• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

You have a friend in Lima for the 2005 Rally...

Re: Motels to avoid

Ol'Salt said:
The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

what are you, some sort of sovereign-democracy enthusiast? :D

Mike,
Would you tell us why you would avoid these motels?
Thanks,
Wade
You wrote: The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

punchw said:
Mike,
Would you tell us why you would avoid these motels?
Thanks,
Wade
You wrote: The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

That wasn't my post, but I concur. They are "fleabag" variety hotels, with a transient crowd.

Mike_In_Lima said:
That wasn't my post, but I concur. They are "fleabag" variety hotels, with a transient crowd.

sounds like they have plenty of grass though. i wonder if they have an acre...

:D

Hey Mike, thanks for being our "insider"!

:idea

I was thinking you might save yourself the hassle of answering the same questions over and over if you put together some kind of list and posted it.

For example, I think everyone wants to know the top places to eat, drink, sleep, shop, ride, visit, see, etc. We would also like to know the places to *avoid*.

Personally, when I travel, I look for the hidden gems...the greasy spoon diner, and the hole-in-the-wall bar...you know, the places the locals go.

Thanks again!

Gene, I dont think you will find too many bars in Lima that aren't local bars. it isnt like Lima has a Hard Rick cafe, or other touristy trendy bars.

merrittgene said:
Hey Mike, thanks for being our "insider"!

:idea

I was thinking you might save yourself the hassle of answering the same questions over and over if you put together some kind of list and posted it.

For example, I think everyone wants to know the top places to eat, drink, sleep, shop, ride, visit, see, etc. We would also like to know the places to *avoid*.

Personally, when I travel, I look for the hidden gems...the greasy spoon diner, and the hole-in-the-wall bar...you know, the places the locals go.

Thanks again!

I'll be working on that down the road; for the most part, though, I would suggest that what looks like is going to go on inside the Rally will be more interesting than most of the outside diversions. I know they are planning on a good lineup of live music during the evenings, for example.
Nonetheless, I will probably start a thread down the road such as you suggested, answering some common questions, etc.

MBB

Public thanks!

Mike, I justs wanted to write publicly what I've emailed you privately: thanks so much for helping all of us out.

This will be my first MOA rallye, and I'm looking forward to wonderful Ohio "blue highways" (I always try to avoid slabs) coming from Western Maryland, from which I'll be entering West Virginia and then Ohio. Mike has promised to send these scenic suggestions to me -- but as has just been suggested, Mike, you might want to send them to the whole list for all who are similarly situated.

Thanks again, buddy!

Woulg Like the Help

Hey, Mike

Howard Snider and I are going to be the Chairpersons for Hospitality for the rally. I live in Findlay and work in Lima. Hospitality is about helping all to have a great time and as you have indicated in some of your posts find the neat places in and around the rally.

We met with Sue Manke at the fair grounds this past Saturday and she has a GREAT TIME planned for all. Howard and I have several others like yourself you are not exactly BMW MOA members but they are enthusiastic about the area and know much. Would you be agreeable to meeting with Howard and I and some others to scope out a plan to show the "Nay Sayers" what a great riding time can be had in the Ohio area.

If you would be interested please advise. You can call me at my office in Lima at 419 996 4841.

Fred Turner::clap

Sure!
Sounds good to me. If I haven't been able to reach you, you can also call me at 419-331-3699 ext 112

Mike,

(member #114620!)

p.s. I haven't seen much naysaying....what is the gist of it?

Way I look at it, 90% of the attraction is the rally itself anyway; plus, the location should help more people attend, given the #'s that live within an easy days drive.

Re: Public thanks!

mdcruiser said:
Mike, I justs wanted to write publicly what I've emailed you privately: thanks so much for helping all of us out.

This will be my first MOA rallye, and I'm looking forward to wonderful Ohio "blue highways" (I always try to avoid slabs) coming from Western Maryland, from which I'll be entering West Virginia and then Ohio. Mike has promised to send these scenic suggestions to me -- but as has just been suggested, Mike, you might want to send them to the whole list for all who are similarly situated.

Thanks again, buddy!

You bet! I haven't forgotten!! I've travelled most of the routes, as have others on the forum, so we'll get some good routes together before long.

