• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for Ride from Austin, TX to California PCH 1

tthouses

capt. paul
I have posted this thread in the 'ride section' and was advised to do regional. In any case, looking for ride route suggestions leaving from Austin, TX late April, heading to California with the goal of doing Pacific Coast Highway north to maybe the Redwoods and then head back. Time limit is about 12-14 days. Prefer to do camping as much as possible.

Also, this is my first big ride in some years. If there is anything that you think "you gotta have this on your bike" let me hear from ya. Mucho appreciate all your input.

Paul
Austin, TX
tthouses@sbcglobal.net
R90/6

thanks to the folks who gave me their suggestions

I have posted this thread in the 'ride section' and was advised to do regional. In any case, looking for ride route suggestions leaving from Austin, TX late April, heading to California with the goal of doing Pacific Coast Highway north to maybe the Redwoods and then head back. Time limit is about 12-14 days. Prefer to do camping as much as possible.

Also, this is my first big ride in some years. If there is anything that you think "you gotta have this on your bike" let me hear from ya. Mucho appreciate all your input.

Paul
Austin, TX
tthouses@sbcglobal.net
R90/6

thanks to the folks who gave me their suggestions

I'm not sure where you plan to join CA1, but between LA and SF, it's called the Pacific Coast Highway and north of SF, it's called the Shoreline Highway, I believe. :)

Anyway, I like the section north of SF the best. It's less crowded, the road is more interesting and the views are more dramatic. Big Sur, south of SF, is not to be missed, of course. There will be redwoods along much of the way, but the Avenue of the Giants, south of Eureka is worth the trip. If you can, score a campsite in any of the parks there.

The California State Parks are pretty wonderful and are generally cheap. The sites are generally spacious and most have hot showers available. You can make reservations for them online, which is helpful.

Bear in mind that the coast can be chilly, so pack your electrics. If you get out this way, look me up. If you're around the Bay Area on a weekend, I'd love to take your for a tour up some of the nice roads here in Marin. There are a couple diversions that are worth the trip, particularly heading up to the top of Mt. Tam.

Also - if you smell eucalyptus, be careful. The eucalyptus trees deposit an oil on the road, which can be very slippery when mixed with a bit of early morening dew.

Late April to Early May is a great time to come up to the north coast. CA1 here really is dramatic. As KBasa noted, it is cool. Today is gorgeous sunny here in Mendocino, temp at noon is 58 F. It does not change that much from season to season. The ocean was unbelievably blue this morning on the walk into work here at the Inn. Sunset last night was unbeatable. Besides CA1, there are lots of side roads that are wonderful all up and down the coast - over 600 miles worth of CA - You might check out pashnit.com, a site dedicated to riding CA roads. If you get tired of the camping by the time you get this far, or just want a fellow Beemerphile to shoot the breeze with, stop by. If time allows, I'll even take a ride with you. Gotta Have? Camera with lots of memory!

Back