• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool Kit for an airhead GS?

Y

yo_vandy

Hello, I have a '90 R100GS that is missing the factory tool kit. I am looking for a tool kit to replace the factory kit and would really prefer one that will fit in the underseat compartment (so no large extensive kits, just the basics). Any thoughts and experiences with kits would be helpful. I noticed that Cruztools has a BMW specific kit, but it seems to be oriented toward newer oilhead/hexhead bikes. I am basically looking for something that I would use only in an emergency roadside repair/adjustment, I have garage with decent tools at home for any regular maintenance/repair work that comes up. I am tired of putting together a kit of my regular tools everytime I go for longer rides. I would rather just have something that is on the bike at all times, even if it is of limited scope and lower quality. Thanks in advance for any help.

HF Tools?

You could always build a kit at Harbor Frieght Tools and leave it on the bike at all times. Thier tools are somewhat better than the bike kits and cheap enough to not break the bank. "Aerostitch" out of Diluth also sells some tools, so check their website:). I like that place and shop there myself. Actually both places I mentioned:). Randy:usa :thumb

pawn shops!

Figure out what tools you want to carry that will fit the space you have, then visit a few pawn shops. In most cases you can by mix & match items for a couple of dollars each. Then there are the specials you see from time to time at Sears. When they offer packages at a discount around holidays like Father's Day, the price per piece can be less than a buck. Several years ago, I gave myself a 380-piece set of Craftsman tools for my B-day; cost was around $300 if I recall correctly or about $0.80 per piece. That said, watch for the sales on the smaller packages that have most or all of what you want to carry. If anything is lacking then hit the pawn shops.

Thanks for the ideas

I kind of forgot ahout harbor freight. That is pretty bad news for the tool kit makers if their quality is comparable to harbor freight tools! Actually, I don't mind harbor freight, especially for this purpose. Given the price of most of the tool kits I have seen I could easily put together a comparable one from HF. Hopefully, this tool kit will see no use at all, as it will be for roadside use only (wishfull thinking, but hey without a little faith you would never ride 'em in the first place). The pawn shop suggestion may be good too because if I remember right pawn shops almost always sell tools individually?

I looked at the touratech kits and they are just too expensive for me. The aerostich kit seems ok but it is a little pricy for what is in it. I know, someone on BMWMOA who can't even afford tools, who would've thought. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Hello, I have a '90 R100GS that is missing the factory tool kit. I am looking for a tool kit to replace the factory kit.

You didn't say why you wanted to replace the factory tool kit. Is yours missing?

Away from home where I am well equipped, I did a clutch job including main and transmission input shaft seal replacement as well as oil pump O-ring replacement using the factory took kit on my R65. I even had the swingarm off.

For the purpose you describe, my OEM tool kit worked fine, considering I've only needed it once in my nearly 20 years of BMW ownership.

Cruztools EconoKIT M1?

The OEM tool kit is missing from my bike. Right now I do not have a tool kit on the bike. Globalrider, that is good news about the usefulness of the OEM kits though as they are pretty basic, airheads just don't need alot of different tools. That is why I don't think I will go with the Cruztools BMW specific kit, as it seems to more oriented toward post airhead BMWs.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Cruztools EconoKIT M1? How does it compare to what is included in the OEM kit? It seems to be small enough to fit in the underseat compartment yet has most of what I think you might need. It is also reasonbly priced.

'78 Beemers came with;

Really good tool kits, that had a LOT of tools for nearly rebuilding the whole bike in a pinch. I still have the bike and the tools, since new:). R100/7...There used to be an upgrade toolkit too, with about another third more tools than the stock kit. Place like Bob's BMW in Maryland would know where to find these, as he sells everything Airhead still! You should give him a call indeed, but I imagine the stock tool kits are pricey$$$. Randy:usa

Back