Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tie-downs

tie-downs

Is there a particular brand or type of tie downs preferred with this group?
    Where did you get yours?

Any additional equipment to consider besides the tie downs and rubber hooked straps?

TIA
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Yellowjacket
    I prefer the ROK straps with the loop ends. No hooks to slip and nothing to potentially scratch the finish. Also, they're easy to get into on the road.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Yep. ROK straps.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I used Helen Two Wheels' straps for years and then one day bought some ROK straps. Superior in some ways, but just don't give me that tough security that the Helen straps give me. I've used them several times and half expect a connection to pull apart...But that's just my paranoia.

I'm confused again.

Is the question about "tie downs" to tie a bike down - as in on a trailer; or, perchance, is the questions about what to use to tie stuff down to the bike.

It does make a difference. ROK straps would fail miserably in the former, but sometimes do OK in the latter.

So what are we trying to tie to what???
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

scqtt
    ROK straps for tying stuff to the bike.

Classic Red Ancra for tying the bike to a truck or trailer.

I do not think I would use anything else in either situation.

If it's tie-downs to a trailer,

I have had superior service from folks at Ramp Connections up in Wisconsin and their products give me absolute confidence: http://store.rampconnection.com/prod...91acac91e98236

Larry Johnson
    El Paso TX

tie downs clarification

trailer.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Getting lost...
    A board member recommended these - http://www.powertye.com/ I purchased and used these during the Wisconsin rally for the trip across and back the Lake Michigan ferry.

Well made. The soft-ties are attached so you can't lose them and they are made in the USA.

I think these were the ones - http://www.powertye.com/product_info...roducts_id=127

Since it's for trailering...

Originally, I purchased a set of tie-towns (with soft ties) that had two ratcheting straps and two pull-tight straps (that's the Ramp Connection package). I ultimately wound up getting another two ratchet-type straps, simply because I could never get the bike to sit up straight....

ROK Vendor at Johnson City Rally?

Does anyone know if the ROK vendor will be at this year's Johnson City Rally?
    MOA #140107
    BMW R1200RT

Tie downs for a trailer:

I agree - Ancra are very good.

Some folks use ratchet straps. I hate the things. They are futsy to put on and worse to loosen and take off.

I just use the thumb-latch type. There is a trick to tightening them however. Grab the handlebar and lean the bike a little, then pull the strap tight. Repeat on other side. Repeat again, repeat again.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some folks use ratchet straps. I hate the things. They are futsy to put on and worse to loosen and take off.

I just use the thumb-latch type. There is a trick to tightening them however. Grab the handlebar and lean the bike a little, then pull the strap tight. Repeat on other side. Repeat again, repeat again.
    Funny, I can never get the thumb style even reasonably tight. I have a bunch of the ratchet style and use them reguarly, so I don't find them fussy at all, and I can get a bike tied down tight even by myself.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Straps and tie downs

Rok straps. Aerostich also makes various size lops that you can anchor to. They work great or you can make your own by getting some nylon straping. Cut them so they are about 18-20 inches in length and then sew the ends together. Same thing that you buy only lots cheaper. You can then loop them around racks etc. with regular straps. www.aerostich.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Funny, I can never get the thumb style even reasonably tight. I have a bunch of the ratchet style and use them reguarly, so I don't find them fussy at all, and I can get a bike tied down tight even by myself.
    You didn't seem to have any problem lashing Alan's bike to your stand Saturday using the non-ratchet style straps.

// marc