• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Russell Seat Disappointment

I bought an 1150rt with a Rich's custom seat and thought how cool is that until I went more than 200 miles and it was just killing me. Living in Seattle I called him to see if he could modify it, Well no way that was going to happen. I went in and he totally rebuilt it from the ground up and made so many changes to make it fit ME that there was no way he could have just made minor adjustments. Sat in his shop all day watching it go through all the steps. There was a lot to it. I then went on a 3000 mile ride and found that the seat was still not right and call Rich up and made and appointment and at no charge he made all the required modification like he should and said if it is still not right to just let him know and he will do what ever is required to make it right. Bottom line it fits me and only me now and it took a lot of work to get it right for me. So without you and your measurements it would never be right and that is what you get when you buy a custom seat.

This is astonishing... I am not rich, and cannot spend money like water. I expected to pay a reasonable amount for a mod, and never asked to be in the front of the line, where did you pull THAT out of???

I was certainly not expecting an attack by my.. brothers... sorry I posted...

Jan, sorry so many had to jump to conclusions like that. They could have responded with a few questions, but this kind of attack is, unfortunately, not uncommon in these parts.

another alternative

Another alternative, very close to your expected expenditures, is a CalSci windshield. Don't know what kind of bike it is, but we just put a CalSci on my RT (the Rick Mayer seats are great, but my wife was also in the wind) and it has solved the problem. It is very quiet behind the screen, and all the buffeting of her helmet is gone. Just a thought.

BTW, if what I said in my earlier post was perceived as an attack, I sincerely apologize. I had intended for it to be a gentleman's disagreement, or a different perspective.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Another 2 cents...

I used to own a Russel seat and liked it a lot, but at that time they pretty much had a monopoly on the market. Back in the day they only used to work 4 days a week and that was that, 6 weeks wait to go into production. Now you have other options... I think a much more reasonable approach is to take your bike and wife to a custom automotive upholestry shop. They should be able to rework the seat for you to fit your wife at a much more reasonable cost than what Russel wants. Other options are also out there, such as Bill Mayer or Corbin. Best of luck.

I don't blame Russell for all the reasons previously posted. Russell's response seemed to the point and professional. Certainly not "harsh."

I was certainly not expecting an attack by my.. brothers... sorry I posted...
There's been no "attack." People are simply disagreeing with you. If you think you've been attacked, I invite you to post the same thread verbatim at ADVrider and we'll compare responses! :laugh

That said, good luck with your saddle! Do a search here and at other forums and you'll find lots of opinions and options. Let us know what you decide to do. In that regard, everybody here is on your side. :thumb

Last edited:
I like the fact that the responses on this forum are so matter of fact and right to the point. Yes, some of the time the replies seem a bit blunt. Sometimes the truth stings a little. But, when I come to the forum I am looking for a solution to my motorcycle related problem. This forum does a fantastic job of providing that. I also find that many of the posters go out of thier way to not hurt any one's feelings. When did motorcyclists get so sensitive anyway?

Learning to not take myself so seriously and not taking everthing so personal has been most liberating.

Please don't sugar coat it on my account, I promise to behave like a mature adult, even when I don't want to!:p

Mark from Maine

Back