• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Russell Seat Disappointment

J

JANMILLER

Bought a bike with a used Russell seat. Pillion is too high for my wife, so asked Russell if it could be re-sized. got this harsh disappointing reply:

Hello,
What happens is when some one buys a Russell seat from some one else the warranty is voided, because each seat is built to each persons measurements. It will be a new build which would be an S-1 price code. For a velour insert you are looking at $390.00. We would need an order form first to get you on the calendar. We will also need riding position of her. We are booked out until May 21st. It will take about two weeks to get thru production once the date has started. If you have any other questions feel free to write back.
Heather

this is just plain robbery... And very very disappointing from a company with such high regard.

So.. FYI...

Jan...

Their position makes all the sense in the world. It's a custom seat made for a P.O. - why would modifying it to a new owner be included in a warranty? Warranty should include workmanship and the like - not the fit to some new butt.

this is just plain robbery... And very very disappointing
Jan...

Meaning no disrespect, but I disagree with you. I think it is unreasonable to expect a company to redo a used product for you, which they originally prepared as a custom product for someone else.

Just my $.02.

We bought a used Russell for our '92 K and were fortunate in that the seller and his wife were just about the same weight and height as us. Of course that worked out well and we find the seat an excellent addition. Your observation about the height of the pillion seat is something that we found but adjusted to. Mary is 4'11" so the K was tall to begin with. The bike and seat combo made it a bit of a stretch for her so I bolted on a cruising peg on the left side so that she has one extra step getting on. Quite a conversation piece that modification is! Anyway, the seat is like the Works shock.... custom made for the user. Getting a used one that matches your needs is difficult but you will not be disappointed with either a new or modified one. Maybe keep the seat and modify the pegs? -Bob

I have to agree. Russell is correct: new rider, new seat, new sale. I don't think their reply was harsh, maybe curt. If the seat was made for her, and not proper, I know they'd work with you. But a seat that worked for the person it was made for can't be expected to be correct for a new person to use.

If you were writing because the seat was failing in some way, like the stitching was failing, that might be different if it was not old.

I also have to agree with Russell, their seat custom made to fit the original customer. I just bought a used Russell seat off E-bay. I checked with the seller before I bid on the seat to see if it would work for me. This is a chance you take when you buy a used seat. I recomend that you decide what the seat needs. more or less foam padding for your wife. most any upholstery shop that works on motorcycle seats can adjust this for you. we have one in Florence S.C. that is very good. good luck! :thumb

I didn't see anything Harsh or out of line with Russells reply.

You asked if they could redo the seat for your wife. They answered you with the price and measurements they would need and the current time frame they could do it in. Are you such an important person that you should just be rushed to the front of the line and taken care of for free? I mean come on. The seat was not built for, nor paid for, by you.

In my opinion that expectation is what is "Harsh and out of line"

Whats next. The used bike you bought is not the color you wanted so BMW should repaint it to your preference, for free of course? :scratch

Their position makes all the sense in the world. It's a custom seat made for a P.O. - why would modifying it to a new owner be included in a warranty? Warranty should include workmanship and the like - not the fit to some new butt.

Didn't expect them to mod it for free... *THEY* brought up 'warranty', not I.
I'd be happy to throw some bucks their way. But not 400 of 'em... I was expecting 150 or so....

I didn't see anything Harsh or out of line with Russells reply.

You asked if they could redo the seat for your wife. They answered you with the price and measurements they would need and the current time frame they could do it in. Are you such an important person that you should just be rushed to the front of the line and taken care of for free? I mean come on. The seat was not built for, nor paid for, by you.

In my opinion that expectation is what is "Harsh and out of line"

Whats next. The used bike you bought is not the color you wanted so BMW should repaint it to your preference, for free of course? :scratch

This is astonishing... I am not rich, and cannot spend money like water. I expected to pay a reasonable amount for a mod, and never asked to be in the front of the line, where did you pull THAT out of???

I was certainly not expecting an attack by my.. brothers... sorry I posted...