MBB

routes and site

I was coming back from work related stuff in Columbus Indiana Thursday, headed to my east of Cleveland OH home. I was enjoying some nasty straight but peaceful and scenic back roads. Then it dawned on me, I could stop in and check out the Lima site. So I jumped on the slab, 70 east to 75 north. I sure hope they are done with the construction there in time for the rally. I had a few cars try to take my front tire off diving for an off ramp.

We need scenic routes in. Coming in from 75 does not put one in a tranquil state of mind. But there are plenty of back roads in that will. Sue will need articles for the MOA magazine, scenic routes / suggested routes to the rally can take up much of an issue. Glad you locals are volunteering to help at the rally, in planning and to write some articles.

Dibs on camping by the pond under the trees.

Bob Malehorn
Volunteer Committee Chair
05' Lima

"Dibs on camping by the pond under the trees"

A pond, this place has a pond! Shades of the DuQuoin Rally site. Ambassador Manley will remember, I'm sure.....

Mac

Got you Voice Mail

Mike I recieved your voice mail last week. Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been out of town to several locations and did not have the time to stop and discuss the subject with you.

I will call you this coming week and discuss how we can present all the stuff to do in the area.

Thanks again

Fred Turner:clap

Re: Public thanks!

mdcruiser said:

Thanks again, buddy!

It depends upon where/how you want to enter Ohio, and how direct/indirect of a route you want. Lots of SE and S Ohio routes are fun............the large Detroit-based auto mags have used southern Ohio for years to do road tests, loving the terrain and road quality.
Anyway, for you, how about Route 50, then north on Route 16, (before Parkersburg), across the Ohio River to the river road, Route 7, to Marietta. Just out of Marietta, pick up scenic route 60 to scenic route 83. Take 83 all the way route 36 at Coshocton, 36 is another great ride. Take 36 west to Mt. Vernon, take 13 to north to 95, 95 west to Marion, at Marion take 309 all the way right to the Rally site!!! There are several diversions/alternates you could make. You are coming in one of the best ways for nice roads. I cam also recommend 550 out of Marietta. Take 550 to scenic route 13, just outside of Athens. Take 13 north
(p.s. at this juncture you could also take route 56 all the way from Athens to up near Urbana, Ohio; this is the hypotenuse; used to take it all the time, still rural but not quite as scenic; at Urbana, take 68 north to 117, then 117 to the Rally site; not a bad route all and all; if you take 56, consider stopping at Old Mans Cave, or one of the several state parks right around there) through Newark and on to Mt. Vernon, then pick up the directions above from Mt. Vernon to Lima.
I have been on all of these roads at one time or another; fun routes. Wish I had an immediate excuse to go travel some of these again!!

Let me know how you liked it, lucky dog!!!

Rides to 2005 Rally

Let me help Mike out some on the routes:

I recently purchased a set of DVD's entitled " Ohio Ride Guide" for $30.00 from :
http://www.ohiorideguide.com/

I have watched it and made copius notes so I can route you thru
roads with sweeping turns; twistys; hills; State parks; and good rest stops with great food on some of them.

Unfortunately most of these routes are from the East, or South.

Pa: Between cities of Erie to Wheeling W.Va
W.VA any city between Weirton and Huntington.
KY. any city between Maysville and Ashland.

I have put these on an Ohio map so pm me with city entering from and I can route you if the response isn't overwhelming. or you can purchase guide and route yourself at your leisure.

Coming from Indiana or Michigan, I would like to call on some riders from there for assistance as the roads on our side of the state line are pretty straight and flat with some exceptions

Will help as much as possible but I also have to prep for the rally.

Thanks for listening

Rides to the RALLY - Need Articles

Hey, Friends!

Let's get some of these routes down in writing, to share with the main membership. If you are reading this, then you are part of a small group of interested BMW riders. We need to move this information out to the main web page and the magazine --- and that's where you come in.

Please email me with your articles or ride ideas. As the rally chairman, it is my job to be sure to get the word out to everyone!

Thanks everyone. :)

Sue
mailto:sue@beemerhill.com

Time to jump this thread back up a bit! Anyway, with the time I have available, I am still available for your more difficult questions for the Rally; i.e. where can I find a vintage book seller in Lima.................!
If it's in the area, I know where it is. During the rally, I am available via phone at 419-331-3699 ext 112 or cell 419-234-4155 for the REALLY off the wall info requests.....................
Did I mention that the week is going to SMOKE, musically speaking, :twirl at the Rally?

Back