• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

blowing fuses

J

Jeffhorn

The misceant involved is a 1997 F650 "Funduro". The 15 amp fuse has began blowing regularly again. It was doing the same last summer but retightening the battery cables fixed the problem. Now that spring is here it's doing the same thing all over again. I have cleaned and tightened the battery terminals but fuses still blow. Any ideas out there?

My 1977 Honda CB750A has blown its main fuse ever since it was new. Honda came out with a recall in the late 70's to replace the fuse block. Still never helped. To this day, it still blows the fuse. No real reason that I have ever been ever to figure out. I even got rid of the fuse block all together, replaced it with three inline fuses. It still blows a fuse about once a season. It typically happens when your on an exit ramp coming of the interstate. But it has been known to blow a fuse while sitting at a stop light.

I just carry a box of fuses with me and pop new one in when it happens. This doesn't help solve your problem, but maybe it will give you an idea or to where else to look - like the fuse block.

Look here for some help from the Chain Gang, http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ElectricalMiscFAQs.htm#Tracing Problems Where the Fuse Blows all the Time

You may want to verify the reason for the fuses blowing before changing the box.

If you think you want to add a switched fuse box,
DSC03541.jpg

You'll need to move your voltage rectifier to here,
DSC01994.jpg

If you are interested I can tell where to find the hardware.

Ken

If you have a fuse that blows for no apparent reason, you really have to find out why. It's not safe to have things fail randomly on a motorcycle.

A 15A fuse will not carry 15A indefinitely. 80% of the rating is the continuous maximum current as a rule of thumb. I would suggest that you measure the current in the questionable circuit to verify it's always less than 12A.

If it turns out to be more, then you know why the fuse is blowing and you can decide what to do to fix it.

Back