We bought a used Russell for our '92 K and were fortunate in that the seller and his wife were just about the same weight and height as us. Of course that worked out well and we find the seat an excellent addition. Your observation about the height of the pillion seat is something that we found but adjusted to. Mary is 4'11" so the K was tall to begin with. The bike and seat combo made it a bit of a stretch for her so I bolted on a cruising peg on the left side so that she has one extra step getting on. Quite a conversation piece that modification is! Anyway, the seat is like the Works shock.... custom made for the user. Getting a used one that matches your needs is difficult but you will not be disappointed with either a new or modified one. Maybe keep the seat and modify the pegs? -Bob

thanks for the suggestion. Problem is she's tall and it puts her up into the windstream..

Didn't expect them to mod it for free... *THEY* brought up 'warranty', not I.
I'd be happy to throw some bucks their way. But not 400 of 'em... I was expecting 150 or so....

In all likelihood they could build a new pillon seat from scratch at less direct cost to Russell than modifying an old seat.

Many different people have ridden behind me on my Russell equipped 1150RT without complaint and I'm not just talking about around the block.

My wife has to get on the RT before I get on - exactly as if she were going to ride solo. Then she moves from my seat back to her seat. PIA = yes, but it works every time. RT is on center stand, of course.

Jan,

I guess what is important is where do you go from here. I'd recommend looking for a local upholstery shop or similar business to make the mod for you. I don't think it is rocket surgery and any involvement by Russel seems out the question.

Kevin

Your expectation is like that of someone getting an ill fitting suit at the Salvation Army store and taking it to the tailor that made it and expecting a break on making the suit fit you. Simply not going to happen. :dunno

Your expectation is like that of someone getting an ill fitting suit at the Salvation Army store and taking it to the tailor that made it and expecting a break on making the suit fit you. Simply not going to happen. :dunno

It certainly could happen if the tailor was getting paid for his services as Jan indicated he expected to do with Russel.

It certainly could happen if the tailor was getting paid for his services as Jan indicated he expected to do with Russel.
Thats why I said "expecting a break" on making it fit. He was hoping not to pay full price. I'd have given that a try too! But if I was told "no", I wouldn't call it "robbery" as the OP did.

thanks for the suggestion. Problem is she's tall and it puts her up into the windstream..

good point. didn't think of it that way. Maybe someone local to take a few notches out of the seat? In the windstream can be very wearing for pillion. However, if you plan on any distances maybe finding a way to get the best seating possible might be worth a Russell remake. Like they say ...."if mama ain't happy...." After all of our miles together I really endorse that quip. Mary says that the Russell is perfect and she does not tire at all (her excellent leather pants seem to help as well.... 14hrs seems fine). - Bob

My new to me Russell arrived today. Great condition, I put it on the bike allready. tomorrow I'll go for a spin and check it out. from sitting on it in the garage I think it will be fine...

Jan,

I guess what is important is where do you go from here. I'd recommend looking for a local upholstery shop or similar business to make the mod for you. I don't think it is rocket surgery and any involvement by Russel seems out the question.

Kevin

This.

I notice that on the MOA Forum, there are often a lot of either stupid replies (jokes) or harsh unfriendly replies. Your post was a good one. We don't agree with your position, but certainly you shouldn't be derided for it. This is why I rarely post here. It is much more brotherly over at XPLOR and you can join free.

Come on over, we'd love to have you.

Robo

I don't think Jan's post was all that bad. It may have been missing the point (cost) but there was no other references from Jan regarding warranty or having the alterations done for free. To be fair we did not see the original email to Russell either. (and don't want to)

I am also not surprised by the response. Russell is a "top of the line" seat producer and can justify the cost because people are willing to pay for it and because they provide great service to the original owner. It also appears that Russell gets the same type of questions day in and day out and had a canned response. Maybe they could have taken the time to ask a few questions first or just provided the standard rate information but they clearly covered all the bases in their response. This saves time but may offend some interested parties.

I say we all gather around the campfire and have a :drink and just let this one roll off.

Ok, I am prepared now....go a head hit me:stick

Back