• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route recommendations San Diego past L.A.?

N

nevada72

I'm in San Diego on business and I plan to rent a bike and head north to do some sight seeing for 2 or 3 days. Looks like I would head up 5 to 1 and work my way along the coast in L.A.. However, once in L.A. it looks (Mapquest) a little tricky staying along the coast. Is it easier than it looks?

I figured I would do the usual stuff once in L.A. - see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. But, it's mainly a road trip. Any help or suggestions (where to stay, eat, visit, ride, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Don't bother trying to stay against the coast through Orange and LA counties. It's all built up and the traffic is miserable. You'd be much better off taking I-5 to I-10 west and following that onto PCH (CA-1). Besides, once you pass Topanga Cyn, there are a ton of great little roads with little or no traffic on them in the Santa Monica Mtns. If you're going to be riding on a weekend, then stop in at the Rock Store or Neptune's Net.

I would recommend going to Vegas, then San Diego. This is the only time of the year LA traffic is tolerable on a bike that's too big to lane split. (read R12 or K12S)

I was there last week & the 28 miles from the Long Beach Airport to Wilshire Blvd (around Rodeo Dr) took WELL over an hour.

+1 on what DarrlRi said. Take the 10 West to Santa Monica and turn North on PCH. It's a beautiful ride once you get past Malibu, and some cool places he mentioned along the way. (Might see Jay Leno at the Rock Store)

I don't know if you will get this before you set out, but I'll give you my two cents. I live in L.A. and have taken plenty of different rides down to San Diego and I always love the mountains the best. The PCH is a lot of stop and go between L.A. and S.D. Set out from San Diego east and get to Ramona via I-8 to 76 and continue on to Hwy 79. Take that north, or take some diversions while you are in that area, definitely get a map. Once in L.A. you can then get to the coast on Topanga Cyn/ Mulholland, etc. The coast from those points on is a better ride. Less towns to go through and no red lights. Obviously you need more details so maps, etc., will pay off...and word of mouth of course! Enjoy and ride safe.

Saul - your timing is spot on. I'm having timing issues and I was just trying to work things out. I'm not sure that I can do the 2-3 days now and locals have recommended the ride into the mountains as well. I think I'll end up just doing a day ride tomorrow doing just that and later in the spring fly right into LA and ride north from there for 3-5 days.

Thanks all for the help!

Ride this;

Go to Julian, Palomar and the Borego Desert areas for some fun roads, away from the coast of course. Premier riding:). South through the Ocotillo flats, just east of the Mtns...to Interstate 8 and back through Patrero, along the Mexican Border. For some sights and people like no others, find Venice for babes wearing a lot of nothing and muscle guys, basketball and everything else under the LA sun...The Rock Store on Mulholland is a Jay Leno favorite and he used to show quite a bit, riding unreal rides. Randy:thumb :usa

Back