• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact Sport

devauxb

Hi Folks;
Was looking at replacing the Metzler Roadtec Z6 Sport Touring tires on my 2002 R1150RS and noticed that Metzler now offers a new tire called the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact Sport. According to the Metzeler sight the Interact Sport is:

"The successor of Roadtec Z6, able thanks to the revolutionary INTERACT™ technology to offer the best performance answering the new needs of the modern sport touring riders.
New INTERACT™ technology guarantees a progressive and intelligent pressure distribution all along the profile ensuring performance exactly where needed for high adaptability to different riding styles
Flexibility of usage thanks to new highly efficient compound mixing technology designed to give maximum stability in all riding conditions
Increased silica / carbon balck ratio improves total wet behaviour for maximum confidence in every weather condition."

Sounds like the equivalent of the Michelin Pilot Road 2 with multiple compounds.

Metzeler still offers the 'old' Roadtec Z6 (less $$). So not sure whether to go with the new or old tire.

Anybody installed the new ones yet, or concluded one is a better choice than the other?

Oops just saw similar thread:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=34964

Nevermind, sorry!

Last edited:
I like my Z6's on my GS(real sticky) but they are evaporating in the center in a huge hurry. With the wife a bit (125lbs) and 1890 miles total they are seriously flat spotting. I think I'll be lucky to see 5K miles.

z6's

I had Z6's and switched to PR's because I couldn't get many miles on them.jjI needed a new set of tires this past fall so I put the Pilot Road II's on. Best thing I ever did. They are wearing great with almost 5 thousand miles on them and they handle great in Rain and hot day twisties. I found my tire of choice. Metzlers are great tires but I fell PRII's are a much better tire choice for my K12RS.

I had Z6's and switched to PR's because I couldn't get many miles on them.jjI needed a new set of tires this past fall so I put the Pilot Road II's on. Best thing I ever did. They are wearing great with almost 5 thousand miles on them and they handle great in Rain and hot day twisties. I found my tire of choice. Metzlers are great tires but I fell PRII's are a much better tire choice for my K12RS.

I'm not sure what you mean by "many miles" but the last set of Z6's on my K12RS gave me 9,400 miles, which I thought was great mileage. They are excellent in the rain, and do handle very well. However, before I switched to the Z6's, I burned through two sets of Pilot Roads (not the II's) and although a nice tire, they didn't handly as well as the Z6's, I got much less mileage, and one set wore so weird Michelin warranted them. Haven't tried the PRII's yet. The Z6's give me the big grin so I'll try a set of the Interacts next, me thinks.

Really, though, there are a lot of great tires on the market now. It's great to have choices!

tires

The set that came on the bike went for 5200 miles and the second set of Z6's went for about 6800 miles. I also check my tire pressure religiously before I take the bike out. I thought the tires were out of balance so I had them rebalanced. Nothing was wrong. The tires just wore uneven on the front and the rear wore a high ridge right in the middle. I also had the proper air pressure. Even tried going a little higher as the dealer advised but to no aveil. I did have the old Z6"s on other bikes and they seemed to be not too shabby but they did not like my K12RS. Go figure.......

Back