• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

slip-on rain boots

Rtbluestreak

Just throwing out a general question to the general populus! Who makes the best rain boots that will slip on easily and pack down fairly small. I ordered one pair and sent them back right away as they were stiff and tough to put on. Can't imagine how they would've been to put on once your boots were a little wet. I wear gore-tex lined motorcycle boots but as anybody knows who has ridden in the rain for long periods of time, they aren't the total answer. Thanks for the help.

Rtbluestreak

High top Totes(cheap and fold right up) Hint--slip a small plastic shopping bag over your riding boots before putting on any overboots. They will slip right on!

Attachments

• rb.jpg
    rb.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
My Sidi boots have 7000k so far and some was actually underwater riding in a torrential downpour(that consumed my cellphone in my jacket pocket) with no wet feet. The zipper and flap has shown me to date that I don't need the overboots.

If you use a boot cover, make sure the heel, or other portion of the bottom is ope, both for traction and to release water once it gets in. I rode through a downpour with my "covers" on, and they filled up with water! I would have been dryer had I not bothered to put them on. In fact, the water weight in them made it dangerous. When we found a safe place to stop they went in the trash.

If you use a boot cover, make sure the heel, or other portion of the bottom is ope, both for traction and to release water once it gets in. I rode through a downpour with my "covers" on, and they filled up with water! I would have been dryer had I not bothered to put them on. In fact, the water weight in them made it dangerous. When we found a safe place to stop they went in the trash.

The Chokko boots I use and posted above have a complete sole such that no part of the riding boot is exposed to the rain. It's a hard rubber that does not slip easily.

Your caution is not applicable universally.

I got snookered by the "plastic bag over your boots" tip when I was in Alaska. Gave it a try. Yeah, your Totes will go on easy, but they will slip down when you don't notice. I found this out when I stopped for a flagman, put my foot down, and the bent over Tote dumped its load of water into my boot. Went back to the old standard Talcum powder on the inside of the Totes.

The Chokko boots I use and posted above have a complete sole such that no part of the riding boot is exposed to the rain. It's a hard rubber that does not slip easily.

Your caution is not applicable universally.

Yeah, I'm sure there are better versions of what I had, though the one's I had weren't exactly cheap. The problem was probably due to the vast amounts of water we were riding through, and the spray coming off a truck in the next lane. It was so bad for a short period I could not see through my face shield due to the water, like a wave. The water must have been running in from the top, even with the elastic and hook/loop closure, and with the closed bottom, had no where to go. The boot cover looked very much like what you posted, but did not have a "soled" bottom. I'll stick with water proof boots and deal with "damp" feet once in a while.

If you use a boot cover, make sure the heel, or other portion of the bottom is open.

The ones I bought at Louis or Hein Gericke in Germany are.

I was thinking the same thing you were. I'd sooner have a half-sole which is what I have. I've been in full day heavy rain rides with mine.

I have used Totes and an open healed over boot that I picked up from Whitehorsepress.com (IIRC). Totes packed better but I like the over boot more.

The totes pack up nicely but I kept ripping or wearing holes in them. As a result they filled up with water at the most unfortunate times.

The open healed offered good protection with the exception of a down pour in Nova Scotia I had no business riding in anyway. They werenÔÇÖt cheap as I remember but they lasted three seasons until I lost them.

Back