• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which GPS?

G

ghostryder

It's time for a new toy, so I am looking at getting GPS however I am not sure which one would be the best. So If anyone has any information on which one that you use, all the good points the bad etc. I would greatly appreciate any information that you could share. Also what type of mount that you use, and the good bad etc. Thanks in advance.:D :dunno :D

I just got the Garmin 276C. It's got all the nice features of the V with a nice big color screen. I haven't used it on any trips yet, but like what I see so far.

I have two units that are both Garmin. Neither one has the autorouting feature. My brother also has two Garmin units, one of which has autorouting. After watching the aoutorouting feature work while riding with him in his cage, I know my next one will have it. I would also not ever buy one that was not waterprof. There are so many good units available out there, you just need to listen to the advice from others and find one that fits your needs and budget. I currently have an older Street Pilot and a 176C. I use a Ram mount and it works very well, making it easy to switch between vehicles.

I second the 276C. Just replaced my GPSV with it, much much better. I use the RAM mount, it is then attached to the original mount that came with the 276C. You by the small diamond RAM base and the holes line up with the mount that comes with the 276C.

I went with the Garmin StreetPilot III. It is incredible!

The autorouting feature is exactly why I got it. Plus, since it is an older model now, it is cheap. $450-500 new on E-Bay!

Comes with all the programs, connections and memory you need. The only thing you will have to add is a mount for your bike.

I made my own for a couple bucks.

Want my advice, check out the Garmin web site, use the compare features program, and go to E-Bay to purchase it.

Jim:brow

Another vote of the 276C.
Just did a 4300 mile ride in July. Worked GREAT!!!
Touratech is coming out with a mount that's lockable in September. The Prototype was at Spokane. Very nice.

For full function you need to get the City Select or MetroGuide Software. Heck, it's only money...

Greg

I've been a little reluctant to go the GPS route however I bought a used Garmin V off a buddy several weeks ago. Having just completed an 8,000 km/ 5,000 mile trip from Ottawa to Salt Lake I must say I really found it useful.

So another option is to purchase a used GPS at a good price.

Ghostryder said:
How did you make the mount, do you have a pic?

garmin%20mount%20front%20empty.jpg

This was my first mount. It worked well, but I should have made the braces out of stronger brackets.

garmin%20mount%20lt.jpg

garmin%20mount%20front.jpg

I'll post pictures of my latest mount when I get home from Calexico, CA on Friday evening.

The second mount was made by drilling and tapping a hole in the tripple tree, and mounting a U-bracket then a plate to mount the GPS. I have a SP III now, and like it much better. The Autoroute feature is great!

I'll pass on a note of caution with the garmin mount shoe for a base. I originally had my Streetpilot mounted with the base shoe until it cracked, and I nearly lost the unit.

Copy_of_GPS_Mount_008.jpg

After that I decided to get something better. I liked the look of the Touratech mount, but not the price, so I decided to build a similar style mount myself. It holds the GPS unit very securely, is easy to remove the unit from the mount, and it was inexpensive (as long as you don't count the hours spent building it).

It uses a RAM mount to attach to the bike.
GPS_Mount_001.jpg

GPS_Mount_003.jpg

The mount hold very securely, and the unit can be easily removed for security when parked without having to undo the RAM mount. This eliminates having to reposition the RAM mount every time.

GPS_Mount_004.jpg

I agree that the factory mount isn't that secure, though I never had any problems. That is why I made my new mount, pics on Friday when I get home.

I'd go for the 276C. I use a Garmin V and when I get the urge to upgrade, I'm going to the 276. It is designed for marine use and the screen wont wash out in bright sunlight.

Finally I post the pics of my home made mount.

site1006.jpg

Front not blocking the instruments.

site1005.jpg

Back, clean and simple and very effective.

site1007.jpg

site1008.jpg

As you can see it is effective and works, and best yet only cost about $10.

I have an SP III Colormap that I received as a gift, and I'm pretty much happy with it.

In bright sunlight while wearing dark glasses I can see the maps and routing, but cannot read the wording. That, I think, is my astigmatism as much as anything else.

The GPS can be very helpful, but don't throw away your paper map.

Also, don't go into autopilot while navigating with one. On a recent trip, the GPS showed the road swinging to the left in a wide, sweeping turn, but the road in front of me went straight ahead -- where the GPS indicated there would be woods and open pasture.

In that case, I opted to trust the asphalt instead of the software, you know?

Besides, most of the time, I like doing navigation using the Dead Reckoning Option.

Getting back to your question, which ever GPS you choose, you will get the same basic information: location, speed, distance to destination, distance traveled, etc. The two most useful aspects of information for me are (1) being able to anticipate something of the road layout ahead of me, and (2) knowing the distance to the next exit or town.

Since becoming acquainted with this one, and beyond the two navigation factors, the key issues for me are:

- Readibility (screen size, resolution, etc)
- Functionality (ease of use while riding)
- Reliability (general toughness)
- Mountability (stability, putting it on and taking it off, etc.)

All of those would impact my decision of "Which GPS?" if I were shopping for something else.

How many maps do you want to load in?

I have a GPS V and the biggest complaint I have about it is that it only has 19MB for maps. So it is very easy for me to ride beyond the maps I have loaded in one day.

I do like the autorouting and the ability to customize what fields are displayed though. My solution has been to travel with a laptop for updates through the day.

Jim, Great looking mount and I like the price. What did you use to make it? and have you had any problems with it since you installed it? Thank you everyone for all the help. :clap :clap

Ghostryder said:
Jim, Great looking mount and I like the price. What did you use to make it? and have you had any problems with it since you installed it? Thank you everyone for all the help. :clap :clap

It was very simple. I used a heavy duty "L" bracket for shelving, cut off one side to the correct length and bent it over into a "U" shape. The holes for the screws already lined up so I didn't even have to drill. Then I found a super cheap mount on e-bay for $5 shipped and used the base plate to mount it to the "U" bracket. With a long brass bolt, to prevent rust, I pulled it tight. The tube covering the bolt and applying pressure to the bracket on both sides is from an old black marker cut to the appropriate length.

So far, in about 2K miles, I haven't had any issues with it. It is stable, adjustable and only viabration blurring comes on about 3800-4100 rpm. Not a big deal. Best yet, it doesn't block the turn signal and indicator lights.
site1005.jpg

Back