• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ZTechnik Windshield Advice

DXMENON

Hi Everyone,

I've seen many Ztechnik windshields. I would like to know if it is worth the investment. I ride a 06 RT. I would like additional protection from the wind. However, I do live in FL and it is hot here. Since I wear ATT GATT, I want wind blast when it is hot. Is it better to stick to the stock windshiled in hot weather?????

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I've seen many Ztechnik windshields. I would like to know if it is worth the investment. I ride a 06 RT. I would like additional protection from the wind. However, I do live in FL and it is hot here. Since I wear ATT GATT, I want wind blast when it is hot. Is it better to stick to the stock windshiled in hot weather?????

Thanks.

I've got a ZTechnik screen on my '06 RT. It works for me but, then again, I don't live in Florida. I've ridden with it extensively throughout the U.S. southwest in summer and didn't die from the heat. You could easily put the OEM screen back on for the summer if you chose to.

Wind noise

On my '01 GS it eliminated the wind noise. That sold me. Had the zTek for 5 years now (and the pipe + cat elim adaptors, the bike runs cooler and loaded - 2 up w/gear - has the power feel of the stock unloaded bike - little loud though...)

Check out CalScI http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200RTprod.html if you're comparative shopping. Great design, less money and works great. Extremely smooth and quite airflow and great for warm weather. Made specifically for the 1200RT. Ask around as I took this advise from some of the other members including our president when the question of windshields came up and I could not be more pleased. No back pressure when raised.

If you end up with the Ztech, you probably want to switch out your stock windshield struts for the ones from West Tool http://www.westtoolff.com/index.html . The stock BMW ones will fail when you put on a larger windshield and try raising it at speed. ( Known problem) Not always mind you, but they are a good insurance policy.

Let us know what you end up with.

Calsic Recommendation

RT Randy,

I looked at your Calsci windshield recommendation. I think you might have changed my mind. Their website is simple but informative. I see that you live in Dallas and it's hot there just like FL. What size did you choose?

I ride a 08 rt and have had the ztechnik on for about a year. i am five foot ten...with the windshield down i get full wind from the neck up...i would never go back to the oem...great investment

RT Randy,

I looked at your Calsci windshield recommendation. I think you might have changed my mind. Their website is simple but informative. I see that you live in Dallas and it's hot there just like FL. What size did you choose?

I had spoken to someone at Calsci at the time I ordered mine and based on my size, I went with their size medium. I'm 6' even with an inseam of 30" and it works real good. The 2 inch extra width seems to really help on the shoulders. I didn't do their yard stick test shown on their website.

I bought my 1200RT at the same time as my friend bought his so the two of us left the dealer on two new bikes. Since we ride together a lot, we have switched bikes from time to time so you get an instant comparison. He still has the stock windshield and my bike left the dealer with the Calsci installed. My bike has never been ridden with the stock shield, in fact I have the stock shield stored without a scratch.

The air flow on the Calsci is extremely smooth even above the 3 digit range and it allows me to open my face shield in hot weather without a lot of buffeting. The stock shield seems to be more long and skinny. If you've been riding with the stock shield, you notice a big improvement.

Regarding the other brands of windshields out there, anyone who tells you they're good happens to be right. They all do a pretty good job. I had a Cee Baileys on my older RT and enjoyed it plus have tried the Airflow brand as well. I just think the air flow on the Calsci due to it's form along with that cut out makes a huge difference.

Calsci Recommendation

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Calsci today, a sunday, and got a reply back in 11 minutes. Nice to have great service.....

The gentleman at Calsci named Mark recommended a medium due to the hot weather and my characteristics.

I'm going to order a medium and see how it goes....

Thanks everyone.

Back