my wife and me we have about 8 pair of Sidi shoes and the only thing that gets worn out are the lugged soles on the mountain bike models. The uppers seem to respond well to leather care products and I'm not sure what might do-in the water barrier membrane in the winter boot models.

They ain't cheap, but they always feel wonderful when you slide them on and have proven to be durable with minimal care and feeding. I'm hoping these MX boots prove to be the same; however, I must note that on a pound-for-pound or material content basis the Sidi MX boots are a bargain compared to the cost of Sidi cycling shoes.

Alas, no one within 50 miles (3 different authorized dealers) had my size in stock nor did three different authorized small-biz Etailers.

So, with fingers crossed, I've ordered a pair from one of one of the larger Etailers who offers free shipping and always seems to have some type of coupon offer out there. With any luck I'll see the new 'shoes' late next week and they'll fit as expected.

Hope you have good luck as I did. Could not order my size from U.S. supplier in size needed. Ordered from a shop in London, they shipped FedEx, had them 3 days later and saved 20 bucks. That was 3 years ago. Happy feet since.

Hope you have good luck as I did. Could not order my size from U.S. supplier in size needed. Ordered from a shop in London, they shipped FedEx, had them 3 days later and saved 20 bucks. That was 3 years ago. Happy feet since.

We'll see. I would have preferred to bag a pair from a local dealer even at a higher cost just to keep the dollars in our community and to support their biz. However, it would appear the smaller sizes (42 and 41) just aren't something even the stocking dealers keep in stock: 43 and up are covered nicely with a very robust inventory.

Everyone is happy to order them, but only if you're confident you'll be taking them home vs. making sure they fit before sliding the four Franklins and a Grant over the counter, never mind paying the tax man his 7%.

So, as I said, fingers crossed the ones I've got coming will be a good fit. If not, they have an no-fee exchange policy so long as you complete the transaction by buying the product in a different size that does fit. Of course, any back-and-forth shipping quickly erodes the initial savings afforded by the free shipping (one way) and $20 coupon that yielded about a 12% net savings vs. store bought.

We'll see. I would have preferred to bag a pair from a local dealer even at a higher cost just to keep the dollars in our community and to support their biz. However, it would appear the smaller sizes (42 and 41) just aren't something even the stocking dealers keep in stock: 43 and up are covered nicely with a very robust inventory.

Everyone is happy to order them, but only if you're confident you'll be taking them home vs. making sure they fit before sliding the four Franklins and a Grant over the counter, never mind paying the tax man his 7%.

We have a well regarded motorcycle gear stop here in Dallas called Moto Liberty https://www.motoliberty.com/list_prod.asp?CatID=11&SubCatID=8 that has a good range of products with a full size range. They stock sizes down to a men's size 5. Size 42 Euro is a US size 8 Size 41 Euro is a US size 7 and so on.

It appears the pricing goes off of a "Suggested retail" hence most places on the web seem to be at the same price. Moto Liberty offers free shipping and they are great people to deal with in case you need to swap.

Combat Boots here;

I ride offroad fairly frequently and bought Aerostitch Combats, made by SIDI. Tough is an understatement and they are heavy, kick anything kind of boots. Not waterproof per say, BUT are indeed watertight in near floods:). These are not comfy kiking boots and have soooo much heavy leather, it takes an extended breakin period to walk any distance. Mine have been fine for over a year now riding GSA1200...These are a GS riders boot and not really for the pretty street fashion buffs...Randy

The Sidi Crossfire SRS for a commute and street riding is like taking a Abrams tank to a station wagon fight. It's a very odd choice.

:ear

Back