• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

You have a friend in Lima for the 2005 Rally...

Can we get a map and recommendations of the local liquor stores? :drink :buds :beer

Also a list of good non chain restaurants would be cool... :eat

BradfordBenn said:
Can we get a map and recommendations of the local liquor stores? :drink :buds :beer

Will have that information available to all. Incidently State liquor store is within walking distance. Make you happy? lol

We are trying to have a menu from all restaurants available at hospitality area for all to peruse at your leisure.

BradfordBenn said:

They'll have that there, but two of my recommends are
The Bistro on Main (2nd block south of the Square); higher end fare

Burgundys, on Cable Road, very consistent, good quality and price, good atmosphere for fun at the bar.

Head north on 75 to Findlay for Japan West if you like good sushi, etc.

West North Street in Lima has Mark Pi's dine-in (not like the drive-thrus) for good Chinese.

The Kewepe is a must for a hamburger. Go to the original one downtown across from the municipal parking garage, on Elizabeth St.

The Meeting Place on Market St. has good coffees and lunches.

Best Pizza; Fat Jacks, 3 locations.

Looking for a hole in the wall, let me know!

Routes

Hey Mike,

I lived in Lima for a couple of years in the mid-60s and haven't been back since. I bought my first BMW, a 1966 R50, when I lived there but I got it from a wonderful guy named Bob Beasley? who had a dealership in Camden, Ohio that he operated out of his barn. Anyway, I'll be coming over from Baltimore and the routes you suggested are the ones I had decided I'll probably take. The rides around Lima are not great by hill country standards but getting there from the east are great.

I corresponded with another guy from Lima off this forum who has restored a couple of vintage BMWs. I have his name and email at home. Do you know him?

Thanks for all you help and I hope to meet you there.

LR

Long Rider said:
Hey Mike,

I corresponded with another guy from Lima off this forum who has restored a couple of vintage BMWs. I have his name and email at home. Do you know him?

Thanks for all you help and I hope to meet you there.

LR
Send me his name/email, eh?

Look for me in the evenings, around the Beer Garden stage area!

BradfordBenn said:
MMMMMM Sushi.... I am there! :thumb Who is going to join me?

Do they have hot and cold Sake?

There are other places for sushi, including another place in Findlay near the mall, but Japan West has been doing it for years (before the boom.........), serving area Japanese businessmen, and the quality seems better. They are on south Main in the downtown business district. They have hot and cold sake. I suggest calling for a reservation, esp. on weekends, as they are limited in size. Ask to be seated in the sushi bar area, unless you want the chop-chop grill experience. (not for me, I just like the sushi bar)

merrittgene said:
I'm in, and probably BoxerGrrlie, too.

Itadakimasu!
That's funny, Gene and I were just talking about a sushi run sometime! To incorporate it with the National would be even more fun.
:eat
I think that's my flavorite smilie. Kinda scary.

boxergrrlie said:
That's funny, Gene and I were just talking about a sushi run sometime! To incorporate it with the National would be even more fun.
:eat
I think that's my flavorite smilie. Kinda scary.

Might be easier on a Wed. or Thur. night, if you are going in the evening. Or make a reservation well in advance.

" Name: Japan West
Address: 406 South Main Street, Findlay, OH 45840
Phone: (419) 424-1007
Fax: (419) 424-1128
Review: "Japan West is the best Japanese restaurant, ever better than those I??ve frequented in Japan and in the New York Metropolitan area."
- Patricia P. Salomon (salomon@mail.findlay.edu) [April 19th 1999] "

Don't know that I would call it the best; I've been to some pretty killer ones around the country, but it's certainly good enough.

Hmmm sounds like we might have a gathering getting together.

I do not like the chop chop chop show, it takes away from the idea of having conversations with friends. So far we have MerrittGene and BG, Mike are you in?

Could be tough for me; depends on what night and what else is going on that night...........I'll be working that week and hittin' the Rally in the evenings, and also having a keen interest in the Beer Garden bands.................still, a ride on a warm summer night to the sushi bar sounds great! July, Ohio? Lightning bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Humidity!!!!!!!!! Pockets of cool and warm air at night as you ride along.........................yum.

Sushi

It is my opinion the best Suchi Bar is in Fukuoka Japan. :twirl :eat

Henry's rolls.... HAI!

John Ephlin said:
It is my opinion the best Suchi Bar is in Fukuoka Japan. :twirl :eat

My personal fave is Yu Shang in San Rafael.

BUTT... I've never been to Fukuoka.

Ian

Sushi

Well if you were ever in Fukuoka you would never forget it, besides havinmg the best Suchi they also have the prettiest Bar Girls in Japan. Having spent two tours at Itazuke I speek with the voice of authorith.

Sushi is like BMW's...

You know you are in the minority when you crave sushi. As soon as you hear someone else mention sushi, you want to immediately associate with them. At least that's the way I see it. It is especially true here in my new state of WV. Sushi=BMW and hamburgers/hotdogs=Harley's. I know who I want to hang out with, but I am all alone in this town. I am definitely in for sushi at that place in Findlay, OH. It sounds like we(forum posters) are going to have to have one of those meet and greet things for internet people.

MG :clap :type :thumb

Findlay, Any Suggestions?

I joined the MOA just a few weeks ago and have never been to an MOA rally. That will change though, as I have just booked a B&B (Rose Gate) for 4 nights in Findlay, having discovered there was "no room at the inn" in Lima (I'm not a camper, by the way). According to the B&B's owner, it would seem that at least one other BMW type has also booked the same four nights in July (the owner was trying to figure out what was up in Findlay, being a little surprised that someone would book 4 nights in Findlay, especially this far in advance. I let him know that the attraction was really in Lima). All this to say, does anyone have any suggestions regarding Findlay, like restaurants, Do's/don'ts etc. (I've seen the posts about sushi at Japan West)?

Mark I Live In Findlay

Mark, Findlay is a short 30 miles north of Lima and the rally on Interstate 75. There are several good resturants in Findlay depending on what you what to eat. If you have your hotel at the B&B then you can have any food you want from fine dining at the Bistro and Rucellie's, both on Main Street, to and a great place most do not get to called Diamond River, on Tiffin Hwy. Great food and lower price. Any questions just call at 419 420 7422 or once at the rally come by the hospitality booth and see me or Howard Snider.

Oh by the way, the sushi at Japan West is excellent!

Fred Turner
THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION :twirl

Back