Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knight Riderz LED brake light

tdomek

Knight Riderz LED brake light

The recent thread about LED aux brake lights got me thinking.

I have wanted some kind of added brake light for my'04 R1150RT for some time. I saw a rectangular LED cluster at the West Bend National that I liked on another oilhead, but haven't been able to locate a vendor source. I have never been fond of Hyperlites; the cobby look and high price just turned me off. I saw the plug-and-play BMW aux brake light/licence plate combo at BMW of Daytona over Bike Week. It looked like it would satisfy my desires, until I saw the cost (!). DIY splicing and mounting don't deter me in the least, so I have sought better (read:cheaper) alternatives.

I saw a Knight Riderz LB02 http://www.cosmicleds.com/knightriderz/ on a tricked out Hey-you're-busted on Main Street Daytona Beach one night and thought it was cool but not sure I'd like the constant cycling back and forth. I just don't want to promote "target fixation" on my backside. Upon research I found them inexpensive ($27), readily available and in three flavors: sequencing, flashing, steady; flashing, steady; just steady.

Anyone out there have any experience with these little gems? The price is so low I may risk a purchase just on spec but thought I would seek input from our august and learned group.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by tdomek; 03-31-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added URL

Manfred
    Have you considered MotoElektik's ElectroPods? They are inexpensive, easy to mount and connect, and very good quality.

tdomek
    Quote Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
    Have you considered MotoElektik's ElectroPods? They are inexpensive, easy to mount and connect, and very good quality.
    I have; same appearance issues as Hyperlites, and the constant blinking when brakes are applied is undesirable to me. I like the idea of the aux light to blink for a short time and then go steady, or just steady when the brakes are applied; still pondering that question...

Thanks for the input!

Manfred
    Here's a cheap but effective product that does what you want - if you have LED brake lights or have it only connected to LEDs: http://autolumination.com/braker_installation.html

I used the single circuit module when I installed this device on my old Yamaha XS850.
    Last edited by Manfred; 03-31-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdomek View Post
    I have; same appearance issues as Hyperlites, and the constant blinking when brakes are applied is undesirable to me. I like the idea of the aux light to blink for a short time and then go steady, or just steady when the brakes are applied; still pondering that question...

Thanks for the input!
    I know you dont like the Hyperlites, but you do know that you can make them stop flashing, right?

tdomek
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    I know you dont like the Hyperlites, but you do know that you can make them stop flashing, right?
    Hyperlites; yes. ElectroPods; no.

I just put them on my C bike. They're great!!!

P-3 lights are large, very bright and programable. Check them out.
    http://p3lights.com/
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

I bought mine @ www.superbrightleds.com -they are in St Louis and sell so many choices that the website will entertain you even if you don't buy anything. I have several of there items on my license plate area and around that location both tail and brake light wired. Cheapest place with most selection I have seen.

Manfred
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbatman View Post
    P-3 lights are large, very EXPENSIVE! and programable. Check them out.
    http://p3lights.com/
    There - I fixed it for ya!

tdomek
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I bought mine @ www.superbrightleds.com -they are in St Louis and sell so many choices that the website will entertain you even if you don't buy anything. I have several of there items on my license plate area and around that location both tail and brake light wired. Cheapest place with most selection I have seen.
    Stumbled on their site yesterday; you're right, lots of stuff and very reasonable prices. I am think of replacing LOTS of bulbs with LED's; on the bikes, the cage, even the cat... oh, wait; no bulbs on the cat...

tdomek
    Yeah; checked them out too and they are VERY expensive.

Remember; the cheapest thing on a BMW is... the rider!

The added visibility does come with a price tag...like almost everything else in life...you get what you pay for.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

gvpurvis

Thumbs up

Seems like the folks at BMW took some of the complaining about the lack of LED brake lights to heart.Serra BMW of Denver has a LED set up that works.BMW took the LED setup from their RTP bikes and made it workable with the RT.Just plug and play.Canbus compatabile.Mine should be here in the next few days and I'll post pictures.

Manfred
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbatman View Post
    The added visibility does come with a price tag...like almost everything else in life...you get what you pay for.
    Yup - and the $25 I spent at http://www.motoelekt.com/ for http://www.motoelekt.com/electropod.htm was an excellent example of getting add visibility for a reasonable price. I got what I paid for - and I didn't pay beyond what I got.