• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Test Ride Tomorrow K1300GT

J

JT_R1200RT

I Rode the R1200RT Saturday. I am coming off of a 1995 ZX11 setup for touring. I was pleasantly surprised with the R1200RT. It was a nice ride and I liked the riding position, and the handling was good. I have to try out the K1300GT though. I looked online at the FJR and Concours, but want something different. It will be interesting to see how the two styles compare. I like the classic style of the Boxer, but will I be lured over by the 1300? :bolt

...will I be lured over to the 1300? JTBMW

I would expect that, coming from a ZX-11, and liking the Hexhead, you'd like the GT even more, because it is more like what you are used to. But keep in mind, it's not a sport bike.

Some riders who come from multis can't get used to boxer twins, and vice versa.

Anyway, have fun, and welcome.

Well the BMW shop got squeamish today because we have some heavy wind, they didn't want the possibility of the bike getting sand blasted, so test drive is postponed until Saturday.

I had some time and had an opportunity to take a FJR1300 for a drive. Solid bike, they did a good job on the shaft drive, and it handles well, but feels big, steering was slow but very predictable, I was surprised though at the vibration I was getting through the bars, it was more than my ZX11. It's a good bike, what you would expect from a Japanese bike, its got a big power band, but I found the R1200RT more flickable in the 35-60Mph range.

Well I can say that both the R and the K bikes were superb. But when I weighed everything the R1200RT won. Its quicker steering and much lighter feeling front end, along with probably 75% of my riding being shorter trips made the R1200RT stand out as a better choice. The K1300GT is one nice bike though. :dance :dance :dance The power was smooth and very linear. They did a great job on this engine. The handling was good, it cruised well on the open freeway and did well in the twisties. The uniqueness of the Boxer just seemed to call out to me this day.

JT

Nice choice, congratulations. Made the same choice late last summer. Loving the bike and the handling. :dance

+1 for the boxer. I rode the RT, LT, GT, GSA in that order, all in the same day. That darn boxer won me over, even when in my mind before test rides I expected to like one of the inlines the best. I'm getting the GSA next month. I think what helped me make a decision, was when a fellow out in the parking lot of the BMW shop told me to ask myself "if you can only have one of the four bikes, which one will you be able to do everything you want to do with your next bike?" Then he said " but it really doesn't matter. You'll eventually find room in your stable for at least one of the other three.

Congrats on your choice. One thing we should all do is make sure we thank the dealers who allow us to compare the bikes with actual rides. Seems only BMW and Harley will let you test ride bikes before you buy them.

Well I can say that both the R and the K bikes were superb. But when I weighed everything the R1200RT won. Its quicker steering and much lighter feeling front end, along with probably 75% of my riding being shorter trips made the R1200RT stand out as a better choice. The K1300GT is one nice bike though. :dance :dance :dance The power was smooth and very linear. They did a great job on this engine. The handling was good, it cruised well on the open freeway and did well in the twisties. The uniqueness of the Boxer just seemed to call out to me this day.

JT

You're going to enjoy that bike -- I know I'm enjoying mine. The lightness in the steering and the lighter weight gives me abilities I didn't enjoy on my HD. Slow parking lot maneuvering riding two-up is easy even in the gravel. And I just love that boxer twin. And I'm getting about 47 MPG riding fully loaded and two-up -- the touring range is great. I know the GT has its superior qualities -- a young lad blew by me some weeks ago out in the Houston countryside -- but I appreciate the middle-weight feel of the RT.

Good choice

... But when I weighed everything the R1200RT won... The uniqueness of the Boxer just seemed to call out to me this day.

JT

I've been riding an 1150 RT for a just few months now. If there is a bike with a better combination of comfortable cruisability and nimble quickness, I'm guessing it must be that hex head of yours. Welcome and enjoy!

Back