• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS - I never thought I would ask.

Gps

Following good advice given so far,determine what you want your GPS to accomplish. some units have NA maps preloaded.No fussing with computer. You can use it to monitor your speed in MPH in the US likewise in KPH in Canada.(may save a speeding ticket) You can have waterproof if its mostly on the bike. I like to see elevation while riding in the mountains. I use an earbud for voice directions in unfamiliar traffic without taking my eyes away from traffic. It can be hardwired or battery ( my battery is 18 hrs).It is also used in the car. It is small enough to be carried in a pocket. It sits in a ram mount.

I also use a new unit in a tank bag. Touch screen is easy to operate BUT glancing down to read the unit takes eyes off the road and is very dangerous IMHO. battery on this unit is only 4hrs..
Also,if you are far from home and breakdown,a GPS will provide precise co-ordinates for help.

I've had GPS for 3 yrs now and it has improved my riding pleasure. My 2 cents worth.:ca

Greetings,

The most universally accepted and easy to use GPS devices are made by Garmin. When you are chatting at a rally about how to get your GPS to work, chances are everyone will be talking about either a 2610,2720,2820 or Zumo in various flavors.

There are also the x76 units which have better screens but as marine units they have too many buttons. I consider them unsafe for MC use.

The only way to build a turn for turn route on your PC and follow it to the foot on your GPS is to use the unit software to build your route, with Garmin this is Mapsource.

What I prefer is to build a waypoint file in my mapping software of choice (Street Atlas) and then download it directly to the GPS.

I will then navigate waypoint to waypoint or build a quick route in the GPS. I will download routes from SA but to work I allow the unit to recalculate.

I like the 2820 which are selling for $245 although with no internal battery it might be tough on an airhead as I like to leave the unit on all day. Next choice would be a zumo 550.

One of the best uses for the GPS is calculate shortest. This is usually the twisty way. :eat

GPS Vendor

http://getfeetwet.com/
I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 enroute from these folks for my R100RS along with a mounting kit plus shipping for $ 264. They have other models, new and refurbished, for less than that. My order is for a refurbished model listed for $ 215. The motorcycle mounting kit includes a separate power cable. I selected the 2820 for its motorcycle friendly features and bluetooth. It still has Garmin support. Hope this helps.

Back